UKBouldering.com

[Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+] (Read 2036 times)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
[Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 03, 2023, 09:11:33 pm
The cave at the right hand end of trow gill is dry,  I did three things which maybe new,  two were excellent,  one a bit rubbish.   Here are videos of the two good ones in case anyone has done them before,  if anyone wants to do them go for it soon as I would guess it will get wet easily

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 03, 2023, 09:59:49 pm
Nice one, Tim.
Give them names or we'll call them Tim's Trowsers.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 03, 2023, 11:31:49 pm
Is there much bouldering at Trow Gill? Not been up there before.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 04, 2023, 08:53:11 am
I think these are the first described things. I think everyone who's climbed on the south wall has eyed the pods in the roof but I'm not aware of anyone having taken pads in before.

Did you have to do much cleaning, Tim?

jeh

#4 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 04, 2023, 09:36:40 am
They both look great, going to try and get up there one night this week whilst they’re dry.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#5 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 04, 2023, 10:11:52 am
I think these are the first described things. I think everyone who's climbed on the south wall has eyed the pods in the roof but I'm not aware of anyone having taken pads in before.

Did you have to do much cleaning, Tim?
For the harder one a bit, but just that horrible grey dust you get on limestone, I hardly had to clean the easier one. I dont think a single hold broke, the rock is really good quality in that bit of the roof.  The other side of the cave is less steep and a bit higher, there is loads of potential there I think.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#6 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 04, 2023, 10:47:41 am
https://youtube.com/shorts/0SOBfDV6XBY?feature=share

This is barely worth documenting other than for the fact it looked the most obvious way of getting out of the right side of the roof,  there are holds below but just a bit dirtier than the left side,  still decent rock quality.   

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 04, 2023, 06:45:38 pm
Had a touch of some of the easier holds today whilst bolt clipping, but couldn't remember what went where from the video. Looks like fun climbing through the roof on those pods.

jeh

#8 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 08, 2023, 12:23:37 pm
Went up there last night, thought the 7c+ was excellent, didn't have time to try the 7a but it looked good. Did you work out if they had been done before Tim? Worth getting them written up somewhere anyway if you want to name them.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#9 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 08, 2023, 05:21:00 pm
Went up there last night, thought the 7c+ was excellent, didn't have time to try the 7a but it looked good. Did you work out if they had been done before Tim? Worth getting them written up somewhere anyway if you want to name them.

I don't think they have been done before, I was thinking otter's pockets for the harder one (as they are almost always wet, boom-tish) but couldn't think of a good one for the others.

What did you think in terms of grade?  I was at at loss gradewise
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 05:37:23 pm by tim palmer »

jeh

#10 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 16, 2023, 06:09:56 pm
Spoke to Dave Sutcliffe at the crag the other day who reckoned he'd done the Otter Pockets before along with a few other things, although im sure he wouldn't mind them being written up with names. Grade wise i thought perhaps 7c although hard to say, im rubbish at grading.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#11 Re: [Yorkshire][Trow Gill][7A-7C+]
June 16, 2023, 11:39:09 pm
Yeah dunning said he had looked and never bothered.  I would be surprised if they had been done before as I broke off a lot of very fine limestone which I think would have broken had they ever been pulled on but maybe they used some different holds

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal