UKBouldering.com

Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube (Read 6700 times)

Dingdong

• forum abuser
Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 07:01:16 am
Thought I’d make a thread in case people missed it in the quality bouldering thread but I managed to get a copy of Winter Sessions and ripped it and uploaded it to YouTube for everyone to enjoy! I’ll get the extras up later today as well :beer2:

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 08:09:49 am
Nice! Good to see some other good vids up on the channel too  :weakbench:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 08:53:17 am
Have you been in touch with the owners of these films Dingdong?

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 09:07:13 am
Have you been in touch with the owners of these films Dingdong?

I have not but it’s nigh impossible to find said films for sale anywhere online so I can’t see Rhys or Dawes being that bothered about his film being watched by people again? The whole point of the channel is to upload stuff so it doesn’t get lost to obscurity

Jono.r23

#4 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 09:14:32 am
Nice. Appreciated. Would also love to see Stick It again if u happen to find that one floating about

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 09:20:25 am
You need to ask them though. You’re probably right (they might just have lost the masters) but they’re their films and if they want them to be lost to obscurity that’s their choice.

The Island is already on Bearcam’s YouTube channel.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 09:38:11 am
You need to ask them though. You’re probably right (they might just have lost the masters) but they’re their films and if they want them to be lost to obscurity that’s their choice.

The Island is already on Bearcam’s YouTube channel.
Ive shot then messages. Chances are they’ll probably ignore/not see them though but we shall see. In the meantime you can enjoy the films on there until I inevitably take them down.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 02:29:44 pm
Nice. Appreciated. Would also love to see Stick It again if u happen to find that one floating about

Stick It is now up as well.

Jono.r23

#8 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 03:05:42 pm
Wicked! Thanks  :popcorn:  :strongbench:

SamT

• forum hero
#9 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 03:29:20 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if Slackjaw have Stick it taken down.

I uploaded a really old obscure Ron Fawcett vid (body machine) up to youtube, then a few weeks later got some pissy email from the maker (not ron) and youtube took it down.

You should really get permission from them.  (no harm it trying, but don't be surprised it if it gets taken down).

(note to self.. get Wintersessions watched tonight  :lol: ).

Jono.r23

#10 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 03:32:32 pm
I dunno.. Stone Love seems to have survived on yt for a while. If only they would make them available again i’d gladly pay!

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#11 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 03:35:46 pm
Personally I wouldn't say anything. No ones buying it. Just keep it up until it gets taken down.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#12 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 04:03:09 pm
When benpritch on here put Stone Love on youtube I messaged him to ask if he was planning on putting Stick It up too. He said he was but never got round to it. Imagine he would reply to a PM fairly quickly.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 04:22:02 pm
If these get taken down it’s no sweat, before YouTube I was sharing around a google drive folder full of films, including some very old and obscure ones. I’ll just return to sharing that drive folder around  :beer2:

Teaboy

• forum hero
#14 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 08:28:31 pm
It’s quite likely these film makers will be ok with these films being posted up online but am I the only one feeling a bit uneasy about the “I’ll stick it up and see if it pisses someone off rather than ask” attitude seen here? Seems unnecessarily impolite.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:41:51 pm by Teaboy »

Nick B

• addict
#15 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 08:49:11 pm
You shouldn’t really be uploading any of these without permission from the film makers. In most cases the films aren’t on the shelves any more but you’re actively taking away their options for uploading to their own YouTube channels. These are small independent filmmakers, not massive studios. Enough of the upload first, ask questions later.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#16 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 09:09:01 pm
It’s quite likely these film makers will be ok with these films being posted up online but am I the only one feeling a bit uneasy about the “I’ll stick it up and see if it pisses someone off rather than ask” attitude seen here? Seems unnecessarily impolite.

:agree: It’s a depressing thread to read as a filmmaker.

I uploaded a really old obscure Ron Fawcett vid (body machine) up to youtube, then a few weeks later got some pissy email from the maker (not ron) and youtube took it down.

To be fair to the bloke he then posted it himself

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 09:23:38 pm

To be fair to the bloke he then posted it himself

This is assuming that I’ve uploaded this in some attempt to profit off it or with some sort of bad intentions when in reality I just want to make these widely available for people to watch and enjoy - seeing how some of these films are decades old it’s easy to assume that if the filmmaker hasn’t uploaded it and is impossible to find it elsewhere that they probably wouldn’t bother or care. I could have very easily just not posted this thread or said anything and kept the films in my private drive whereas all I wanted to do was share it with you all.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#18 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 09:40:23 pm
Yeah I think its reasonable. You're not profiting and they aren't otherwise available, and if they ask you to take it down you've said you will. Seems fair to me.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 10:00:50 pm
I’ve decided to remove all the videos from the channel due to too much backlash. If anyone wants a link to my private drive drop me a DM and I’ll gladly share it with you.

seankenny

• forum hero
#20 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 10:17:28 pm
What would Max Brod do?  :worms:

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 10:32:48 pm
I could have very easily just not posted this thread or said anything and kept the films in my private drive whereas all I wanted to do was share it with you all.

Obviously I'm a bit late saying this now you've taken them all down, but I don't think anyone was doubting the bit I've quoted above - you were obviously trying to do something which people would appreciate. But that said, if I had spent money and lots of time producing a film (even an old one) I would expect the courtesy of my permission being sought rather than assumed.

To me it's a shame you've taken them all down seemingly permanently rather than, say, emailed the filmmakers with a view to putting them back up with their approval.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#22 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 10:46:38 pm

Interesting take. As a music producer, it would be a great compliment if someone uploaded my music. In fact, in the music sphere, artists who block their music from being uploaded on youtube are looked down upon. I'm no film maker by any stretch of the imagination but the little climbing video I recently made used 4 songs from different artists, all of which are copyrighted, but the artists allow free use on youtube.

I see this situation a bit like visiting a crag with sketchy access. If you ask the landowner, you risk a no and putting a spotlight on what you and other climbers are doing. Keep a low profile and no one gets hurt and a few people get some enjoyment out of it.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#23 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 11:02:38 pm
jeez, i'm still halfway through the film. throw me a bone. what happens in the end? do they get caught?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#24 Re: Winter Sessions Now Up On YouTube
March 21, 2023, 11:45:07 pm
Interesting take. As a music producer, it would be a great compliment if someone uploaded my music. In fact, in the music sphere, artists who block their music from being uploaded on youtube are looked down upon. I'm no film maker by any stretch of the imagination but the little climbing video I recently made used 4 songs from different artists, all of which are copyrighted, but the artists allow free use on youtube.

Look at it like this, someone takes the master files of your film and your music from you and says “this is shite, no-one should be able to watch or listen to it and I’m the one who gets to decide that, not you”. Then other people’s response was “seems fair, it’s not like he was making any money from it, if he moans enough and does the legwork himself then just let him have the files back”.

It’s not right is it? The creator of anything should be the one who decides how it’s distributed. That’s why (and I’m always amazed when I have to explain this) the whole concept of copyright exists.

There are loads of reasons why musicians are more likely to be more relaxed with how people use or distribute their work (and the point is that they’re choosing to do that) than filmmakers but I didn’t mean it was depressing due to the medium being discussed, just the general attitude that you can do what you like with other people’s work and that the subject is somehow up for debate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal