UKBouldering.com

Bouldering specific training (Read 1745 times)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
Bouldering specific training
December 09, 2004, 04:29:49 pm
Ok I have Greshams masterclasses- and vary my training accordingly. But nothing really prepares me for being out there. The problem is that I don`t want to injur myself during training and therefore don`t spend a two hour session repeatedly trying the same problem at max dificulty.

For me that is what bouldering comes down to. If I wanted to onsight/flash then I would get on a route. Its doing problems that take some serious thought, focus and teeth grinding that keeps me interested.    

The problem is that the next few day after a short brutal boulder I am often propper tight.  This often means having 2/3 days rest.

I may try one midweek session of high intensity training with 15 minutes rest between attempts- boring, but more like the real thing.

Anyone tried this approach?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#1 Bouldering specific training
December 10, 2004, 11:54:33 am
boring, but more like the real thing

If it's boring, it's probably not going to work. You need to be motivated and keen to climb well, whether it's training or climbing outdoors. All this stuff about varying intensity is all very well, but if you don't push yourself you aren't going to get any stronger. And if you don't enjoy yourself you aren't really going to push yourself.

I can only speak from my own experience - and I'm sure others will know more than me - but when I climb inside I set myself problems that I really want to climb. Usually they start off being too hard for me. So I find other problems with easier moves, but keep coming back to my projects. After about 3 or four weeks weeks I can usually climb whatever it was that when I first set it I found impossible. That tells me I've got stronger.

Having said all that, I did develop a tendon injury which I'm suffering from right now. All that time indoors and now that I finally move somwhere with real rock I can't climb. Ah well. But I think if you make sure you warm down and stretch sensibly after every session, pushing yourself indoors shouldn't lead to injuries or being tight. I found it really made a difference if I spent 20min. at the end of a session doing easy problems and traverses - loosened me up loads.

So there's my tuppence worth.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#2 Bouldering specific training
December 10, 2004, 01:10:57 pm
Thats something I rarely do after a session outside- warm down and stretch- probably explains most of my problems.

Good advice- cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal