UKBouldering.com

Beach, bouldering, camping, kids where? (Read 5461 times)

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
Carreg yr Imbill might fit the bill. Criccieth and Black Rock Sands not too far a drive away and might fit the bill, but the climbing looks not as good. Porth Howel looks promising as well, though more pebbly than sandy.

Not been to any of these places myself but Imbill and Howel do indeed look quite good as long as you get the tide right.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
No way does this fit the bill, but found some nice problems at Fistral Beach Newquay, sandy/pebbly landings for the matless. For the benefit of future search results like.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess my dream is somewhere to stay that is within walking distance of a good sandy beach and some bouldering.

We've had a few trips to Cornwall where this requirement was satisfied...Lizard, Prussia Cove. None of this was camping mind. Godrevy probably be good too.

And I was wondering if there was an equivalent closer to home.

South Wales looks good, I've heard it described as Cornwall without the crowds.

Lleyn a good shout. I'd forgotten that I've been swimming off the beach right next to ysgo. Is any of the other bouldering on or near a sandy beach?

In my mind NYM and Northumberland don't quite fit the bill because you'd have to drive been the beach and climbing.

The Scottish stuff looks great if painfully far away for the Aberdeen stuff. Dumfries might be doable, need to look into that more. We went to Arran last year and that almost ticks the box with the bonus of some proper mountains thrown in too, but it did involve driving between beach, scramble and bouldering.

Lakes... I don't think there's a beach near st bees? But maybe one of the Lakes could be substituted....can't think of anywhere off me head.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I don't think there's a beach near st bees?

It’s right next to it but around the corner (to the south) from the climbing so not obvious when there. Pebbles rather than sand though.

T_B

• forum hero
The main St Bees beach is sand when the tide is out. There’s actually some bouldering 10 mins rock hop along from the beach but it’s not much. The main bouldering areas being much further around. Fleswick bay is a pebble beach with bouldering right off it. I used to go there as a kid (from Whitehaven marra)!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Lleyn a good shout. I'd forgotten that I've been swimming off the beach right next to ysgo. Is any of the other bouldering on or near a sandy beach?

Only bits I've been to near the bouldering, the beach is more gravel than pebble. I've not been to much of it mind. Some ace beaches nearby though.

Re Dumfries and Galloway, Thirlstane is also family friendly at the right tide, and sandy, but the sand is quite coarse and very shelly.

sdm

• forum abuser
The last few metres of the approach down to Ysgo are not toddler friendly either.

Lleyn has some great beaches for toddlers to spend a day playing on. And it has some great bouldering. But I'm not sure it has a beach that does both.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
It’s a long way but Gwenver would suit, beach, bouldering, cliff, surf, pub all walking distance, albeit a bit of a climb from beach to campsite.

tomtom

• forum hero
The last few metres of the approach down to Ysgo are not toddler friendly either.

Lleyn has some great beaches for toddlers to spend a day playing on. And it has some great bouldering. But I'm not sure it has a beach that does both.

The Ysgo beach is just west of the climbing and has a footpath and steps (I think) down to the cove. Lovely spot and you can scramble around a the wee headland to the climbing easily enough.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MLBCeoGvv5fK13de8?g_st=ic

petejh

• forum hero
Perhaps the ultimate in these Isles is west Donegal, Carrickfin for e.g.. Plenty of other beach bouldering spots around there too. Similar journey as driving to N.W Scotland but with a pricey ferry.

Although doesn't fulfil:
ideally not too far from Sheffield, where one can boulder, beach, camp and it's good for kids around 5. Good sandy beach is probably higher priority than good bouldering.
in the north of England/Wales?

chillax

• forum abuser
Seconding Pete, if willing to take a ferry, Donegal is a good bet. Carrickfinn, Muckross and Doagh Strand would fit the bill. Weather can be hit or miss, but no more so than Scotland. The islands are pretty nice too. Gola island in particular has a beautiful camping spot and mega trad, but no bouldering unfortunatey

Camping by the beach visible here

SA Chris

• forum hero
That looks great, is it granite?

petejh

• forum hero
Yes granite. Donegal has a mixture of granite, hard sandstone, quartzite and limestone, even some quartzite sport-climbing up to 8c!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Plus some decent surf..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Erraid on Mull has similar scenes less far away.

The beach at Ysgo is one of the area’s hidden gems but most climbers don’t know it exists as a rocky point separates. Or Alwm at the other end if you don’t like company. There is a bit of bouldering at low tide at Porth Oer, a great family beach. Robins has done some bits at either end of Hell’s mouth. For trad the Warren beach just north of Abersoch buts up against the quarries.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
There is also limited bouldering on the beach next to the climbing at Porth Ysgo (note to self to return to old projects which probably still remain...)!

FWIW I think the Llyn is your best bet. The campsite at Tudweiliog (Towyn Beaches) is good and the beaches are some of the best on the Llyn. And whilst I don't think you'd find camping with a 30 minute walk to climbing that would occupy you for more than a couple of sessions, if you're prepared to drive 20 minutes from a campsite to climb, you've got loads of options and a variety of rock types!

As mentioned the stuff at the end of Hell's Mouth is really good and you've also got Porth Ty Mawr and Porth Dinllaen as well as all the other crags mentioned.

Every visit I have there lately reveals new stuff, on a beach (or very near a beach) without a huge walk in. Feel free to DM me for more info...

mark20

• junky
#41 Re: Beach, bouldering, camping, kids where?
September 12, 2023, 09:38:48 am
Just back from a nice week on the South coast of Devon. Not exactly close to Sheffiled, but closer than Cornwall, and I get the impression it's a bit quieter. There's a campsite at Beesands, and Beesands beach is big, mostly pebbly, but some sandy bits around Torcross, which is a really nice spot and has a perfect boulder above a sandy landing. Apparently there is some bouldering at the other end of Beesands beach but I didn't check it out as apparently the landings are less good.
It's a long-ish walk, or short drive to Mattiscombe Sands which is a lovely sandy beach with low boulders at the back - some short steep problems and loads for kids to mess about on. Good swimming.
Further round, Pigs Nose Beach has a great steep boulder, and some easier stuff to mess about on.
The coast path is pleasant, seal spotting, fishing, and a few hidden sandy coves at low tide.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#42 Re: Beach, bouldering, camping, kids where?
September 12, 2023, 12:55:58 pm
Just back from a nice week on the South coast of Devon. Not exactly close to Sheffiled, but closer than Cornwall, and I get the impression it's a bit quieter. There's a campsite at Beesands, and Beesands beach is big, mostly pebbly, but some sandy bits around Torcross, which is a really nice spot and has a perfect boulder above a sandy landing. Apparently there is some bouldering at the other end of Beesands beach but I didn't check it out as apparently the landings are less good.
It's a long-ish walk, or short drive to Mattiscombe Sands which is a lovely sandy beach with low boulders at the back - some short steep problems and loads for kids to mess about on. Good swimming.
Further round, Pigs Nose Beach has a great steep boulder, and some easier stuff to mess about on.
The coast path is pleasant, seal spotting, fishing, and a few hidden sandy coves at low tide.

Enjoyed all those venues, great project at Pig's Nose low start to Wild Boar, felt pretty hard.

For anyone venturing down that way, the Pig's Nose Inn in East Prawle is a must https://www.pigsnoseinn.co.uk/ such a great pub

nik at work

• forum hero
#43 Re: Beach, bouldering, camping, kids where?
September 12, 2023, 05:28:12 pm
One of my all time favourite pubs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal