UKBouldering.com

Longhead biceps rupture NNFN (Read 1153 times)

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 11, 2023, 10:36:46 pm
Right then, I've had a search and while I've seen plenty of people with SLAP tears, biceps tears, people having ruptured the longhead and doing nothing, I've found nothing about anyone who has fully ruptured the longhead biceps and had it reattached, which is what I'm looking at right now.
It went Tuesday night and with a bit of luck I'll have it reattached Thursday next week. Anyone any experience of this and the recovery process?
Consultant reckons back to climbing in 2 - 3 months
I'm aware that 'reattachment' is actually drilling a hole in the humurous and screwing the biceps tendon in, so not actually putting thing back to normal. But also means that there isn't much 'repairing' to happen. Just moving the point of attachment somewhat and getting over the fact of invasive surgery.
Anyone done this and have experience of the rehab?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 11, 2023, 10:41:38 pm
Is this what happened to Jim, formerly of this parish?

petejh

• forum hero
#2 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 11, 2023, 11:23:07 pm
My regular climbing partner had his longhead bicep fully rupture around 3 years ago. Him being him (and also following advice from his surgeon) he didn’t bother having it reattached and just continued climbing without it. He’s doing fine, climbs mid E grade trad and high grade winter, grade 7 sport.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#3 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 12, 2023, 08:00:38 am
I got a complete rupture of mine about 6-7 years ago and, being as I’d stopped climbing at the time, didn’t bother repairing it. I did mine wakeboarding, which was my main pastime back then.

Similar to above, lack of repair didn’t hamper progress too much once I did find my way back to climbing and I’ve managed to match/slightly better previous levels despite being an older git now.

Can’t speak to post-surgery rehab but guess you’ll be looking at a good 4 to 6 months work to get it back to strength

T_B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 12, 2023, 08:35:02 am
Andy Cave did his last year. Doesn’t seem to have slowed him down much.

Mike Highbury

• addict
#5 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 12, 2023, 08:46:16 am
Following a SLAP repair that I tore off, I has a biceps tenodesis performed when I was about 45.

The surgeon said that it was for old men and not his preferred method for younger people. Also, that I had earned it by ripping his previous best work to bits, or something like. Surgery and its practitioners' contempt for patients may have moved on in the meantime.

Unlike a SLAP repair, where one's arm is/was immobilised for a couple of months (I can't recall exactly), I was back at the wall within 6 weeks. I do not believe that I have ever been as strong as I was before the rounds of surgery started but am fairly certain that I have never tried as hard as I did before then. As I said, I'm older now so scary trad is perfect for the weaker body but quieter mind.

What I should have requested is for the surgeon to not stretch out the bicep so that I was left with a bulging one like Popeye. Not functional but at least it would have looked good.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 12, 2023, 10:26:24 am
Hmmm, quite a different take on patient age from the surgeon there. My guy said if I were older (I'm 41) and/less active he would suggest leaving it, but younger/more active people he'd suggest tenodesis.

Do you mean that you aren't as strong post-op but that could be because you used to try harder? Or that you are less strong now but tend to try harder so it isn't that noticible?

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 12, 2023, 11:40:03 am
Is this what they call the Popeye injury. If so I did mine about 20 years ago and didn’t have it repaired. I saw a physio and took it steady for month or so then carried on as normal. I never noticed any subsequent weakness it that arm.

Mike Highbury

• addict
#8 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 12, 2023, 12:03:04 pm
Do you mean that you aren't as strong post-op but that could be because you used to try harder? Or that you are less strong now but tend to try harder so it isn't that noticible?

The former, to my eternal shame.

Mike Highbury

• addict
#9 Re: Longhead biceps rupture NNFN
February 12, 2023, 12:15:46 pm
Is this what they call the Popeye injury. If so I did mine about 20 years ago and didn’t have it repaired. I saw a physio and took it steady for month or so then carried on as normal. I never noticed any subsequent weakness it that arm.

I understand it to be when the repaired bicep is not stretched out fully when it is re-attached, so bulges more on contraction.

The reason that I am weaker is that, following the second repair, I stopped competing and bouldering on sandstone and started sea cliffs and other trad stuff, instead; which demanded so much less.

And, then, there's the other thing, I got older.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal