UKBouldering.com

knowledge of door dipping (Read 1531 times)

matt463

• regular
knowledge of door dipping
April 15, 2023, 10:10:45 am
Boring question, but has anyone used any door dipping service in and around Sheffield? Got some original doors and want to tidy them up a bit.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: knowledge of door dipping
April 15, 2023, 04:27:17 pm
Unless you want them as bare wood - our builder / joiner said it was better to just strip the paint off with a heat gun and elbow grease. Less to fill afterwards. On our present house he had the doors off and on trestles and just happily worked away on them for a few days. N=1 etc..

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#2 Re: knowledge of door dipping
April 15, 2023, 08:28:00 pm
I've had a few pieces of antique pine dipped, not sheff but preston. Very good results from it. Probably only worth it on antique wood, as mentioned if you want bare wood look. Fairly pricy, £60 for bedding chest.

kelvin

• forum hero
#3 Re: knowledge of door dipping
April 16, 2023, 10:58:57 am
Boring question, but has anyone used any door dipping service in and around Sheffield? Got some original doors and want to tidy them up a bit.

Decorator here -

If you're going to paint them, either use a heat gun or blowtorch to remove the paint. Dipping them means drying them out properly to avoid distortion, the inset panels possibly splitting being the main worry. Or if you have access to a rotex sander, possibly use that.
If you're after the washed out, stripped pine look, then that's a different matter altogether.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: knowledge of door dipping
April 16, 2023, 11:08:39 am
I had some painted pine doors dipped at a workshop on Sharrow Vale Road, somewhere opposite the Lescar.  I was pleased with the results, but I'm afraid it was about 35 years ago, and I've no idea if the business still exists...

Neil

SamT

• forum hero
#5 Re: knowledge of door dipping
April 17, 2023, 08:46:36 am
Pretty sure gilberts on Sharrow Vale don't dip anymore, but might be wrong.

TH Goode on Chippinghouse/abbeydale did do, but thing they might have gone now too.

We used a guy on Pearl Street, opposite where the old Vine Pub was.  No idea if he still operates.

Our doors did warp a bit, split a bit etc, They still need a lot of sanding and filling too, so its not the time saver you think it might be.

matt463

• regular
#6 Re: knowledge of door dipping
April 17, 2023, 11:56:54 am
Cheers, thanks for the info!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#7 Re: knowledge of door dipping
April 17, 2023, 05:31:40 pm

TH Goode on Chippinghouse/abbeydale did do, but thing they might have gone now too.

Long since gone - its now a kebab shop I think.

SamT

• forum hero
#8 Re: knowledge of door dipping
April 17, 2023, 11:06:32 pm
Ah, google suggests not gone, just moved...

http://www.thgoode.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal