UKBouldering.com

Spain to Font with a child (Read 2450 times)

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
Spain to Font with a child
November 22, 2022, 04:02:03 pm
Managed to get agreement for a 4 week holiday with my wife and 3.5 year old last two weeks of march and first two weeks of April.

4 weeks in font was initial thought and still an (pain aux raisin) option.

Now considering being a bit more ambitious and taking ferry to Spain for two weeks then going via family in Pyrenees to font for last two weeks.

In Spain the obvious choice would seem to be ~2 weeks in Albarracin.

I was wondering if la pedriza/alcaniz are also worth a few days each? To then allow pedriza->albaracin->alcaniz->pyrenees->font

We will be staying in airbnbs or similar. Due to child and abilities need prioritise short walk ins, relatively flat surroundings and reasonable density of non highball 6s-low 7s with decent landings (as often without a spot).

Would only need a couple of venues per area, any recommendations, including recommendations to just stick with albaraccin (never been) spend the month in font, or any other wildcard areas I haven't considered.

Ged

• junky
#1 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 22, 2022, 05:50:15 pm
That sounds like a shed load of unnecessary and stressful driving with a small child when font is basically the best. I vote font for a month, approached via ferryvto Brittany and a few days at start and end checking out nice beaches there.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 22, 2022, 06:07:15 pm
Ha I should mention that our child is good in the car eg 8 hrs plus tunnel back from font in a day with no complaints (don't worry he makes up for it in other ways). See this as only opportunity for some time to check out Spain with him and indeed get a couple of days at aunt and uncles in Pyrenees. Plus I suspect he would love the night-day-night on ferry. In laws relatively close to Portsmouth so will go there the night before making that a little easier.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 09:30:46 am
Is a long trip like that a good time to see how a small child's sea legs are? My wife says she's never been more ill than on that route.

I personally, wouldn't do it (I'd go for Ged's option and boulder in Brittany for a bit too) but you'll never know if you don't go.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 11:57:07 am
Hmm, seasickness was not on my list of considerations, is there a guide for Brittany or is it a 27crags job?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 11:59:56 am
There is a thread on here, i think there's a guide.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#6 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 12:09:24 pm
I’ve not been, but bouldering in Targassone in the Pyrenees came highly recommended to me.

It’s about 8-9 hours from
font so could work depending on where in the Pyrenees you were going.

Probably a similar amount of driving (or less) than going to Albarracin via the longer ferry and could mean you still see family (if you don’t get the overnight ferry…

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 01:19:33 pm
I am doing something similar this year (half remote working/half A/L) with a 1YO and a 3YO, however just staying in Font for the duration. If anyone has any good recommondations of areas to stay that have a shop/ play park that would be great. Last year we stay in Grez-sur-Loing which was pretty good but no accommodation available this year.

Targassone is a great venue, however from experience, expect lots of human poo and it could be cold at nights.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#8 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 01:21:59 pm

Targassone is a great venue, however from experience, expect lots of human poo and it could be cold at nights.

Ah yeah. In April it might be pretty chilly!

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#9 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 02:07:03 pm
I'd second Targasonne, very beautiful and compared to Font and Albaracin quiet, apart from weekends and Spanish Bank Holidays. April could be cold or hot, nights chilly. Can't say I have ever seen any poo, or trodden in any  ;).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 02:17:27 pm by Andy W »

T_B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 02:43:08 pm
I wouldn’t take a 3.5 year old to Targasonne personally. There’s nothing there. In summer it’s fun in the meadows chasing crickets but I’d want to be in a town or village with cafes etc. Plus the bouldering is fairly meh in my opinion.

In reply to Dan - Moret? There’s a new indoor swimming pool, lots of green space by the river, good creperie and ice cream parlour. Depends whether you’re after a village feel or want to stay in a town I suppose.

Sidewinder - I’d have a crack at going somewhere further afield if I had a month as Font is so easy from the UK for a week. I’ve always meant to go back to Madrid, so if it were me I’d maybe give Pedriza a try.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 03:00:24 pm
Thanks all, possibly just more confused as to what to do now!

T_B Further away was sort of the idea, my son has already racked up 8/9 weeks in font in 3 years. But we do want it to be fun for all and would agree 36 hrs of seasickness at the start doesn't sound ideal way to achieve this.

Dan, we havent found any good parks, the one in Milly is ok. Worth knowing that when we went recently the Milly swimming pool was shut due to energy prices so that may continue to be the case and extend to other leisure centres?

Brittany looks interesting and ferry looks more manageable/less sickness potential, apparently it is the bay of Biscay that is the bad bit. Have managed to find some (old school) topos and the accomodation is cheap!

Slight stress in that reasonable and reasonably priced accomodation in font seems to be disappearing quickly.

andy popp

• forum hero
#12 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 03:28:06 pm
I returned from the Picos on the ferry - Santander-Plymouth - and it's a wonderful way of making the journey, though obviously probably not to be recommended to an untested toddler or a partner prone to seasickness. But I would definitely recommend it to anyone else.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 03:49:23 pm
I would say go for it. If he's good in the car he'll be ok on the boat and it's a big adventure. He'll have an amazing time.

Re. Pedriza I've heard it's absolutely incredible from multiple people now so seems like it's worth at least a few days!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 23, 2022, 04:09:47 pm
I would say go for it. If he's good in the car he'll be ok on the boat

My kids and wife would all disagree on that! Last boat trip I was wading in the stuff (literally).

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 24, 2022, 07:10:50 am

My kids and wife would all disagree on that! Last boat trip I was wading in the stuff (literally).

Fair enough!  :o

Duncan campbell

• junky
#16 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 24, 2022, 08:28:18 am
Just checking but have you checked recently the length of the Santander ferry?

Used to be 29hrs (which felt loooong) now to save fuel think it is 48hrs which I personally couldn’t hack. I don’t mind the rough seas but the boredom is killer.

I might be wrong there though so definitely check

Duma

• forum hero
#17 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 24, 2022, 09:11:07 am
28hrs from Portsmouth
21hrs from Plymouth (doesn't run in winter I think)

Duncan campbell

• junky
#18 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 24, 2022, 10:49:52 am
Ah nice! Last time I looked it said 48hrs.  :slap:

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 24, 2022, 01:56:42 pm

Fair enough!  :o

Your kid may well be fine. I’ve got 3 and they love rough seas, no vomit in sight

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 24, 2022, 03:17:29 pm
Thanks all, child may be fine in rough seas, wife definitely isn't (but is prepared to brave the Brittany ferry/channel crossing, normally we tunnel).

As such we are likely going to do 5/6 days in Brittany then 3 weeks in font. This also lets us test sea legs. Already pencilling in a consolation trip to Albarracin (likely by plane) in October half term.

Will try and update the Brittany thread with more info as I find it. There is a fairly swish iPhone app, which is almost impossible to browse but I think geolocates to the boulders when you are there.

petejh

• forum hero
#21 Re: Spain to Font with a child
November 24, 2022, 03:40:18 pm
I've done the Bilbao/Santander ferry crossing twice, once in summer (Santander - Portsmouth) and once at new year (Rosslare - Bilbao) to go skiing in the Pyrenees.

Summer crossing = the most relaxing ferry crossing I've ever taken. Like a mini cruise.. with 12hrs of feet up on the sundeck reading snacking and drinking sandwiching a nice 8 hour sleep in between.

The winter crossing... fuck me! The swell was v.large. You couldn't safely walk around for much of the crossing. I've never felt so acutely sick for so long. The boat was shit-tip.  I spent around 24 of a 26 hour crossing not being able to be in a vertical orientation. Literally every time I tried to stand up and leave my bunk I'd feel too nauseous to do anything and have to lie down within a couple of minutes. That crossing made we understand how solo sailors can become debilitated and unable to operate through sea-sickness.

Go with your eyes open - look at the swell forecast, take sea-sickness meds (I didn't have any), and lots of snacks/entertainment that you can keep in the bunk as walking around may not be an option if its rough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal