UKBouldering.com

Skye bouldering (Read 1239 times)

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Skye bouldering
May 11, 2023, 10:38:17 pm
I'm off to Skye for the first time at the end of May with extended family, and hoping to take a pad and get out for a bouldering session or two. We have a 2 and 4 year old, so easy walk in and safe would be ideal, though we might also get a chance to ditch the kids and escape on our own for a bit.

Would love to hear any recommendations of crags / boulders to visit, up to about 7B and ideally with some stuff in the 5-6 range.

Thanks in anticipation 👍

andy moles

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Skye bouldering
May 12, 2023, 07:28:43 am
Not many options with short walk-ins unfortunately!

I've searched for years and not found any good convenient bouldering on Skye. There are odds and ends, but nothing worth travelling for.

It's hard to look beyond Coire Lagan for quality and breadth (and an incredible setting). You're looking at up to an hour walk, but despite the mountain setting a lot of the landing areas are actually pretty good. Take some skin, the rock is rough AF. There are some boulders much further down near the campsite (Culnamean) which are OK but not amazing.

The other extensive area is Carn Liath, but it's a similar walk and my impression from my only visit was that although it's a very impressive boulder field, the things you can do with just a pad are scattered and limited.

There are other boulders elsewhere in the Cuillin (Bonjoy's thing under Bla Bheinn looks great) but they tend to be pretty isolated.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

haydn jones

• forum hero
#3 Re: Skye bouldering
May 12, 2023, 08:38:56 am
I'm off to Skye for the first time at the end of May with extended family, and hoping to take a pad and get out for a bouldering session or two. We have a 2 and 4 year old, so easy walk in and safe would be ideal, though we might also get a chance to ditch the kids and escape on our own for a bit.

Would love to hear any recommendations of crags / boulders to visit, up to about 7B and ideally with some stuff in the 5-6 range.

Thanks in anticipation 👍

I'm on Skye for the last week of may so would be keen to do a bit of bouldering too. I'll probably only have one pad on me though so if you fancy some extra foam send me a message. I'll mostly be concentrating on getting the cullin done though!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Skye bouldering
May 12, 2023, 09:20:47 am
Calling of the Cuillin?? I'm with shark having doubts about the lime-caller's moral fibre at this point.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Skye bouldering
May 12, 2023, 09:38:20 am

Thanks in anticipation 👍

I'm on Skye for the last week of may so would be keen to do a bit of bouldering too. I'll probably only have one pad on me though so if you fancy some extra foam send me a message. I'll mostly be concentrating on getting the cullin done though!

Thanks Haydn, will do. Also hoping to have a bash at the Cuillin so perhaps see you there!

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Skye bouldering
May 12, 2023, 09:40:48 am
Not many options with short walk-ins unfortunately!

I've searched for years and not found any good convenient bouldering on Skye. There are odds and ends, but nothing worth travelling for.

It's hard to look beyond Coire Lagan for quality and breadth (and an incredible setting). You're looking at up to an hour walk, but despite the mountain setting a lot of the landing areas are actually pretty good. Take some skin, the rock is rough AF. There are some boulders much further down near the campsite (Culnamean) which are OK but not amazing.

The other extensive area is Carn Liath, but it's a similar walk and my impression from my only visit was that although it's a very impressive boulder field, the things you can do with just a pad are scattered and limited.

There are other boulders elsewhere in the Cuillin (Bonjoy's thing under Bla Bheinn looks great) but they tend to be pretty isolated.

Cheers for the info. Good to know, in that case I think it's not too likely we'll do any bouldering so may leave the pad at home. Had looked on some of the older threads but info looked patchy thought it would be worth asking in case there's been more details or development since.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Skye bouldering
May 28, 2023, 04:41:25 pm

Thanks in anticipation 👍

Hi Haydn, thought I'd mention on the off chance - we're going to have a go at the Cuillin Ridge tomorrow, possibly see you there! Hope you've had a good trip so far.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#8 Re: Skye bouldering
May 28, 2023, 08:30:33 pm
Ahh we already had an attempt but got rained off. Went and did some other smaller ridge lines with the rest of our holiday. Very hard navigation in 25meter visibility!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal