UKBouldering.com

Wrist sprain (Read 1318 times)

Ged

• junky
Wrist sprain
December 18, 2022, 08:09:18 pm
I know I know, seek medical advice. But on the off chance anyone has experience of similar, worth a shot.

I've been dismantling a boars due to the guy who's barn it is in selling up. Had to apply some brute force with a screw driver to loosen a few stubborn screws, and my wrist is now pretty painful. Especially when trying to crimp or undercut/do anything that involves rotating it.

Any good advice for rehabbing it? I was going to let it settle for a couple of days, and then do various wrist raises with a small weight and build up from there.

It's bloody sore, so keen to hear from anyone who's had similar

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Wrist sprain
December 18, 2022, 08:13:19 pm
I feel sorry for the boars TBH  :'(

P.S. I've had mild wrist sprains in the past and a combination of a wrist splint if needed, taping fairly firmly for support / reminder, gentle rehab exercises and avoiding twisting movements (straight down pulling can be fine) has worked well.

Ged

• junky
#2 Re: Wrist sprain
December 18, 2022, 08:20:15 pm
Damn it! Board. Definitely board.

I was keen to avoid talking about woodies and wrist injuries in the same sentence after much mick taking by my wife.

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Wrist sprain
December 18, 2022, 09:40:27 pm
I’ve had similar many years ago when making tables. Steel framed with plywood tops and screwing the tops down. I just rested for a couple of days. More recently with my arthritic wrists I find if I tape my wrist when warming up then take it off I’m reasonably pain free with no after effects.

Bradders

• forum hero
#4 Re: Wrist sprain
December 18, 2022, 10:12:19 pm
How recently did it happen?

Ged

• junky
#5 Re: Wrist sprain
December 18, 2022, 11:08:29 pm
Only last Monday, but it's feeling worse rather than better. Probably because I've tried to climb on it.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Wrist sprain
December 19, 2022, 12:02:06 am
Sounds like TFCC. They can be a pisstake to heal because you have to load the ligament but in s way that doesn't further the injury. Biscuit helped me sort mine out after I'd been messing around for months trying to get it back to normal.

Ged

• junky
#7 Re: Wrist sprain
December 19, 2022, 07:44:46 am
Sounds like TFCC. They can be a pisstake to heal because you have to load the ligament but in s way that doesn't further the injury. Biscuit helped me sort mine out after I'd been messing around for months trying to get it back to normal.

Google tells me that's what it is. Balls. Can you recall much about the sorts of things you did to load it?

James Malloch

• forum hero
#8 Re: Wrist sprain
December 19, 2022, 07:59:39 am
I’ve had some TFCC injuries and also spoken to Biscuit (process physiotherapy) about them.

From memory my main exercise was to hold a dumbbell and rotate it. So stood up, top of arm tight into my side, elbow at 90 degrees so my forearm was parallel to the ground.

I’d then use a dumbbell (actually just a bar for one without any weight at first) and then rotate it from palm up to palm down position.

At first I really struggled with no weight at all and then I could slowly add it until my injured wrist could use the same weight as my other. I never went very far into the pain whilst rotating but far enough to trigger it to maybe 4/10.

Overtime I increased the range of movement and the weight. I found I progressed quite quickly.

I also used a TFCC brace which (I think) isolates the tendon and meant I could still climb pretty much at my limit once the initial pains had gone. Though just had to be careful of undercuts and some side pulls which I introduced over time. Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Support-Triangular-Fibrocartilage-Injuries/dp/B0B42RCRW7/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=tfcc+brace&qid=1671436083&sr=8-4

A session with Andy is about £50 if you wanted a proper diagnosis. I think also covers TFCC in his new self-rehab book. Mine has arrived but I’m away so haven’t looked at it yet.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Wrist sprain
December 19, 2022, 08:23:05 am
Mine has arrived but I’m away so haven’t looked at it yet.

Thanks for a reminder to order it.

Ged

• junky
#10 Re: Wrist sprain
December 19, 2022, 08:40:44 am
I’ve had some TFCC injuries and also spoken to Biscuit (process physiotherapy) about them.

From memory my main exercise was to hold a dumbbell and rotate it. So stood up, top of arm tight into my side, elbow at 90 degrees so my forearm was parallel to the ground.

I’d then use a dumbbell (actually just a bar for one without any weight at first) and then rotate it from palm up to palm down position.

At first I really struggled with no weight at all and then I could slowly add it until my injured wrist could use the same weight as my other. I never went very far into the pain whilst rotating but far enough to trigger it to maybe 4/10.

Overtime I increased the range of movement and the weight. I found I progressed quite quickly.

I also used a TFCC brace which (I think) isolates the tendon and meant I could still climb pretty much at my limit once the initial pains had gone. Though just had to be careful of undercuts and some side pulls which I introduced over time. Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Support-Triangular-Fibrocartilage-Injuries/dp/B0B42RCRW7/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=tfcc+brace&qid=1671436083&sr=8-4

A session with Andy is about £50 if you wanted a proper diagnosis. I think also covers TFCC in his new self-rehab book. Mine has arrived but I’m away so haven’t looked at it yet.

Thanks for that. Afraid I don't know who Biscuit /Andy is.

Ordered a splint. Will give it a week to calm down a bit then try some of the exercises described.

I did my other wristbin years ago playing football on the campsite in Pembroke. Hurt for ages and I couldn't hold my palm out for change in a shop. The shopkeepers always thought I was going to shake their hand and gave me odd looks. Hope this one heals quicker

SA Chris

• forum hero

Ged

• junky
#12 Re: Wrist sprain
December 19, 2022, 03:15:04 pm
Thanks

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Wrist sprain
December 19, 2022, 03:40:11 pm
No probs, hope the writstbin gets sorted and the boars were tasty.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#14 Re: Wrist sprain
December 19, 2022, 07:41:58 pm
Never mind
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 07:48:16 pm by mrjonathanr »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal