UKBouldering.com

Recommend me a sport rope? (Read 1500 times)

Smith42

• regular
Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 12:12:02 pm
Looking forward to BST and start of sport climbing season in Yorkshire and need to replace my rope. 
Anyone recommend me a good lightweight rope that will last two seasons?

I will probably use another rope for working routes or going to wall and the new rope for red pointing and on-sighting.
Over the past five years my partner and i have been using Stirling, Mammut and Black Diamond sport ropes (8.9mm? 9.2mm, and 9.8mm) depending on what we are trying.  Not really had any issues, they have all seen a season or two and some seem to handle better than other but that could just be a function of how they were used.

Last year i climbed with Petzl Volta (9.2mm) and was very impressed, but it was brand new and not sure how it would last.   

The articles reviewing and comparing ropes on line are from years ago and as such do not include latest ropes.

Any rope recommendations or what to not buy?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 01:34:11 pm
Decathlon 9 mm.

csl

• junky
#2 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 02:24:41 pm
Decathlon 9 mm.

Went for a look, this marketing image is quite something - I'm not sure how they plan on lowering off?  :lol:

Duncan campbell

• junky
#3 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 03:00:45 pm
Do decathlon still do the pink 9mm in 100m does anyone know? A friend of mine said they didn’t anymore…  :jaw:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

Helge

#5 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 05:09:24 pm
Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I'm impressed with the Edelrid Boa. It's a bit thicker (9.8mm) and has been extremely durable. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I haven't cut it more than three or four times in the two years I've had it, and I go climbing outside twice a week most of the year. The Mammut rope I had before I had to chop almost every other time climbing. Friends have also recommended Edelrid's 9.5mm rope (Eagle Lite).

Duma

• forum hero
#6 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 07:36:56 pm
Sterling are great handling and last but expensive and tricky to get hold of in the UK. Mammut are horrible, worst handling rope I've ever had, wouldn't get another one. My beal (sorry can't remember model) handles well and was cheap but is def wearing quicker than the sterlings. I've not had a decathlon but have used others and they seem good, handle nicely, and at the price any longevity concerns are probably moot anyway. I believe they're made by Cousin who make a few other firms ropes too? Tbh I'll probably go down the decathlon route next time.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 07:46:36 pm
Consult the strings thread. I'd imagine Decathlon's Simmond will come out on top.

remus

• forum hero
#8 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 07:53:35 pm
Consult the strings thread. I'd imagine Decathlon's Simmond will come out on top.

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=17683.0

Another vote for the pink simond ropes, I usually get a year of heavy use before I have to start chopping, then another couple of years of gradually decreasing length. Well impressed with the longevity given it's a pretty skinny rope that handles pretty nicely.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 08:25:48 pm
Another vote for the pink Decathlon 8.9. To my surprise, considering it was my first modern properly skinny single rope, it's been not only one of the best handling but also one of the most durable ropes I've ever had.

Significantly less impressed with their green 9.5

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 26, 2023, 09:58:03 pm
Do decathlon still do the pink 9mm in 100m does anyone know? A friend of mine said they didn’t anymore…  :jaw:

It's still available on their website.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#11 Re: Recommend me a sport rope?
March 27, 2023, 07:00:21 am
Another supporter of the 8.9mm pink Simond. I got a 80m & 50m. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal