places to visit > abroad

Brisbane

<< < (4/4)

Paul B:
Thanks for all of the helpful input on here (and the lurkers that messaged me through other means). The consultancies are each proposing a sponsored TSS visa for ~2-4 years (they prefer the latter as the cost is spread further obviously) but they're in competition so I don't yet know which has won the work.

The offices are ~South Brisbane and ~Spring Hill if that helps with any further commentary. My original contact seems to have made life hard for himself by moving ~1hr out of the city.

From friends in Australia, I was under the impression climbing gear is quite tricky to get hold of / very expensive. Does anyone happen to know if that's the case with bikes (/ components) too? I'd imagine not.

Paul B:
Well, the original bid didn't quite work out how I'd hoped, in that consultant A (my preference as an employer) didn't win. Consultant B did win but they hadn't mentioned they were in a joint venture with the bits I was probably most interested in being delivered by consultant c.

However, out of the blue I got a message from someone at consultant A who presumed I still worked for them (to be fair to him, he had moved to Aus himself) asking how I felt about a short term gig out in Adelaide as someone with exactly my job title happened to have handed in his notice and their client needed someone to plug that gap. This was the 15/1 and since then it's been an absolute roller coaster of it looking to be on/off and originally what was meant to be a 3-month thing suddenly jumped up to 12-months (the day before I flew to La Gomera). We're back on my terms now and following the usual HR headache of onboarding and proving my degree is real etc. it looks as if I should be heading out that way for Mar, Apr and May. I'd be really grateful if anyone has any beta as beyond Duncan's post I don't think Adelaide was mentioned. The consultant and client offices seem (like everything) to be in the CBD.

SA Chris:
Obviously climate in Adelaide is much more amenable than Brisbane, Can get a bit wet in winter. my sister in law went to see friends who have moved there recently and she loved it. I think he is a keen cyclist, but mostly MTB.

spidermonkey09:
Great city. I drove across the Nullabor to Adelaide having just finished three months of graft on a gold mine site and I had an absolute whale of a time. This may or may not have had anything to do with being flush with cash and drinking enormous quantities of Coopers...(the red and the green ones are the best)

I can't offer any advice on where to live as I was in a CBD hostel but remember the cultural attractions of Adelaide being brilliant. great museums, galleries, food, and of course the Adelaide Oval, best cricket ground in the world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version