UKBouldering.com

Peak Area BMC meeting Friday 21st April (Read 4376 times)

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Did Om on Sunday and didn’t think much of the ash belay.  I then climbed the ash to escape the finishing ledge, so that probably contributed to my feeling of unease…   ::)

It’s hard to know what you can trust with ash at the moment.

Neil

kc

• obsessive maniac
The point of these bolt belays is not for trad climbers, it's to make it simpler to set top ropes up above Wee Doris and Cabbage.

Any trad climber would sort a belay and you can walk off anyway.

I wasn't approaching it from that angle but I know what you mean.
Without the routes being more popular or the introduction of wild goats someone will need to keep on top of the annual growth of rose and bramble so the leader can get back far enough to a living tree or somewhere to dig their heels in and also keep the descents clear.

Hydraulic Man

• player
Totally agree with you Kristian.

It would be nice to see a few more climbers toshing in at Stoney and other crags keeping the veg down. The thorns at the top of Stoney are bad nowadays.

Plenty of retirees at Stoney nowadays who should be lending a hand.....

reeve

• obsessive maniac
Andy could you amend this to just having a general discussion by the Area on what, if anything, should be done about routes at Stoney for which now dead ash trees provide the belay (and potentially abseil retreat) where no other suitable natural anchors exist. If the Area would like bolted belay / ab stations (not lower offs) to replace the trees then PBF are willing to do the work.

Sorry I'm a bit late replying to this - I've been away.

I'm going to add it to the agenda as a discussion about these specific examples - suggested by Kristian as an individual (who happens to have access to kit from the bolt fund) but not a proposal by the bolt fund per se.

Thinking ahead, this is clearly going to be a recurring issue in the White Peak and so I'm going to guage the general opinion and for a future meeting I would like to draw up a suggested criteria or decision tree for how activists could go about deciding what type of fixed gear (if any) would make a suitable replacement on a case-by-case basis. Obviously I'd like broader input in to this, and for it to be open for discussion before being ratified by consensus, but I'll leave that musing for after the meeting.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Cool - as long as Kristian is ok with that

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Had an hour on the mini-traxion here on Tuesday. I agree with Hydraulic man's assessment; these are not trad belays they are top rope anchors.

The trees seem ok for now and I don't think anything needs doing urgently. There aren't loads of obvious gear placements is a crack for small wires by the right hand tree (climber's right).

I won't make the meeting due to friends 50th, but my thoughts are:

It does need discussing, but I think any action should wait until there is a problem, i.e the belay becomes unsafe. The current belay has a load of in-situ rope linking trees. Some of the trees are quite a way back so given we don't know how the individual trees will survive I don't think we need proactive action which assumes they will all die, rot and disappear.

Ideally folk might not leave so much tat in-situ but for me a load of tat is preferable to bolts. Given only climbers will visit the belay ledge, and nothing is visible from the ground, for me the ethics trump the aesthetics here. Anyone claiming aesthetic considerations should be primary here should turn around and look at the substation for a bit. But the same is true of the Scoop Wall belay; there are no issues with topping out or visibility of tat so ethical considerations should prevail.

If ALL the trees do disappear, I think placing a few new pegs should be considered before bolting. As I said above, the dieback is unlikely to be permanent on the timescale that bolts are permanent. Many of the routes already have legacy pegs; generally none have bolts. Bolting blank rock on trad crags should be an absolute last resort.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

If ALL the trees do disappear, I think placing a few new pegs should be considered before bolting. As I said above, the dieback is unlikely to be permanent on the timescale that bolts are permanent. Many of the routes already have legacy pegs; generally none have bolts. Bolting blank rock on trad crags should be an absolute last resort.

I think placing new pegs of any kind, but especially where there were none previously, is far more retrograde than a bolted belay/ab station. I've got no problem with tat but I find the idea that we should just wait and see if the trees die, when we know that dieback means they can fail very suddenly and without any warning, a bit odd. Its not Glen Nevis after all, its a bit of Stoney Middleton above a substation.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
especially where there were none previously

There are lots of pegs in Electric Quarry. I haven't spotted any bolts.

they can fail very suddenly and without any warning

You have to visit the trees to rig the belay, you can give them a good tug and make an assessment. You make it sound like they could spontaneously explode at any moment. Assessing the gear is a key part of trad climbing. Clipping a bolt belay isn't.

far more retrograde than a bolted belay/

Interesting idea, how so? I can only imagine you think this because we've become far more used to placing new bolts willy nilly? Or perhaps because sea-cliff corrosion issues have contributed to a general idea that pegs are bad, or the general conflation of all fixed gear as the same ethically dubious compromise? I don't agree. Pegs require a natural placement, and the climber to make their own assessment of safety.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I mean pegs should only go in, if at all, on a like for like basis.

I get what you're saying about trad climbing and gear assessment but it just feels a bit forced to me. I know they're not going to spontaneously combust but trad climbing is not richer for worrying all the time about whether the ash you've belayed to is rotten inside. I have used the ab station above bitterfingers and thought it was a good idea. I think these suggested are a good idea too. I get where you're coming from but can't see an issue here. Obviously that's the point of debating it!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 02:31:40 pm by spidermonkey09 »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I've been looking into the ash dieback question a bit and I don't think it's very likely that okay looking trees might actually be seriously weak and prone to failure.
Authorities like NT don't clear fell all ash trees even in areas of very high public use. The threshold they use for mature trees is over 50% loss of crown (only evident when leaves are out) or the presence of severe basal lesions. Basal lesions are disease infection from the base up. The disease itself affects the bark and leaves. The problem with these lesions is that they allow secondary infection with honey fungus, which eats into the main wood itself and it's this secondary infection which will cause the tree to fall over in time. So based on this, if there is less than 50% crown loss and no significant basal lesions it seems premature to treat a tree as inherently unsafe. Obviously caveats and other considerations apply.

kc

• obsessive maniac
This morning I had a good look around the some of the belay trees above the following areas: Electric Quarry, Carl's Wark, Minus Ten, Wee Doris, Windy & Garage Buttresses. Just to be brief because I have taken a fare number of photos and notes. The only area that concerns me immediately is the Ash above Boat Pushers wall in the Wee Doris bay. There is a dead looking one on the lip and a very unhealthy one further back and a few more above Medusa in better condition. All of these have fixed rope around them. There are also several small Hawthorn saplings. Luckily there is ample natural protection available (hidden behind moss and ivy) in the step behind the trees so bolts or pegs would not be necessary at all in this area. I do think an effort should be made at least to remove the dead tree on the lip and the tat on all the Ash and dig out some gear placements and then monitor the demise of the remaining trees. By removing the tat people will more likely make a fresh assessment of the trees health.
Carls Wark is 50/50 Ash and Hawthorn so there is no issue there.
Windy and Garage do have some Ash belays but there is a wider range of species than in the other areas and a good selection of multi stemmed hazel clusters. Scoop Wall tree is not an Ash. The only thing that needs doing in this area is to move the fixed belay ropes from the Ash to the other species.
Electric quarry left side has a rats nest of ropes tied back to 7 Ash and 1 other. There is no immediate fear here just because of the numbers but this will change. There are a few gear placements but the angles are not great. I think possibly just a minimum number of bolts up here if placed far enough back in the optimum place could serve multiple routes.
On the right hand side of the quarry Damocles has a steep bramble infested grass slope leading to a lone Ash. Maybe a stake is the only option here. The tree at the top of John Peel is definitely on the way out and the little layered rock ledges above don't offer any reliable protection bolted or otherwise. There is a hawthorn someway back that could offer a hand line to assist the leader to push up through the thorns to find a fixing or and a stake.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Ash dieback is a real bugger. I’ve spent the vast majority of my time since I set my little forestry business up dealing with it. There are very obvious signs that a tree is suffering from it, as has been mentioned. However, we have felled trees that appeared fine, but we’re far from it. I would strongly advise everyone treats it seriously (which it looks like it is!) and is very wary of it. The structural integrity of the trees becomes highly compromised. Things to look for are loss of leaf cover, the trees holding onto their keys, brittle branches, lots of reactionary growth on the trees, by this I mean lots of small branches all over the trees, and we’ve noticed an orange staining on the trees up here too. It’s is literally in every part of the country, and the landscape will be very different in the next decade, a lot like what Dutch elm disease did way back when.

I was recently reliably informed that the forestry commission and the MOD have pretty much outlawed climbing any ash on any of their sites (I mean climbing to remove the tree) as the liability is too great. You’ll notice the National Trust, Woodland Trust and many other larger organisations/charities as well as local authorities, highways agency etc all simply do not have the resources or budget to remove all the infected ash. They will remove the ones highest risk i.e close to footpaths etc, but even that is taking an extremely long time to implement. Ash dieback works fast, so a tree can go from passable to dangerous in not much time at all. I’ll link below a BBC news article that is pretty good at summarising the problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60929266

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Anyone interested in a deeper dive into the subject I'd recomend this Forestry Commision webinar, especially the first speaker.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXA8SFuhSTs&t=54s&pp=ygUUYXNoIGRpZWJhY2sgZm9yZXN0cnk%3D

reeve

• obsessive maniac
Just a reminder that the meeting in Bamford is tonight. Gathering in the Anglers Rest from 6.30pm, moving over to the village institute (just over the road) for chips at 7.15pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal