places to visit > abroad

Brisbane

<< < (2/4) > >>

T_B:
I’ll shut up but you did say “I’ve not spent much time in Aus” and mentioned Sydney. Get on Google earth and have a zoom around and you might think me less contrarian.

spidermonkey09:
I'm off to Brisbane in the spring for a few weeks research work. I've never been before, its the only major city in Aus I haven't been to. Heard conflicting things; some people seem to absolutely love it (a prof at my uni says its her favourite places in Aus), others hate it with a passion, definitely a marmite place. People I met in Aus used to refer to it as "Brisvegas" which might go some way to explaining it.

Queensland is objectively more dangerous than other areas of Aus in terms of crocs, snakes, sharks and jellyfish if thats relevant. I also recall that beach scene isn't as good as you'd think around Brisbane due to the box jellyfish which renders a lot of beaches dangerous for a good chunk of the year.

In terms of Aus more generally its an amazing place but after I'd spent a year there the relentless racism had become too much for me to bear. Queensland does not have a good rep in this regard. However, the climate is obviously awesome and the standard of living very good for the middle classes. I'm not ruling out going back for a few years if my partner gets a suitable job offer, but as you allude to dogs complicate the issue.

Paul B:

--- Quote from: spidermonkey09 on September 27, 2023, 03:12:33 pm ---Queensland is objectively more dangerous than other areas of Aus in terms of crocs, snakes, sharks and jellyfish if thats relevant. I also recall that beach scene isn't as good as you'd think around Brisbane due to the box jellyfish which renders a lot of beaches dangerous for a good chunk of the year.

--- End quote ---

Currently I seem to spend my time riding bikes which I believe has the main problem of being swooped by magpies (that aren't actually magpies).

spidermonkey09:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/03/sydney-council-shoots-aggressive-swooping-magpie

Paul B:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version