Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#200 Re: Sharkathon 2023
January 31, 2023, 08:46:31 pm
30 - EXERCISE: 4 hours quarry cleaning.
31 - FUN: Various bouldering moves that were okay for elbow. EXERCISE: 1 hour walk, 1 hour bonus sharkathon-inspired gym session, 40 mins weights (failed on 80 bench and had to roll it down my blubber  :'( ) and 30 mins stretching.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#201 Re: Sharkathon 2023
January 31, 2023, 09:04:10 pm
Realised that I haven't entered details for the last week.
I managed at least 30 mins of exercise each day.

Most importantly, today I went climbing outside and it was ace. Not only that, but I went climbing with another human being, which made it more ace.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#202 Re: Sharkathon 2023
January 31, 2023, 09:09:55 pm

Where you away to?

Les Gets. Fortunately it's snowed in the last few weeks as before it looked like Macclesfield on the webcams.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#203 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 07:29:37 am
messaged you

seankenny

• forum hero
#204 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 10:05:05 am
I can’t do “proper” Sharkathon as I’m sick and can’t really do exercise, so I set myself my own personal Sharkathon: daily study of Sinhala (my partner’s other language) throughout January. Pleased to report I managed every day but one when I was really tired, have made some good progress and learnt lots of new words and grammar. Chuffed with that.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#205 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 10:21:24 am
I can’t do “proper” Sharkathon as I’m sick and can’t really do exercise, so I set myself my own personal Sharkathon: daily study of Sinhala (my partner’s other language) throughout January. Pleased to report I managed every day but one when I was really tired, have made some good progress and learnt lots of new words and grammar. Chuffed with that.

ah... Sinhala is a diglossia I have been told, so you have to learn two languages for the price of one? Respect.

seankenny

• forum hero
#206 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 10:58:07 am
Thanks but I don’t go there! I only learn spoken Sinhala as that’s all I need for family events and travel. The written and formal version is really different and much harder, to the point that it sounds like a different language, much more like Hindi. My other half, despite growing up speaking Sinhala at home in the U.K., had to get special tutoring to be able to understand the formal version when she went to school in Sri Lanka. A bit academic for me as I’m at the level of “let’s go to aunties’ house and eat rice and curry” rather than epic poetry.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#207 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 11:14:55 am
Man, Sharkathon feels like it was a bit of a bloodbath this year. How many people fulfilled the criteria and avoided (re)injury? Seems like just Lagers and Spidermonkey.

webbo

• forum hero
#208 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 11:30:20 am
I didn’t bother starting as going to have my left hip replaced which happened on January 25th. Although I still only had about 3 days when I did nothing. 2 when I had the flu bug thing that was going round and the other was the day of the op.
Currently 7 days in to rehab program and managed to walk about a mile.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#209 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 12:04:51 pm
Hope you recover well webbo. I know it might make you feel old, but my mum had it / them done about 10 years ago, and she was revitalised after the rehab period.

webbo

• forum hero
#210 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 12:48:55 pm
Chris the problem is that I am old.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#211 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 01:14:27 pm
Man, Sharkathon feels like it was a bit of a bloodbath this year. How many people fulfilled the criteria and avoided (re)injury? Seems like just Lagers and Spidermonkey.

I've fulfilled the criteria but def pranged myself like a fucking penis. On the other hand after months of not doing proper weighted pullups and fingerboarding, on Sunday I benchmarked myself.

Weight, 76kgs

5 rep pullup max weight, 28kgs
3 rep pullup max weight, 32kgs

This is a few kgs lower than my peak (which I believe was 33 and 36 maybe, after months of doing nothing else during rehab) but not much lower, which is pleasing.

10 second hang on 20mm, max weight added was 38kgs. I could maybe do more, but I was feeling achey and kept it there. All time max on that edge for that time is 48kgs, again when I peaked after a heavy block.

So a good baseline there imo, something to improve on.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#212 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 01:16:30 pm
Chris the problem is that I am old.

Old but still at it. Gives the rest of us some good psyche and inspiration, does me anyway

SA Chris

• forum hero
#213 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 01:28:39 pm
This. If I can still kick with the fray like you do at your age I will be delighted.

webbo

• forum hero
#214 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 01:45:01 pm
I was rather pleased with myself for doing 41 problems on my board the day before my op. Unfortunately I’m going to have to hang to that for the next few months.
I asked the physio doing my post op mobility assessment would I be ok doing some weights in the next week or so. He looked at me like I’d gone mad.
Given I can barely weight the raised toilet seat they gave me to take home with me. I can now see where was coming from :lol:

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#215 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 05:00:54 pm

Yep - Spannered like a good un! I thought the first rule of Sharkathon was: if it hurts keep hammering it til it either stops hurting or you just can't move it anymore???  :lol:

31: Post physio 25-degree Moonboard session - 10+ benchmarks 5+ to 6a+... Now I know this sounds like madness with an elbow issue (even to me - taking into account the above) but the logic came from a Dave Mac article regarding steep boards with golfers and from Ozzy stating that I should try and maintain without aggravating... My last MB session caused no issues whereas a relatively light routes session caused nuff pain (probably due to locking off while clipping)... Ultimately this was a fact-finding exercise (albeit a risky one...) but I'm happy to say that today I feel no adverse effects and if anything it's less tweaky today than yesterday!  :2thumbsup:

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#216 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 06:56:17 pm
Quote from: AJM
31st - good wall session, ticked some projects
1st - leg rehab and stretching
2nd - glorious winter sunshine on Portland. A handful of routes to 6b+ and a general family faff day.
3rd - inset day for the lad so I took the day off and we went to the wall - another good session, off the last move of a project.
4th - back to work, 3.5 mile round trip walk and rows and pushups in the evening
5th - 4 mile round trip to work via nursery, evening stretching
6th - stretching, rehab, foot elevated pushups
7th - busy day out with the kids, walking carrying lugging etc. Then a few sets of pushups, bodyweight squats and some stretching
8th - wall, ticked a project. A big family faff trip.
9th - rows and pushups, I think
10th - short fingerboard, I think
11th - about 2 miles to and fro work (a bit of bus assistance due to rain)
12th - rehab, I think
13th - stretching
14th - short fingerboard session
15th - really solid rehab and stretching session
16th - stretching, rehab, foot elevated pushups
17th - fingerboard. Managed to get back on the 8mm edges, albeit only at bodyweight (I did get to 4s with bw+6, so actually more promising than I had expected). Off my previous bests by some way (I haven’t weighed myself recently, so uncertain exactly how much), but the recruitment is building back up.
18th - 3.5mile walk to and fro work; MrsAJMs birthday so otherwise nothing
19th - 1.7mile walk to work. Short stretching session in the evening.
20th - short rehab, stretching and pushups session. Varied the hand position on the pushups to try to make them a bit tougher.
21st - walking round durdle door in glorious winter sunshine.
22nd - fingerboard. Bodyweight on the 8mm edges again.
23rd - Leg rehab session. Everything feeling much better now. Need to try the more climbing specific exercise and maybe look for some more specifically strength focused stuff. And perhaps start actually trying the odd heel out on rock?
24th - stretching
25th - 3.5 miles round trip to work
26th - 4 mile round trip to work and nursery
27th - climbing wall. Got sucked into some projects. Managed a heel hook with no issues! So exciting.
28th - does taking the 2 kids by myself to ikea on a Saturday in the middle of the day count as a workout? It certainly felt like one! I otherwise got distracted and didn’t really do anything else apart from about ten minutes of stretching right before bed.
29th - another strong wall session.
30th - stretching
31st - fell at the final hurdle. Didn’t finish work until 10pm and just couldn’t be arsed after that

It wasn’t the best Sharkathon I could have done, a couple of dubious days and ideally I’d have done more than walks to work at times - but it’s been a month of high stress at home and high workload in the office and I did do the regular rehab I wanted to do and I can now heel hook at the wall again and that’s all that really matters.

If I just sort out my shoulder now I’ll be back to full body function again.

Intending to try to keep the regularity of exercise high through February and March  and keep the focus on rehab, both continuing to improve the hamstring and also fixing the shoulder. Cheers everyone!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#217 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 07:50:08 pm

I'm an exercise Trotskyite, on a permanent sharkathon. I usually have some ache or pain but it's almost always possible to do something. Generally the only thing that stops me is a cold (or covid). When the world was taking more care not to spread bugs I managed all 365 days in 2021 and every day of 2020 til mid. December when I got covid. This year, I failed on day 10.

Good luck webbo, not that you need it. If you've walked a mile on post-op. day 7 it's fair to say you're well ahead of most people's recovery timescale!

Duma

• forum hero
#218 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 07:57:56 pm
Big up all you lot who kept trying! I sacked it off on the 12th, with sleep struggles and work taking a fair bit more energy than normal I was already at 65% ish, and just couldn't face it.

webbo

• forum hero
#219 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 08:14:07 pm

I'm an exercise Trotskyite, on a permanent sharkathon. I usually have some ache or pain but it's almost always possible to do something. Generally the only thing that stops me is a cold (or covid). When the world was taking more care not to spread bugs I managed all 365 days in 2021 and every day of 2020 til mid. December when I got covid. This year, I failed on day 10.

Good luck webbo, not that you need it. If you've walked a mile on post-op. day 7 it's fair to say you're well ahead of most people's recovery timescale!
The only down side to this I seem to have changed my  left foot( op side) in to some sort of trotter.
Fortunately it’s not hot or even slightly raised in temperature.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#220 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 01, 2023, 10:44:04 pm
31: 50 minute walk.

All in all, a bit disappointed I ended up with so many walks in there and not more runs BUT:

- There were plenty of days I would have gladly done fuck all had it not been for Sharkathon.

- it's made me get creative and find stuff to do at home once the kids have gone to bed.

- I learned not to throw myself at EVERYTHING all at the same time, i.e. don't do a massive core, shoulder and leg workout and expect to be able to run the next day - tactics/strategy/pacing are important (especially as I get older).

- I did loose exactly 1 kilo of weight which is good, only 6 to go!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#221 Re: Sharkathon 2023
February 03, 2023, 12:06:06 pm
Well done Sharkathletes

I managed to keep the exercise going with walks but unfortunately dieting and no alcohol went out the window.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal