UKBouldering.com

Kilnsey Crag for sale (Read 8210 times)

yetix

• forum abuser
Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 03:39:48 pm
https://www.onthemarket.com/details/13291986/

Saw this today, could it have impacts on access in the future?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 03:43:45 pm
Short answer is no, its CROW land so the right to climb is protected.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#2 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 03:50:33 pm
Absolute bargain - get it bought!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 03:59:44 pm

What about the right to bolt though?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 04:07:00 pm
Bloody hell yes. One of the few internationally significant sport venues we have, would be a far better use of BMC money than the amount allocated to comps. Then they could possibly do something to sort out parking?!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 04:09:58 pm
Would a new owner be able to install some sort of massive damp course behind it to stop it seeping?  :-\

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#6 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 04:28:01 pm
Would a new owner be able to install some sort of massive damp course behind it to stop it seeping?  :-\

Get some horizontal directional drilling in there, divert it all into a pipe and sell the water in bottles? Special Kilnsey water?

@Feind.... who needs the BMC, I'm sure between Pete JH, Shark etc. they could have a whip round and get it out of petty change?

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 04:28:47 pm
Would this be a realistic possibility? 
I think the American alpine club or the access fund have bought some crags haven't they? 
Obviously would take some fund raising but might avoid a lot of problems in the future.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 04:35:58 pm
BMC already owns several crags, including Longridge, Stone Farm Rocks, Horseshoe Quarry, Aldery Cliff and Craig Bwlch Y Moch. No idea how much they were each for.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 04:42:53 pm
Bloody hell yes. One of the few internationally significant sport venues we have, would be a far better use of BMC money than the amount allocated to comps. Then they could possibly do something to sort out parking?!
I'll raise the question with the BMC body that has bought crags in the past, but the following things spring to mind (sorry to be a downer).
I don't think the purchase would help with the parking. The road and verge are managed by local Highways. I'm not sure the land package has any suitable areas for off road parking. The verge couldn't be widened without impacting the stream, which would not get approval in an SSSI.
A purchase would remove the risk of a landowner objecting to existing or new bolts, although it could actually complicate equipping work... How often do equippers currently seek permission off Natural England to bolt?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#10 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 04:47:07 pm
BMC already owns several crags, including Longridge, Stone Farm Rocks, Horseshoe Quarry, Aldery Cliff and Craig Bwlch Y Moch. No idea how much they were each for.

Nominal fees as I understand it. Sure Bonjoy knows more. Crookrise was £18k according to articles when it was bought. Longridge I understood to be a bargain due to the farmer who owned the land previously having a soft spot for climbers.

Also there is no problem with parking really; ample laybys within walking distance even on busy days.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 05:03:47 pm by spidermonkey09 »

Bradders

• forum hero
#11 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 05:21:10 pm
Surely in this day and age with all sorts of shit being crowdfunded the climbing community could make this happen. Pretty incredible opportunity to both safeguard future access and try to improve things (toilets maybe?) at one of the UK's most important venues.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#12 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 05:23:26 pm

Longridge I understood to be a bargain due to the farmer who owned the land previously having a soft spot for climbers.

I don't think this is true, the farmer had already sold the land to guy that owns the caravan park.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#13 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 05:26:04 pm
I was told that Horseshoe Quarry cost £1.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 05:26:54 pm
Surely in this day and age with all sorts of shit being crowdfunded the climbing community could make this happen. Pretty incredible opportunity to both safeguard future access and try to improve things (toilets maybe?) at one of the UK's most important venues.

If access is all but guaranteed, why would you spend money here rather than somewhere more at risk?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#15 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 05:38:53 pm
I was told that Horseshoe Quarry cost £1.
Still a rip-off.

Serpico

• forum hero
#16 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 05:46:21 pm

The problem with the BMC buying crags is that it can encourage landowners, who may have a crag on land with no development value, to ban access or make the crag unclimbable unless the BMC buys it. This is essentially what happened with Longridge - the landowner banned access and piled earth up against the face.

petejh

• forum hero
#17 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 06:56:48 pm
@Feind.... who needs the BMC, I'm sure between Pete JH, Shark etc. they could have a whip round and get it out of petty change?

Ziplines.. a mid-height via-ferrata traversing the length of the cliff.. children's ropes course.. merchandise stall selling 'Go Climb a Rock' and Lattice t-shirts  I can see it now  :greed:  What do you say Shark.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#18 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 08:17:09 pm

If access is all but guaranteed, why would you spend money here rather than somewhere more at risk?

This.

Stand corrected re Longridge, I think I got that off a Shark post on here!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#19 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 08:56:57 pm
Longridge was bought combining a whip round of climbers and bmc money.

Can’t remember exact figure.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#20 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 05, 2023, 10:07:50 pm
I think it was 8k raised and bought for 20k.   

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#21 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 06, 2023, 09:19:09 am
Crookrise was £18k according to articles when it was bought

Forgot about Crookrise, that sounds like a good deal. I might see if they will sell it on, I'll buy it and ship it up to Aberdeenshire!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#22 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 06, 2023, 05:02:51 pm

Longridge I understood to be a bargain due to the farmer who owned the land previously having a soft spot for climbers.

I don't think this is true, the farmer had already sold the land to guy that owns the caravan park.

Not what Dave Turnbull said to me - they got it off the farmer who as Spidermonkey says seemed to have a soft spot for climbers

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#23 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 06, 2023, 05:10:12 pm

What about the right to bolt though?

Quite. If an owner wanted to stop sport climbing they could by taking  the bolts out for starters. CROW access doesn’t extend to allowing putting bolts into crags. There are also other ways that a landowner could make things difficult if they wanted to.

Serpico

• forum hero
#24 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 06, 2023, 05:37:53 pm

Not what Dave Turnbull said to me - they got it off the farmer who as Spidermonkey says seemed to have a soft spot for climbers

Here you go: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/2007/10/the_bmc_have_bought_craig_y_longridge_for_us-40632

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#25 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 06, 2023, 07:44:25 pm
Given the right to close open access land for 28 days per year this could be a good opportunity for a moderately wealthy climber to avoid (some of) the queues…

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#26 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 06, 2023, 08:53:44 pm
I'm going to raise a motion for the SMC to buy it and make it a members only crag... Down with the sassenach  :devil-smiley:

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 06, 2023, 10:11:03 pm
It'll also include the sale of 'the most dangerous Strava segment' too presumably?

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#28 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 07, 2023, 01:00:37 pm

Here you go: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/2007/10/the_bmc_have_bought_craig_y_longridge_for_us-40632

Ha! Love the old skool youtube link to Mr. Lincoln cruising some classics in the early 2000s, mint.  8)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#29 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
June 08, 2023, 06:19:08 pm
BMC statement. Sounds like various wheels are in motion 🤞

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/Article.aspx?id=10611

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#30 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 16, 2023, 04:23:56 pm
Quite surprised but its been bought by an ex climber called Ian wilson. No plans to change anything so must have more money than sense. Fair play to him

Bradders

• forum hero
#31 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 16, 2023, 05:03:47 pm
Sounds like good news to me, nice one Ian.

geoffg

• regular
#32 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 16, 2023, 05:25:31 pm
Just met him at the crag. Seems a very nice bloke on first acquaintance.

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#33 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 10:41:21 am
Did it come up in conversation about why he bought it?

I’m just curious/nosey.

There’s not much to be done with the land: it’s CRoW, SSSI, within a NP, under a limestone pavement order. You prob get some Countryside Stewardship grants but not much.

I mean this in the sense that there’s prob very little that can be done to either improve or impede access for climbing.

I imagine a landowner could remove bolts, though that’s a lot of effort.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#34 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 11:29:45 am
Inheritance planning? IHT doesn't apply to agricultural land as I understand it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#35 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 12:22:54 pm
Interesting. There was a fairly substantial rumour going round that The North Face had bought it. Anyone know if there was any truth behind it? I quite like the idea that Ian gazumped them.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 12:45:59 pm
I was told TNF did bid for it, but were outbid (by Ian, it would seem).

Anyone know him from his time as a climber?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#37 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 12:48:01 pm
Quite surprised but its been bought by an ex climber called Ian wilson. No plans to change anything so must have more money than sense. Fair play to him
I'd say he has some sense, why not own Kilnsey as an ex-climber eh! Fair play indeed.

yetix

• forum abuser
#38 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 12:54:13 pm
Inheritance planning? IHT doesn't apply to agricultural land as I understand it.

I thought this only applied if the land was being used as agricultural land? Is that the case at Kilnsey? I could be wrong just what I thought my dad had said (he's a farmer). Unless it's part of a habitat scheme?

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#39 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 01:25:13 pm

Poor quality farming land on which you will never be allowed to build is not going to get you great returns. And £150k is peanuts in IHT terms. There are definitely better IHT dodges out there…

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#40 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 01:29:17 pm
Yep, true. Maybe it was simply an act of altruism!

Bradders

• forum hero
#41 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 04:03:58 pm
There's a chap I've seen at the crag a few times who turns up driving a bright orange Aston Martin, same bloke?

Anyway why does there have to be a reason? I really hope it was just a case of "man does nice thing for his community".

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#42 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 04:20:06 pm
There's a chap I've seen at the crag a few times who turns up driving a bright orange Aston Martin, same bloke?

Anyway why does there have to be a reason? I really hope it was just a case of "man does nice thing for his community".

Thats probably gorgeous George from the NE!

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#43 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 07:43:33 pm

Hear, hear. Not everything has to be an investment or make financial sense.

Sounds like a good result for the climbing community whatever the motivation.

petejh

• forum hero
#44 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 11:15:18 pm
I'm more interested in why TNF would supposedly bid for Kilnsey. Why? What would they have done with it?

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#45 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 17, 2023, 11:42:38 pm
For TNF, a fairly cheap publicity stunt. Brand ident stuff maybe?

I didn’t suggest the purchase was for any personal gain, I just asked why the purchaser bought it.

I also think that it would be unlikely any owner could make much material difference to climbers’ use of the crag (good or bad) given the limited extent of the land and the restrictions imposed on it. As I said earlier, best I could see is the right to close it for a few days a year…

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#46 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 18, 2023, 03:04:00 pm
As I said earlier, best I could see is the right to close it for a few days a year…

…and take out all the fixed gear if you really wanted to dissuade climbers and climbing

Potash

• menacing presence
#47 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 18, 2023, 03:41:47 pm
As I said earlier, best I could see is the right to close it for a few days a year…

…and take out all the fixed gear if you really wanted to dissuade climbers and climbing

Final roll of the dice in the Frankie Comes to Kilnsey bolt wars. Militant aid climbers buy Kilnsey in order to finally restore the route to it's A5 glory.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#48 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 18, 2023, 04:18:48 pm

Still think this is vanishingly unlikely, pretty much impossible to accomplish without serious knowhow and likely the employment of professional rope access, would cost a fortune as a result, and would be met by both climbers putting new fixed gear in and collective outrage from climbers, UKC, BMC etc. You'd have to really, really care.

Obviously hope it never gets tested but there are numerous crags across the country where this risk theoretically applies I guess.

Paul B

• forum hero
#49 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 18, 2023, 04:29:15 pm
"I for one welcome our new insect overlords"...

Anyway why does there have to be a reason? I really hope it was just a case of "man does nice thing for his community"

Being serious for a minute  :agree:.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#51 Re: Kilnsey Crag for sale
July 23, 2023, 06:42:46 pm
Very interesting to see it marketed as a carbon offsetting opportunity, all the rage these days!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal