UKBouldering.com

Switzerland in May / June (Read 1427 times)

Bradders

• forum hero
Switzerland in May / June
November 26, 2022, 11:28:15 am
Where is likely to be good that time of year for the classic areas?

joel

• player
#1 Re: Switzerland in May / June
November 26, 2022, 07:23:04 pm
Depends on the snow level as it might hang around a bit… but probably Gotthard, Susten and Magic will prob be good. Also the many smaller areas of the Valais canton are good year round

Helge

#2 Re: Switzerland in May / June
December 03, 2022, 09:49:26 pm
Climbing or bouldering? Any specific geographic area? It depends on what you want to do, and how warm it is already around that time. There's so many possibilities, narrowing it down would help.

Bradders

• forum hero
#3 Re: Switzerland in May / June
December 04, 2022, 08:15:24 am
Climbing or bouldering? Any specific geographic area? It depends on what you want to do, and how warm it is already around that time. There's so many possibilities, narrowing it down would help.

Sorry, yes should have been more specific. Bouldering, with non-climbing wife and 18 month old in tow!

No specific area. Had kind of assumed Chironico would be the best bet given what I've read about landings, access, etc. although appreciate it may be a bit warm (good for the family at least). Would love other recommendations though. Not hoping to climb my hardest ever problem, just want to be able to explore lots of quality in the Font 7s ideally. Will have potentially up to a month so plenty of time, but equally don't want to waste that time if it'd be better elsewhere.

Had ruled Magic Wood out as sounds like it's not suitable for small children (as well as it clearly being ruined now  ;)).

sdm

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Switzerland in May / June
December 04, 2022, 09:13:12 am
We had to switch to night sessions for anything remotely slopey when we went to Chironico in August.

There's a lot of trees and the boulders are spread up the side of the valley so conditions on sectors at the top may be a lot better than sectors at the bottom.

It isn't going to be optimal timing for trying to climb something at your limit but you can still climb hard there when it's warm, it isn't as hard as climbing on grit or in Font in the summer.

If you go there, I suggest relying on GPS coordinates to find the boulders. The guidebook writer must have taken a healthy dose of hallucinogenics before drawing the maps; the actual terrain, landmarks and boulder locations/orientations are often nothing like what is drawn in the book.

It is often easier to walk out and drive to a different car park than to try and walk between sectors.

Some people had taken toddlers to Magic Wood but it wouldn't be on my list of toddler friendly venues. Chironico has a lot more flat areas that a toddler can explore.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal