UKBouldering.com

Dry bags for pads? (Read 2438 times)

Danny

• junky
Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 09:51:35 am
Recently I've been using a paddle board to scope out potential here in the South West. If I find decent rock I'll typically look for a land based approach for future reference.

Depending on venue, it would often be more convenient (and fun) to take a couple of pads along on the board instead. Ideally lashed to the deck, but I guess towing would also work.

Google has so far drawn a blank on what I think I want for this: a dry bag which is big enough to fit a pad inside.

Failing that, a massive plastic bag or tarp may do, depending on sea state/acceptable pad wetness.

Do dry bags exist at the right size? If not, what other creative options might I have?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 10:15:15 am
Don't think dry bags go that big, or if they did, they would be horrifically spenny. I've made a waterproof bag using  cut up heavy duty rubble bags and duct tape which was ok for keep it dry (for stashing, guilty), but not sure it would survive a dunking.

Danny

• junky
#2 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 10:19:34 am
Expected as much! I reckon some of the roof bags you can buy for cars may almost work—but I don't think many are proper waterproof.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 10:26:38 am
No, not for keeping things bone dry. Rubble bags are cheap as chips, and can be cut and stuck to suit.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#4 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 10:27:32 am
You could tape some polythene sheets around them. You would have to retape every use but would be reasonable cheap.
Also something from Polybags might do the trick. Again, not particularly hardwearing but at least waterproof. Extra large.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 11:23:44 am
If you went somewhere like DFS or Bensons for beds, I bet they have skips full of the heavy duty polythene sheeting that sofas and mattresses come wrapped in out the back.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 11:26:34 am
Recently I've been using a paddle board to scope out potential here in the South West. If I find decent rock I'll typically look for a land based approach for future reference.

I discovered 3 spots on the coast doing this last year. One got some good development, one is disappointingly hard, and one i have not actually had a closer look at yet.

Danny

• junky
#7 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
Great thanks. These are pretty much what new pads come in!
You could tape some polythene sheets around them. You would have to retape every use but would be reasonable cheap.
Also something from Polybags might do the trick. Again, not particularly hardwearing but at least waterproof. Extra large.

Danny

• junky
#8 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 01:15:14 pm

I discovered 3 spots on the coast doing this last year. One got some good development, one is disappointingly hard, and one i have not actually had a closer look at yet.

Nice. It's great fun and has the added benefit of avoiding vertical grass/spikey shit/death choss approaches.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 01:33:24 pm
And lessens your chances of accidentally dropping expensive photographic equipment from height into a shallow rockpool.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#10 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 03:10:15 pm
If you can find someone who does pad repairs etc then they might be able to make them bespoke sizes.

I can’t remember why I wanted one, but I once asked a friend who was a machinist for Alpkit if he could make me one to fit a pad in and he said it would be pretty easy. Never ended up getting one though.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 03:25:51 pm
If not, what other creative options might I have?

I made a packraft from a kit provided by these guys https://iron-raft.co.uk/  which is awesome and I've had lots of adventures in it.
The material is TPU coated nylon (air tight/waterproof) and you make simple seams by ironing sections together.  They sell offcuts of the material and also by the metre.  I bought a couple of extra metres and made a spraydeck and considering making a bikepacking frame bag from the same.

I reckon you could make a good waterproof pad bag using this approach.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 03:38:49 pm
I like the idea of making the pads into wee rafts and towing them along behind. Dry bag back pack and good to go.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#13 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 04:58:13 pm
Is it only me who thought this was going to be about dry bags to protect stashed pads from the weather and roving rodents??

Danny

• junky
#14 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 06, 2022, 10:21:12 pm
If not, what other creative options might I have?

This looks potentially useful! Thanks.

I made a packraft from a kit provided by these guys https://iron-raft.co.uk/  which is awesome and I've had lots of adventures in it.
The material is TPU coated nylon (air tight/waterproof) and you make simple seams by ironing sections together.  They sell offcuts of the material and also by the metre.  I bought a couple of extra metres and made a spraydeck and considering making a bikepacking frame bag from the same.

I reckon you could make a good waterproof pad bag using this approach.

Danny

• junky
#15 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 07, 2022, 04:52:17 pm
Is it only me who thought this was going to be about dry bags to protect stashed pads from the weather and roving rodents??

SA Chris: guilty!

I'm not really paying much attention to the other thread. I stash pads all the time. Often epic approaches, mostly bouldering alone, and mostly at new venues, or places no one ever visits.

A few months ago I was hauling a 3 pad stack down a scree slope approach when I started to slide. With a high centre of gravity, the pads rotated in front of me and they nearly ended up throwing me down the slope. I proper tweaked my back trying to prevent this. In the end I had to leave all my pads stashed at the bottom as I could barely walk back up unloaded.

Danny

• junky
#16 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 07, 2022, 04:53:22 pm

Looks like they come in packs of ~50! I've requested a free sample, which may be all I need.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 07, 2022, 05:11:08 pm
Cheap orange survival bag.

Have used as a makeshift sledge. Lethal.

Hacker

#18 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 07, 2022, 11:08:01 pm
At a previous job they used to buy big very heavy duty bags to go over pallets to keep them dry outside prior to dispatch. (With a heat gun they could be shunk tight and  much fun was had with the massive heat /flame gun we had for this). They were massive so you could easily fit a pad inside or about 10 and you would only have to close one side to close. However sealing the last side to be waterproof would be difficult so I could image stopping water seeping in and everything getting very wet or sinking quickly being difficult.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#20 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 09, 2022, 08:16:40 am
Might freak SaR out if you leave it lying about though.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#21 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 09, 2022, 10:00:22 am
True yep  :)  Someone towing and stashing a cargo may freak out more than s&r in some coastal areas.  :blink:

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#22 Re: Dry bags for pads?
December 09, 2022, 05:25:35 pm
EB do a pad cover which is similar to a rucksack cover. Closes off most of the pad so would at least prevent splashes from doing much provided the hole faces upwards. Could be worth considering?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal