UKBouldering.com

Another Carrock Fell First Ascent (Read 7244 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 13, 2004, 09:50:51 pm
Nice one Mr. K...

http://www.lakesbloc.co.uk/8.html

I'd just like to make the point that I was just about to do this problem but I thought I'd let the injured youth have it, as its all in yer legs  :wink:  :D

Nigel

• forum hero
#1 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 13, 2004, 10:51:33 pm
As you had had the previous go, I think you might have broken an unspoken gentleman's agreement if you had done it first  :wink: Plus you wouldn't have had that gleaming nugget of undercut beta if I hadn't gone first. Every cloud n all that...  :lol:

To all the other users of the site - don't be too surprised if a new Carrock Fell problem appears on the News forum every week for the next 50 years, there's a lot of rock  :shock:

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#2 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 15, 2004, 10:06:46 am
Don't be suprised if they were first climbed a long time ago either!
 :lol:

Nigel

• forum hero
#3 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 15, 2004, 10:50:14 am
Don't be too surprised if I tell you what a load of shite that old chestnut is.

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#4 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 15, 2004, 10:54:35 am
ouch!

:lol:

Nigel

• forum hero
#5 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 15, 2004, 11:09:46 am
Quite.

This really all we ever hear about this crag. What is becoming increasingly obvious is that the men who "did it all before" were undoubtably secreting some kind of fertiliser due to the large amounts of moss and lichen on most of the problems we have done recently. They had also surpassed themselves and climbed much harder problems, on dirty rock, above terrible landings without mats, and above slippy hillsides without spotters, than they had on the main three roadside boulders.

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#6 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 15, 2004, 11:52:30 am
Hi Nigel

You are obviously doing a great job there but don't be too sure that just because they appear unclimbed that they are. I have returned to problems (not Carrock Fell) I have done anly a couple of years previously to find lichen has grown back (the theory  that lichen takes years to grow is total rubbish).  Of course mass grows much quicker.

Anyway I think that you should record and name the problems most of them will be new I'm sure.

Steve

Nigel

• forum hero
#7 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 15, 2004, 12:30:07 pm
Fair point about moss and lichen, I will take your word for it as you're a man of the world. Although in the case of at least one new problem sods of turf may be harder to explain away!

However on problems such as these (i.e. V7 upwards) which have regrown vegetation after being "done before", a more pertinent point is the lack of brushing. It is not an exaggeration to say that the vast majority of the established problems at Carrock have witnessed heavy brushing. That this was felt necessary on these 'easier' problems and yet not on the harder ones seems more than a little odd.

Along with the fact that the local topo to the area includes none of these problems despite them being "done before", the impliction is that at one point several years ago a lone man/small group of singular talent and no brushes roamed this hillside. This I'll believe when I hear definate information...

I make no apologies for having a bee in my bonnet on this subject because it seems to me that the whole thing is sour grapes.

tc

• junky
#8 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 15, 2004, 01:06:48 pm
Some of it is sour grapes, to be sure. But this is not the full story. It's all happened before (Wales in the early 90s). Claims, counter claims and outright bullshit will always flourish, especially at places like Carrock with its complicated history and even more complicated topography. Hold tight for a bumpy ride.

Nigel

• forum hero
#9 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 15, 2004, 01:40:05 pm
Lets hope we can sort the wheat from the chaff then eh! Steve, there is a draft topo in production for Carrock. If yourself or anyone you know would like to see it so they can put us right and help with descriptions etc then just say...

tc

• junky
#10 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 18, 2004, 05:10:53 pm
Quote from: "Nigel"

Along with the fact that the local topo to the area includes none of these problems despite them being "done before", the impliction is that at one point several years ago a lone man/small group of singular talent and no brushes roamed this hillside.

The "local" topo was produced without being circulated to all the players and is far from complete.

Singularly talented visitors over the years include Rouse and Boysen (both climbing V6/7 in their day), Scott and Bonington. The development of the fellside was very patchy throughout the 80s and early 90s but in the late 90s local boys like Kit Wilkinson, Duncan Booth, Jaime Robertson, Adam Hocking, Caff, Jungle and Ryan Dempsey, left their mark...not forgetting guest appearances from old gippers like Jungle's dad Dave Hollows, Kev Howett and yours truly. There have probably been many more. Research continues.

Speaking personally, I visted for the first time in 1998 and never recorded anything as I bowed to local pressure to keep things quiet. I have never used anything but a soft brush on any of my problems there.

Danny

• junky
#11 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 19, 2004, 09:55:10 pm
While we're on the subject of this area...
I've only been there twice, at some point ages ago, but whilst there a mate of mine climbed what I think is now called Fangtastic, V6?
The reason I'm fairly sure he climbed it first is cos he spent a day pulling rocks out from under the bloc to make the start possible.
He(Andy Rao) called it "Ryan's end" I think.
Just a minor point, could be way off, I obviously know FA about the area, so feel free to correct me.

Danny

• junky
#12 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 19, 2004, 10:01:40 pm
Its the one in the lakes bloc photo gallery "Tom Burns, V6, carrock fell"
Also worked on, but didn't do, a highball line(we had 6 pads!) on the large bloc in front of the one previously mentioned, central over the bulge, would be interested to know if thats been done yet?
Cheers people :)

Nigel

• forum hero
#13 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 19, 2004, 10:19:21 pm
As far I know the bulge hasn't been done, but then I don't know very far!

The V6 that Tom is on is believed to be a Hocking problem, unless of course your ascent predates his...I don't know when he did it though  :?

Danny

• junky
#14 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 19, 2004, 10:37:56 pm
Dunno the exact date(tho I could find out), but two summers ago, Ryan Dempsey will know(it was his "end")

a dense loner

• forum hero
#15 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 19, 2004, 11:15:14 pm
with the done years ago. why don't you do your topo, give it someone to grade check n the guy can look at the new topo, cross your name out, claim the probs as his n his mates. even tho they've only been goin there a few years n u met them when they just started goin. bearin in mind you had already told them that the "new" probs they had done weren't new. sorry to sound like i've got a bee in my bonnet but i have :twisted:

clm

• forum hero
#16 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 20, 2004, 08:14:22 pm
i know the feeling. :rolleyes: (green with envy with respect to a certain paul r)
hey dense, dont forget me housewarming next weekend.  tell fat fingers to pop along too.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#17 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 21, 2004, 07:00:39 am
I presume you mean me clm?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#18 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 21, 2004, 11:08:38 am
speaking of housewarmin, r u sure you want me there? went to mates housewarmin last night, puked outside, only done this about 3 times in my life. sure i tried to pull married woman. still feel half cut now :freak:

Greg C

• forum hero
#19 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 21, 2004, 01:13:19 pm
Fangtastic is not (as far as know) the problem Tom is on in the pic. I was sent some pics by the North Lakesboyz a while ago one of which featured Wes Hunter on Fangtastic, which (according to the info supplied) was the problem on the downhill end of the same block, but I suppose they could have got mixed up when naming the photos?

I think Hock did the problem with Tom on (featured on LakesBloc) about a year and half/two years ago when did your mate do it?

Danny

• junky
#20 Another Carrock Fell First Ascent
November 21, 2004, 09:40:12 pm
Defo about the same time, which don't help.  The only reason I'm pretty sure his was the first ascent is that they had to pull massive rocks out from under the boulder to make the start possible.
However, I don't think he's that bothered about it (or he would have made a fuss ages ago), just thought I'd mention it.
Bon effort for getting the place documented so others can enjoy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal