UKBouldering.com

Flight compensation (Read 1006 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Flight compensation
May 30, 2023, 11:35:34 am
Bit of a niche one but wanted to see if there was any advice out there before diving in.

I went to check-in online for an outbound Ryanair flight and discovered that it had been cancelled, with no notification given by email/phone/text. The flight is <7 days away.

Fortunately I've been able to switch the flights to a different airport and we now leave the UK and arrive at our destination at the same time as planned. However the return flight, which was not cancelled but I had to change while changing the outbound flight (Ryanair's website will only let you change airport if you make the change for both ways - it was either that or depart a day later), now departs just over 3 hours earlier than planned.

If I'm entitled to any compensation from Ryanair then I'd like to claim it. From my reading of the policy I'm not entitled to anything for the outgoing flight since the timings are similar, but I'm not sure about the return flight. An earlier departure of 3 hours would normally allow you to claim, but this flight wasn't actually cancelled.

Does anybody have experience of a similar situation?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1 Re: Flight compensation
May 30, 2023, 12:43:09 pm
Surely it was de facto cancelled if you were unable to make the change for only the outgoing flight? On that basis alone I'd say its worth a claim. Ryanair are cunts though, my parents never got anywhere claiming for a rescheduled flight after a storm on the basis that it was an act of god.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#2 Re: Flight compensation
May 30, 2023, 12:51:07 pm
I do not have any direct experience. I have however some recent experience of having a flight cancelled (about 900 euros for the two of us) and it took about two years, spending hours on the phone with callcenters all over the world, involving French customer protection agencies, etc etc. to get the money back. If your case is standard enough that it can be covered by any of the companies that collect on behalf of passengers, taking a 30% cut or whatever, I would do this.

abarro81

• forum hero
#3 Re: Flight compensation
May 30, 2023, 01:48:42 pm
My experience of claiming compensation is the it's either trivial (i.e. they pay up right away) or it needs to be outsourced to one of the legal companies that do this if you want to get anywhere..

No idea on if you're entitled though I'm afraid

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#4 Re: Flight compensation
May 30, 2023, 05:05:41 pm
I got compensation for a 6hr delayed flight back from Canada with BA. Just went through their customer services. Took a while, and I resorted to emailing BA CEO (a good way to get things moving when logjammed) paid within 2 days after that...

No idea if you're eligable, sorry.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal