UKBouldering.com

Lofoten (Read 3765 times)

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 10:10:17 am
Well, the ferry has been booked so looks like it's actually happening... from next week I'll drive to Lofoten via Bohuslän for ~5.5 weeks. Obviously psyched out of my mind but also a little overwhelmed with the possibilities! I've got the Rockfax guide but not the bouldering one yet. I know people who live in Bohus so sorted for recommendations there but would be very keen for recommendations in Lofoten? Ideally for slightly harder multipitches (6c-7c) and single pitch 7a-8a if possible. I'll also have my rope solo gear and boulder pads with me so happy for recommendations for easy classics or nice boulders.

Finally planned a trip where I felt compelled to purchase the cruise control retrofit kit for the van!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 10:44:43 am

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 10:50:53 am
That just looks bonkers. "AI, create an amazing looking boulder problem at an amenable grade in a stunning location".

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3 Re: Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 11:03:44 am
I'll give you a list of routes when I get back home tonight, but it will be out of date. Minnesrisset is great at 8a, and very very easy for the grade I'd suspect (I one hanged it twenty years ago, but it takes longer to clean than to lead unless you have a very strong partner). Butterarms eminently onsightable at 7c.

more to come...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 11:06:32 am
If you calibrate Scandi grades in Bohuslän you will feel like a super hero in Lofoten!

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 12:41:21 pm
Always thought this looked amazing.
https://www.thecrag.com/en/climbing/norway/lofoten/route/2894158254

Christ, maybe I should buy the boulder guide! That looks insane.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 02:43:06 pm
I'll give you a list of routes when I get back home tonight, but it will be out of date. Minnesrisset is great at 8a, and very very easy for the grade I'd suspect (I one hanged it twenty years ago, but it takes longer to clean than to lead unless you have a very strong partner). Butterarms eminently onsightable at 7c.

more to come...

Nice that's ace. Really psyched to check out some of the hard cracks! Minnerisset looks mental and I'm fairly decent on the sizes that seem to make up the majority of the climbing so maybe there's a chance  ;D Any FLMHMF to offer?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#7 Re: Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 03:49:03 pm
Minnesrisset is mostly hands. Everyone is strong on hands!

Staying with short routes, Rasmusexpressen, 7a+, two pitches, is good. Second pitch is the point. Riz-raz 7a if fine, if a bit short.

For medium-length routes, Vårkåt, 6c+ and Den siste sommaren, 7a, are both four pitches and side-by-side with short approach and an easy descent, so a good combination to do in a day. Very good routes.

Odins bue, 6c+, is 6 pitches, and 2 of them are incredibly good. Two approach pitches.

On the pillar of Helvetestind there are two good routes, The french pillar (6b+) (called The next best thing in the unreliable Rockfax guide) and Norwegian Sheep Range, 6c. The first pitch of Norw. Sheep range, as indicated in the first edition of Rockfax is more than 70m long, it is unlikely that they corrected this error for the 2nd edition. Around 7 pitches for these routes. Amazingly beautiful beach. Approach by boat (ferry).

On Presten, Korstoget 6c/+, Reisen, 6c+, Vestpillaren, 6b and Himmelen kan vente 6b+ are worth doing. Vestpillaren is in the new edition of Parois de Légende. All around 10 pitches.

On the north pillar of Vågakallen, Storpillaren 6c+ is good but loooong 16 pitches + a tricky approach and a bit of a nightmare descent. Haul on pitch 3 and 4, and climb the rest with a small rucksack.

When driving from the south, you can stop by the single pitch crag "Stiberg" a bit south of Narvik if the weather is good. The routes Pump-o-rama, 7b+, Flaket, 7b, and La Linja 7a are all three star.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Lofoten
June 05, 2023, 03:59:01 pm
Always thought this looked amazing.
https://www.thecrag.com/en/climbing/norway/lofoten/route/2894158254
I'm going to Lofoten for a cycling trip in August, currently undecided whether to take gear/ropes and tick some classic routes enroute.. but will definitely be stopping for this problem (and hoping some folk/mats are in-situ!)

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 09:51:39 am
Minnesrisset is mostly hands. Everyone is strong on hands!

Staying with short routes, Rasmusexpressen, 7a+, two pitches, is good. Second pitch is the point. Riz-raz 7a if fine, if a bit short.

For medium-length routes, Vårkåt, 6c+ and Den siste sommaren, 7a, are both four pitches and side-by-side with short approach and an easy descent, so a good combination to do in a day. Very good routes.

Odins bue, 6c+, is 6 pitches, and 2 of them are incredibly good. Two approach pitches.

On the pillar of Helvetestind there are two good routes, The french pillar (6b+) (called The next best thing in the unreliable Rockfax guide) and Norwegian Sheep Range, 6c. The first pitch of Norw. Sheep range, as indicated in the first edition of Rockfax is more than 70m long, it is unlikely that they corrected this error for the 2nd edition. Around 7 pitches for these routes. Amazingly beautiful beach. Approach by boat (ferry).

On Presten, Korstoget 6c/+, Reisen, 6c+, Vestpillaren, 6b and Himmelen kan vente 6b+ are worth doing. Vestpillaren is in the new edition of Parois de Légende. All around 10 pitches.

On the north pillar of Vågakallen, Storpillaren 6c+ is good but loooong 16 pitches + a tricky approach and a bit of a nightmare descent. Haul on pitch 3 and 4, and climb the rest with a small rucksack.

When driving from the south, you can stop by the single pitch crag "Stiberg" a bit south of Narvik if the weather is good. The routes Pump-o-rama, 7b+, Flaket, 7b, and La Linja 7a are all three star.

Ah fair I'd heard you need 4 greens so assumed it had a fairly thin section! All sounds ace. Any wisdom on multis more 7b/cish as well? Bit harder to find info in this direction although thecrag has some very tempting looking stuff especially if driving north to Tromso.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#10 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 10:08:36 am
I warned you that my list would be out of date: I've not been to Lofoten in fifteen years or so... At the time there weren't many multipitch routes above 7a. (The gentle inclination of the mountains don't lend themselves much to hard climbing anyways).

On Kvaløya in Tromsø there are no long routes above 7a except on Blåmannen, afaik. On Blåmannen there many hard classics, but finding them dry might be the crux of the itinerary. My friends tell me that Atlantis is very good and that everything except the crux pitch is sandbagged. On Baugen the harder classics Thanatos, Gemini and Rena Ragnarök are all 7a. Thanatos might well be the finest handcrack in Scandinavia.

There is no way 4 greens are necessary on Minnesrisset? I certainly don't own that many. Lots of the cracks in northern norway are flared, and you can place smaller cams further in, and bigger further out, so there is often many possible placements.

petejh

• forum hero
#11 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 10:14:41 am
(called The next best thing in the unreliable Rockfax guide)

Grammar pedant: the adjective 'unreliable' is superfluous when used in front of 'Rockfax'. Simply 'Rockfax' will do.

Great info, Lofoten and Kvaloya high on my list of places I'd most like to climb.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#12 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 10:22:38 am
(called The next best thing in the unreliable Rockfax guide)

Grammar pedant: the adjective 'unreliable' is superfluous when used in front of 'Rockfax'. Simply 'Rockfax' will do.

In the second edition of the Lofoten guidebook they drew a route on a picture of the wrong mountain 🤣
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:28:18 am by jwi »

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 10:51:43 am
I warned you that my list would be out of date: I've not been to Lofoten in fifteen years or so... At the time there weren't many multipitch routes above 7a. (The gentle inclination of the mountains don't lend themselves much to hard climbing anyways).

On Kvaløya in Tromsø there are no long routes above 7a except on Blåmannen, afaik. On Blåmannen there many hard classics, but finding them dry might be the crux of the itinerary. My friends tell me that Atlantis is very good and that everything except the crux pitch is sandbagged. On Baugen the harder classics Thanatos, Gemini and Rena Ragnarök are all 7a. Thanatos might well be the finest handcrack in Scandinavia.

There is no way 4 greens are necessary on Minnesrisset? I certainly don't own that many. Lots of the cracks in northern norway are flared, and you can place smaller cams further in, and bigger further out, so there is often many possible placements.

Yeah all good, it's still great info. I know people out there anyway so will definitely have some local info to supplement any potential guidebook madness.

Thomnomnom

• regular
#14 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 12:05:18 pm
The bouldering is very quick drying so I'd imagine it's a good plan B even if trad is the main agenda - the roof at Stem Bastensen sector might even stay dry in the rain (but seep after) and it's close to Henningsvaer. Sea Gold is a good 7C there, while Monster (up the road) is the uber-classic Lofoten 8A, very workable and Tare Baby (across the road) is an ace 7C.

Kingfisher is definitely worth it. It's down the same road as Slartibartfast 7B+ which is world class. A sea eagle flew ridiculously low overhead when I was there. Like 20m away.

Old Man and the Sea 7B is a total gem.

Blue Skies 7C+/8A is world class and possibly not as hard as it first appears.

I liked the roadside block at Skagsanden, could be convenient if you're passing as it's pretty roadside and has a few nice problems up to 7B.

The best boulder I didn't do was The Grizzly, a proud 7C arete on Gimsoy, made from the perfect sandstone-esque granite.

That would probably keep you busy but let me know if you want more info on the boulders!

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 12:17:40 pm
The bouldering is very quick drying so I'd imagine it's a good plan B even if trad is the main agenda - the roof at Stem Bastensen sector might even stay dry in the rain (but seep after) and it's close to Henningsvaer. Sea Gold is a good 7C there, while Monster (up the road) is the uber-classic Lofoten 8A, very workable and Tare Baby (across the road) is an ace 7C.

Kingfisher is definitely worth it. It's down the same road as Slartibartfast 7B+ which is world class. A sea eagle flew ridiculously low overhead when I was there. Like 20m away.

Old Man and the Sea 7B is a total gem.

Blue Skies 7C+/8A is world class and possibly not as hard as it first appears.

I liked the roadside block at Skagsanden, could be convenient if you're passing as it's pretty roadside and has a few nice problems up to 7B.

The best boulder I didn't do was The Grizzly, a proud 7C arete on Gimsoy, made from the perfect sandstone-esque granite.

That would probably keep you busy but let me know if you want more info on the boulders!

I'd love more info actually, sounds brilliant so far! 7A-8Aish for preference esp. crimpy body tension things with more moves. I'm a bit late to buy the guide here now as it's only available online - but I suppose I can pick it up in the area.

Thomnomnom

• regular
#16 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 12:54:02 pm
Sounds like you'd get on well with Monster and everything at Stem Bastensen, like Knight Rider 7C+ and Sunshine (8A+ but not). The bottom half of Blue Skies climbs a bit board-style too.

The hillside opposite Blue Skies has a huge boulder jumble called Storura. Good Morning Shit (7C+) was a cool crimpy one and Unnütze Raute 7B is worth doing there. Loads of potential for more too! Also on Flakstadoya is a sector called Flakstadpollen, Moon Arete 8A might suit you there (I felt the holds, seemed hard!)

I think 27crags is mostly good for info without the guidebook (the pin is wrong for Good Morning Shit - there are accurate coordinates on UKC). But drop me a DM if you want anything more specific!

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Lofoten
June 07, 2023, 01:20:20 pm
Sounds like you'd get on well with Monster and everything at Stem Bastensen, like Knight Rider 7C+ and Sunshine (8A+ but not). The bottom half of Blue Skies climbs a bit board-style too.

The hillside opposite Blue Skies has a huge boulder jumble called Storura. Good Morning Shit (7C+) was a cool crimpy one and Unnütze Raute 7B is worth doing there. Loads of potential for more too! Also on Flakstadoya is a sector called Flakstadpollen, Moon Arete 8A might suit you there (I felt the holds, seemed hard!)

I think 27crags is mostly good for info without the guidebook (the pin is wrong for Good Morning Shit - there are accurate coordinates on UKC). But drop me a DM if you want anything more specific!

Mega! I'll check out the links and maybe hit you up when I'm out there and have more specific ideas  ;D

thunderbeest

• regular
#18 Re: Lofoten
June 08, 2023, 06:58:51 pm
Lofoten isn't too known for its hard climbing. The contrary is true, people go there for the low grades easily accessible.

I'm not sure if everything will dry out in time. We plan to take the vacation down south, to Lofoten, with the family, but last week it snowed and the snow stayed over night + it's been raining every day the last month. On the other hand, it's always windy...

thunderbeest

• regular
#19 Re: Lofoten
June 08, 2023, 07:11:55 pm
Freya on Storpillaren has gotten some repeats in the last years. Goes free at 7b+. There's some in situ beaks if I remember correctly which are worth checking out.

For all you Tromsø needs there's https://klatreforer.tromsoklatring.no/. Gemini is only 6c, and I found Thanatos to be quite flared. Didn't get any good hands in there.

I definitely don't think Blåmann will dry out this year. Since Jonas has been here there's been a bunch of development at Storstolpan. I do think the climbing is better in Tromsø, but the climbing is easies and more easily accessible in Lofoten.

Let me know if you're stopping by in Tromsø. I own the boulder gym here and live up the road.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Lofoten
June 09, 2023, 08:06:40 am
Freya on Storpillaren has gotten some repeats in the last years. Goes free at 7b+. There's some in situ beaks if I remember correctly which are worth checking out.

For all you Tromsø needs there's https://klatreforer.tromsoklatring.no/. Gemini is only 6c, and I found Thanatos to be quite flared. Didn't get any good hands in there.

I definitely don't think Blåmann will dry out this year. Since Jonas has been here there's been a bunch of development at Storstolpan. I do think the climbing is better in Tromsø, but the climbing is easies and more easily accessible in Lofoten.

Let me know if you're stopping by in Tromsø. I own the boulder gym here and live up the road.

Yeah I spotted Freya and tucked it away to think about once I'm out there and have tried a few bits. Will be orienting on the conditions really and have pads etc as well so should have options but hoping for lots of long days out if possible! We'll see how it goes. Based on what you've said about the conditions though I'm glad I'm there with the van and also doing some other bits in Bohus and other stuff in Norway to diversify somewhat. I'll hit you up if we end up in Tromsø!

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Lofoten
July 12, 2023, 01:09:10 am
Brief northern Norway trip report so far. Highlights have been Stetind and Vågakallen. Absolutely ridiculous region with amazing climbing and rock quality.

Stetind via Vestveggen/Vesteggen: the obvious king line of the mountain up the big sweeping arete. Pretty hard route finding on the Vestveggen (we needed 9hrs for 8 pitches mainly due to worrying about being on the wrong line). We ran up the Vesteggen in comparison in 3.5hrs for 6 pitches plus scrambling the 300m ridge. Pretty knackered after that so slow descent down the super exposed south ridge and then a few hours down the talus and trail. 22hrs van to van but the last stretch involved some lazy grass snoozing. Alt Ld OS.

Silmarillion on Gandalf: some high quality and mentally demanding pitches and then good well protected thuggery at the top. Really nice line. I onsighted, Elin pulled on some gear in the 7- and 7 pitches but mostly free.

Storpillaren: the longest and most mentally demanding day of my climbing career! 2.5hr approach, 14 hours climbing, 2-3 hours to figure out the grass pitches and abseils due to lack of psyche for the death slab (I ended up having to downclimb the entire thing 2 moves away from the arete, sickening experience), 5hrs for the death scrambling and scramble/trail descent from Vågakallen. We had good beta for most of the descent but were missing some key confidence in one of the particularly exposed scrambling sections and faffed around looking for other ways before having a decent look at the satellite imagery and realising the sketchy route was really the way.
All of the main pitches on Storpillaren are absolutely stunning and include corners, chimneys, roofs and cracks of every size. The last 7- pitch is especially stunning with a super exposed and sustained layback band/sloping corner after a technical chimney.
I lead all the hard pitches and managed to onsight the route which represents a significant personal best in this style/length of route. Super proud and happy about this one especially in terms of the mental aspect. Now to go to bed and sleep off the fatigue!!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#22 Re: Lofoten
July 12, 2023, 10:05:32 am
Nice! I've done Vestveggen/Vesteggen and Storpillaren, but backed off Silmarillion. We were not sure we were on the right route as none of the promised pitons were in place on the 7- pitch. High gravity day maybe?

For the descent from Vågakallen, there are some who claim that it is "easy" to scramble back on to the North East ridge and that this is easy to reverse. We just cut diagonally across the south face using a running belay. Took us 4 hours to get back to Djupfjord where a friend picked us up. Some mates have rapped off straight down the gully, leaving some slings, and scrambled back along the beach to Kalle. That descent has also very little to recommend it.

For Vestveggen, as long as you climb the Devil's dance floor pitch I think you are sufficiently on route :D

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Lofoten
July 12, 2023, 11:46:34 am
Nice! I've done Vestveggen/Vesteggen and Storpillaren, but backed off Silmarillion. We were not sure we were on the right route as none of the promised pitons were in place on the 7- pitch. High gravity day maybe?

For the descent from Vågakallen, there are some who claim that it is "easy" to scramble back on to the North East ridge and that this is easy to reverse. We just cut diagonally across the south face using a running belay. Took us 4 hours to get back to Djupfjord where a friend picked us up. Some mates have rapped off straight down the gully, leaving some slings, and scrambled back along the beach to Kalle. That descent has also very little to recommend it.

For Vestveggen, as long as you climb the Devil's dance floor pitch I think you are sufficiently on route :D

Yep no pitons on Silmarillion. That pitch felt proper E5 and I wobbled perilously over a couple of micro cams. The next bit is also good because you have to shake out and place gear on a wobbly jug which shifts ominously every time you switch hands. The upper 7 felt far easier in comparison!

thunderbeest

• regular
#24 Re: Lofoten
July 12, 2023, 07:00:02 pm
Not unlucky with 30 days without precipitation!  :o

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Lofoten
July 12, 2023, 11:16:31 pm
That's a bonus, friends had 1 day without rain in 14.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: Lofoten
July 13, 2023, 09:04:26 pm
Yeah absolutely unbelievable!

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Lofoten
July 19, 2023, 12:46:55 pm
Managed to finish the trip off nicely with a quick redpoint of 'Butter Arms' at Paradiset. Entertainingly over the course of this trip my trad best effort has gone from 7a to 7c+ but stays at E7. It's nice to be climbing safer routes these days! Actually felt like there was a good amount of margin so hopefully an indication that 8's on trad/cracks are a reasonable prospect now. Back in Germany now and scheming for the return to Bohuslän.

The rain came as we drove away from Henningsvaer  ;D

thunderbeest

• regular
#28 Re: Lofoten
July 19, 2023, 06:21:11 pm
What's the E grade on butter arms?

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Lofoten
July 20, 2023, 10:35:59 am
What's the E grade on butter arms?

I would say E7? Easy bomber gear placement and 7c+ seems about right. The rockfax tables and egrader seem to agree. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal