UKBouldering.com

Hypothyroidism / IBS advice (Read 4000 times)

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 17, 2023, 10:05:00 am
Do I remember reading that you relatively recently moved to a more keto style diet too?

Yes I did do a longer phase of low carb during the summer which obviously results in more meat/fish consumption. Was just having this conversation whilst checking in with my mum about family history. I'm taking a look into low purine diets to see if that could be useful.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 17, 2023, 10:06:16 am
If it's gout (or a sub-threshold version of it), there's a huge genetic factor -- purines in diet can affect it, but you might be having problems from a diet that most people would be fine with.

(My brother-in-law's got it.)

Aye, I've sent my mum off on a quest round the family now so we'll see if anything crops up.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 24, 2023, 10:59:28 am
Right so I've organised myself and made a few nutritional changes. Seems like there's no known family history at least on my mums side. I'm implementing the following for the next couple of months to see if I can drop the mg/dl down into the normal range:

• Severely reducing/cutting out meat/alcohol/legumes
  • Adding an additional 2l water per day on top of my normal drinks (I've typically drunk very little liquid in general)
  • Taking a course of a high quality daily probiotic to try and help the gut function sort itself out
  • Logging macros and energy intake for a wee while to make sure I don't annihilate my protein intake

Any other good strategies to implement?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#28 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 24, 2023, 11:02:59 am
live yoghurt?

dunnyg

• forum hero
#29 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 24, 2023, 11:29:50 am
Diary of symptoms, e.g. energy level, pain, shits etc..

andy popp

• forum hero
#30 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 25, 2023, 04:33:42 am
I've had one severe attack of gout - absolutely classic symptoms, very suddent onset, woken in the middle of the night by excruciating pain in my big toe. I went to the doctors and he diagnosed it with a single glance at my very shiny and red toe. It abated and I've never experienced it since (I've perhaps  had a couple slight twinges but nothing like the first bout). I can't remember exactly when it was but at least 10+ years ago, so in my mid-40s probably.

An attack in this classic form is unmistakeable. I didn't have any of the other symptoms you describe and didn't know it could be associated with these other symptoms.

I can't offer much dietary advice as I was (and am) vegan and had been vegan for over twenty years when the attack happened. Starting from such different dietary positions what will work for you will likely be very different (in fact, you're likely to move closer to the kind of diet I was eating at the time of the attack). Alcohol may have been a factor for me but you describe a pretty low level of consumption, even during a period of "festivities." More water sounds very sensible.

I think Lagers has had more persistent problems?

slab_happy

• forum hero
#31 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 25, 2023, 04:47:33 pm
Right so I've organised myself and made a few nutritional changes. Seems like there's no known family history at least on my mums side. I'm implementing the following for the next couple of months to see if I can drop the mg/dl down into the normal range:

• Severely reducing/cutting out meat/alcohol/legumes
  • Adding an additional 2l water per day on top of my normal drinks (I've typically drunk very little liquid in general)
  • Taking a course of a high quality daily probiotic to try and help the gut function sort itself out
  • Logging macros and energy intake for a wee while to make sure I don't annihilate my protein intake

Any other good strategies to implement?

Coffee, vitamin C and cherries!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524

Though I wouldn't try implementing everything at once, as it means if you get an improvement it's harder to sort out what's causing it.

Also (on the basis of a quick Google) you might not need to cut out all legumes; sounds like plant-based high-purine foods tend to be much less of a problem.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#32 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 25, 2023, 10:49:58 pm
Nice one folks, some good rabbit holes to go down here.. Much appreciated.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 28, 2023, 11:33:40 am
Well it's been a bit of a rapid ride but here's the update so far. 

Gut issues vanished after around 5-7 days after the diet shift and stayed gone. Starting to wonder if I'm actually even lactose intolerant now or if that was a weird false flag or side effect. Will test in due course.

Coffee consumption halved compared to the last few months without any conscious oversight. I just felt less tired/fatigued and wanted less.

Joint pain seems to be slowly reducing but much slower than other symptoms. This took a long time to build up in the first place so it's probably to be expected that it takes a while to back off again.

Weird headaches are gone (this is probably the result of doubling water intake to be honest).

Generally speaking my hunger signalling seems to be somewhat reduced (could also just be hydration related).

I seem to have lost a fair bit of subcutaneous fluid. I'm not sure how else to describe this but I suddenly started looking quite a bit leaner despite weighing the same and eating the same calories. Possibly also hydration??

Either way all positive so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how things will progress over the next few weeks.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#34 Re: Hypothyroidism / IBS advice
January 28, 2023, 02:12:34 pm
Glad to hear things are looking up for you. Hope it continues

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal