places to visit > abroad

Brisbane

(1/4) > >>

Paul B:
It's not something we can currently say yes to (the dog is circa 13 years old now) but recently we were approached by two separate consultancies offering us a package to work in Brisbane for ~1-3years. This isn't likely to go away as the contract they're both bidding for will last 7-10yrs and the work looks fantastic. I've worked with the people involved from both and like them with one being my boss during perhaps the best project of my career to-date.

I've not spent much time in Aus. but when we visited my BiL pre-pandemic I walked around Sydney wondering why I lived in E Lancs (we were staying/climbing in the Blue Mountains and getting the train in to see him).

Do any UKBers live there / has anyone here worked there (or Aus in general)? I fear it'll be slightly complex as our house being where/what it is I don't see that it'll be easy to reliably rent out which would probably mean a sale and getting rid of a fair amount of accrued crap (anyone want to buy a portaledge?).

chriss:
I lived & worked in Aus, but this was 13 year's ago. Overall I loved it, but Brisbane was my least favourite area. Melbourne was my favourite followed by Sydney. Personally the thing's I disliked about Aus outweighed the things I liked, so I didn't stay longer.

On the other hand my brother emigrated to Brisbane 7 years ago & absolutely loves it. He's never coming back! His quality of life, work/ life balance is much better. He can afford to send his kids to private school, which has been the making of them.

It's definitely worth considering, I had friends that stayed there, had their kids there & came back 8 years later.

T_B:
I spent a month putting up pallet racking in Brisbane. Enjoyed the job but it was by far the grimmest place I went to in Australia! Like Chesterfield but a bit more soulless.

Moo:
Given your history of injuries and the vast amount of dangerous wildlife in australia I'd recommend investing in a stout suit of armour to keep you alive if you're gonna head that way paul.

Paul B:
Thanks.

--- Quote from: chriss on September 27, 2023, 02:43:06 pm ---Overall I loved it, but Brisbane was my least favourite area. Melbourne was my favourite followed by Sydney. Personally the thing's I disliked about Aus outweighed the things I liked, so I didn't stay longer.

--- End quote ---

Do you mind expanding a bit? The one thing that concerns me is my old boss very much lives for work (although he doesn't expect that of his staff) and I'm aware that currently his family aren't overly happy there with his eldest having taken the choice to return to the UK for University this year.

--- Quote from: chriss on September 27, 2023, 02:43:06 pm ---It's definitely worth considering, I had friends that stayed there, had their kids there & came back 8 years later.

--- End quote ---

It's definitely being considered.

My BiL is back next year for his wedding to another Brit (they met in Sydney). I'm expecting they'll move back here permanently in the next few years to have kids and be nearer to her folks. I find it a little baffling after they've both been jumping the permanent residency hoops which has included staying in a role that wasn't ideal for whatever the required period is/was.

--- Quote from: T_B on September 27, 2023, 02:47:50 pm ---I spent a month putting up pallet racking in Brisbane. Enjoyed the job but it was by far the grimmest place I went to in Australia! Like Chesterfield but a bit more soulless.

--- End quote ---

5/10 Tom. I thought you'd tell me to get on with having kids and stay put?

--- Quote from: Moo on September 27, 2023, 02:49:34 pm ---Given your history of injuries and the vast amount of dangerous wildlife in australia I'd recommend investing in a stout suit of armour to keep you alive if you're gonna head that way paul.

--- End quote ---

I made Nat walk ahead when we were walking out at dusk, just to be safe you know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version