places to visit > indoor walls

Standard of indoor bouldering in Japan, according to Mickaël Mawem

<< < (2/3) > >>

jwi:

--- Quote from: mrjonathanr on February 10, 2023, 11:04:33 pm ---Is there a cultural tendency to focus on excellence in one area from a young age, rather than do lots of ‘sport’ and eventually settle into a particular preference?

--- End quote ---

I'm not a great expert, but in my opinion, they do on average value a dedication to perfectionism as a general concept higher than other cultures I know.

This does mostly apply to adult life as far as I understand. But I know little.

Tom de Gay:
I guess stuff like kaizen is well known, the trains are punctual, etc, etc. If so, you’d expect to see an unusually high general level in comparable sports such as gymnastics. Is that the case?

The counter view might be that it’s mostly demographics. Indoor bouldering has become a mainstream activity in one of the world’s most populous areas. The population is affluent with low levels of obesity. There aren’t that many climbing walls (per capita), but they’re all easily accessible by train. There are plenty of other ways to spend your time, so if you’re not syked you drop out, leaving a self-selecting group of high performers. The group is large because the input was large.

duncan:

--- Quote from: Tom de Gay on February 11, 2023, 01:11:07 pm ---I guess stuff like kaizen is well known, the trains are punctual, etc, etc. If so, you’d expect to see an unusually high general level in comparable sports such as gymnastics. Is that the case?

--- End quote ---

Japan are a powerhouse in men's gymnastics. The all round gymnastics gold medalists in 2012, 2016 and 2021 were all Japanese. Since WW2, the Japanese and USSR/Russian all-round men's individual and men's teams tie for most gold medals. The women are not as successful historically but are catching up.

The country is also very strong in figure skating. In the last twenty years, Japanese men have won the most individual Olympic medals and the women are second to Russia.

You could tell a similar story in activities like classical music and ballet that also require a dedication to perfectionism.

duncan:

--- Quote from: Tom de Gay on February 11, 2023, 01:11:07 pm ---I guess stuff like kaizen is well known, the trains are punctual, etc, etc. If so, you’d expect to see an unusually high general level in comparable sports such as gymnastics. Is that the case?

--- End quote ---

Japan are a powerhouse in men's gymnastics. The all round gymnastics gold medalists in 2012, 2016 and 2021 were all Japanese. Since WW2, the Japanese and USSR/Russian all-round men's individual and men's teams tie for most gold medals. The women are not as successful historically but are catching up.

The country is also very strong in figure skating. In the last twenty years, Japanese men have won the largest number of individual Olympic medals and the women are second to Russia.

You could tell a similar story in activities like classical music and ballet that also require a dedication to perfectionism.

Tom de Gay:

--- Quote from: duncan on February 11, 2023, 02:24:24 pm ---

--- End quote ---

Also in more quotidian activities such as fruit cultivation, tree pruning, gift wrapping, handwriting…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version