UKBouldering.com

Bose Speaker left in the rain (Read 1882 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Bose Speaker left in the rain
May 14, 2023, 07:00:25 pm
We left our Bose Mini II Soundlink speaker out in the rain.

It’s been in Rice for the last week and I’ve just tried it now with mixed results.

There is no response/lights/sounds when charging, pressing the power button etc.

However is it turning on as despite no signs of life, when i press the on button it does connect to my phone automatically. But there’s no sound if I play music etc.

I’m assuming it’s just fucked, but i thought it would be worth asking if anyone has any ideas to get it back working before i order a replacement.

mikenty

#1 Re: Bose Speaker left in the rain
May 14, 2023, 07:26:05 pm
Sorry for your loss!
I did something similar. I sent it away and got it repaired by Bose, telling them it had died. It was an OK cost, certainly cheaper than the replacement and it has been faultless since. Took a few weeks. Maybe worth checking the website for aftercare?

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bose Speaker left in the rain
May 14, 2023, 08:05:16 pm
I remember reading (perhaps on here) that rice doesn't start absorbing moisture until a certain temperature so doesn't work as suggested.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Bose Speaker left in the rain
May 15, 2023, 08:12:12 am

However is it turning on as despite no signs of life, when i press the on button it does connect to my phone automatically. But there’s no sound if I play music etc.

Our Anker one did the same after it was dropped. these sealed rubber units are a pig to get into, but i eventually did, and took it apart and poked around but nothing obvious loose. As Paul says, try it in rice on top of a radiator. Nothing to lose.

A lot of the Ultimate Ears ones are waterproof, worth considering for next purchase!

SamT

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bose Speaker left in the rain
May 15, 2023, 09:57:01 am
Did you not save all the sachets of silca gel from all those covid tests in a huge bag like I did, for just such a situation.
 :-[

James Malloch

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bose Speaker left in the rain
May 17, 2023, 11:01:56 pm
I’ve tried a warmer place with rice again, and opened it up to see if there’s any obviously moisture but i think its just broken.

The Bose website doesn't seem to offer the repair service now. Perhaps it’s changed since they removed all of their UK shops?

Maybe its time to change to the Minirig I’ve been wanting for years… thanks for the tips though.

Jono.r23

#6 Re: Bose Speaker left in the rain
May 18, 2023, 07:21:47 am
Good choice on the minirig. Still rockin my indestructible pre/bluetooth v1. The people who started it used to do a big soundsystem in bristol back in the day..Dissident. Played on their rig a bit. Good times

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7 Re: Bose Speaker left in the rain
June 12, 2023, 12:05:11 pm
Good choice on the minirig. Still rockin my indestructible pre/bluetooth v1. The people who started it used to do a big soundsystem in bristol back in the day..Dissident. Played on their rig a bit. Good times

New Minirig arrived today. They’re cracking pieces of kit!  :2thumbsup:

Jono.r23

#8 Re: Bose Speaker left in the rain
June 12, 2023, 09:28:44 pm
Good choice  :punk: solid bit of engineering

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal