technical > photography

Storage, workflow, etc

(1/2) > >>

Yossarian:
I think this stuff has been touched on in various threads, but things seem to have moved on a bit...

I've not used a proper camera very much for the past few years, and since getting a new one I have very quickly found myself with masses of images / data to deal with. In the old days when I was doing a mixture of work and personal stuff (when I could charge it all to the company) I think I did it all on Phase One with a load of hard drives.

Anyway. I've been going round in circles slightly trying to work out a plan for how to deal with it all now. I filled up the 100gb included with my CC subscription within a couple of days of arriving in Font, and would prefer to find an alternative to having to upgrade that.

One option seems to be to do a fairly rigorous cull of images initially, and upload the remaining ones to Lightroom.

I used a Dropbox system for all my illustration / work related stuff and don't mind upgrading that to unlimited storage (if necessary), so I was thinking of doing a two level cull, with the best stuff going into Lightroom, and then the other images that I might end up wanting to look back at could go into dated folders in Dropbox (so I can always dig them out again someday), and then erase the rest.

Does anyone here do anything similar? Or are you all using a mixture of physical drives with cloud backups?

Fultonius:
I do my initially culling with FastRawViewer as DXO (LR alternative) is just too slow to scroll through quickly. I've been trying to get more brutal with the initial culls...

User deactivated.:
How about a hardware solution? You can pick up a 2Tb SSD for a good price now. If you're on PC then pcpartpicker is a good website for finding the best price / performance.

SA Chris:
I normally shoot "RAW + JPEG" as a default, which slows buffering and eats storage, then I'll normally do an initial daily in camera cull, either binning both, or just keeping the JPEG if it's a shot i want to keep, but don't intend doing much editing on.

Reluctant to commit to a cloud as a long term storage solution, so store to a large hard drive, and back it up to a spare one every few months.

Got a "lite" dropbox for sharing large files with others, but it synchs very slowly with our low speed broadband.

Fultonius:
Should have added, I use onedrive to back all my stuff up as I have 1TB included after buying office etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version