UKBouldering.com

Qatar World Cup (Read 20036 times)

battery

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 21, 2022, 08:09:56 pm
I'm not able to fully articulate it at this point but this whole world cup makes me very uneasy. Glorifying a country which has such deplorable laws in place right now does not sit well with me. And FIFA, nor anyone else seem to be able to justify it in any reasonable, well argued way.

The comparison with Russia is also a bit shit as it's a bit like saying well you weren't all up in arms about the GBH that I committed so why are you now annoyed about the murder? A clumsy analogy I know,  it's a half baked idea in my head but the point stands - my ignorance of the issues with Russia last time does not mean that it is ok to ignore the issues with Qatar now.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#26 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 21, 2022, 08:50:37 pm
Qui tacet consentire videtur. It's some display of power. The suggestion that being there facilitates using the platform to highlight issues is not borne out by the commentators and players that are there. The fact is, participation is an endorsement. If they felt that bad about the Qatari record, associations would not send their teams to the tournament.
I won't be watching.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#27 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 21, 2022, 09:15:58 pm
How can one support international football when this is the pinnacle? I feel for the kids in my class. First World Cup in their memory and it's this... I can't even tell them why I have zero interest because I'd probably get put in front of the governors. Sport is a wonderful thing but this is utter bollocks.

Rugby World Cup this year kids! Get it before it gets banned (though, judging from Iran's keeper today, concussion apparently isn't a thing....)

battery

• obsessive maniac
#28 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 21, 2022, 09:45:34 pm
How can one support international football when this is the pinnacle? I feel for the kids in my class. First World Cup in their memory and it's this... I can't even tell them why I have zero interest because I'd probably get put in front of the governors. Sport is a wonderful thing but this is utter bollocks.

Rugby World Cup this year kids! Get it before it gets banned (though, judging from Iran's keeper today, concussion apparently isn't a thing....)

My kid's school spent the entire afternoon watching the game, they had the choice apparently of do arts and crafts or watch the game. I'm a bit livid.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#29 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 21, 2022, 10:04:42 pm
Qui tacet consentire videtur. It's some display of power. The suggestion that being there facilitates using the platform to highlight issues is not borne out by the commentators and players that are there. The fact is, participation is an endorsement. If they felt that bad about the Qatari record, associations would not send their teams to the tournament.
I won't be watching.

To be fair the BBC has done a good job on this, they have had Jeremy Bowen and other journalists on the football programmes talking about the relevant issues.  I don't blame players not wanting to risk being booked for wearing armbands,  it would probably be a futile gesture unless a whole team all did it together,  would they really book an entire team?
Posts on Twitter from supporters not let into a game for wearing a rainbow shirt... that's really worrying. 

webbo

• forum hero
#30 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 21, 2022, 10:15:31 pm
How hard would be for the crowd to coordinate a rendition of a Tom Robinson classic. 45,000 voices would be not that easy to drowned out.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#31 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 21, 2022, 10:22:30 pm
I did see that the Iranian players refused to sing the national anthem in support of the anti-gov protests. Brave of them and worthy of respect imo.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#32 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 21, 2022, 10:36:15 pm
You don’t blame the players Toby? Nor do I. I imagine they would feel very conflicted - making a statement is one thing, getting a card in the biggest tournament is letting team and fans down. It’s down to the football associations to decide what the team does, it’s their responsibility, not the players’.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#33 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 07:35:13 am
You don’t blame the players Toby? Nor do I. I imagine they would feel very conflicted - making a statement is one thing, getting a card in the biggest tournament is letting team and fans down. It’s down to the football associations to decide what the team does, it’s their responsibility, not the players’.

Agreed. It is FIFA's issue, the FA were given little option other than the position they adopted.

gme

• forum hero
#34 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 08:48:15 am
If people generally don’t watch this World Cup due to it being in Qatar they might as well stop watching football all together and add the Olympics and F1 to the list as countries with human rights issues are welcomed with open arms in all of them.
Qatar owns one of the biggest clubs in the world in PSG, Russia and China have staged world cups and olympics in recent years and will do so again. Saudi own my own club and are staging part of the Winter Olympics in 2029.
Add to that the UK and most countries are happy to do business with all of these places.
Climbers are even involved in helping Saudi promote its self and I’m sure we will end up with WC events there at some point.
Qatar is just a stupid place to have the WC but no worse than the ties football f1 and the Olympics already have.

I will be watching and hope the broadcasters keep pointing out the issues and making a big deal of it.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#35 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 11:10:14 am
As it happens I think F1 is a very objectionable sport given the surrounding problems it has.

The Olympics I'll grant you. I do watch it but yes the IOC etc is well sus.

Football in this country being awash with dodgy money is something people hugely object to all the time mind you. Fortunately as SUFC fan I don't need to worry about them playing City soon...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#36 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 12:07:54 pm
I'm with gav, hopefully this is the platform to highlight issues in the country I was admittedly unaware of until they were awarded hosting the WC.

That aside, looks like Saudis have pulled one out the bag!

gme

• forum hero
#37 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 12:33:32 pm
As it happens I think F1 is a very objectionable sport given the surrounding problems it has.

Football in this country being awash with dodgy money is something people hugely object to all the time mind you. Fortunately as SUFC fan I don't need to worry about them playing City soon...

Why do you find F1 more objectionable than footy?

SUFC supporter  ! a club with a saudi owner and vice chairman who wanted two british women whipped and beheaded for there crimes.

Not having a go at you ( i support and will continue to support NUFC) just pointing out that it runs through most big sports and not just because its in Qatar. I dont see any protests outside bramall lane.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#38 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 01:21:38 pm
If people generally don’t watch this World Cup due to it being in Qatar they might as well stop watching football all together and add the Olympics and F1 to the list as countries with human rights issues are welcomed with open arms in all of them.

But this is exactly one of the things that sucks! We should be able to have major sporting events that aren't so ethically tainted, and we are only gonna get there by actually taking action.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#39 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 01:47:12 pm

SUFC supporter  ! a club with a saudi owner and vice chairman who wanted two british women whipped and beheaded for there crimes.

Not having a go at you ( i support and will continue to support NUFC) just pointing out that it runs through most big sports and not just because its in Qatar. I dont see any protests outside bramall lane.

That comment was more tongue jn cheek! I'll definitely not stan for football, as I said it is deeply awash with dodgy money and yes the Blades are no exception. There aren't protests outside Bramall Lane; maybe there should be. I dunno if I'd say I find either it or F1 more objectionable although F1 is probably inherently more egregiously so as it has a truly diabolical environmental impact and has no real grassroots elements to connect to (unlike football where local communities can and do hugely benefit).

gme

• forum hero
#40 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 01:58:41 pm
All major sporting events are linked to ethically tainted owners, sponsors or bodies. Cant think of many, if any, that are not. Boxing, Football, Olympics, F1, Golf, cycling. If its not politically uncomfortable its environmentally. Climbing is also part of it, look how many comps are in China or Russia.

But to make these things so great and why everyone loves them costs a crazy amount of money so who's going to pay. If you do them on a budget they get torn apart by us as being shit, poor camera angles, bad editing, rubbish facilities, long queues etc.

I think the reaction people are making about it being in Qatar is hypocritical if your prepared to turn a blind eye to everything else, which most appear to be doing. I personally think its a joke it is being staged in Qatar on environmental issues alone, never mind the human rights issues, and it should have never have been awarded, but will happily enjoy the games as i suspect most will if England go a long way, and all will be forgiven if we win when it will forever be know in England as the greatest world cup since 1966.

Brush and Carpet

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#41 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 02:45:10 pm
My kid's school spent the entire afternoon watching the game, they had the choice apparently of do arts and crafts or watch the game. I'm a bit livid.

Ditto. Hopefully England get knocked out ASAP. I couldn't give less of a fuck.

gme

• forum hero
#42 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 02:46:37 pm

That comment was more tongue jn cheek! I'll definitely not stan for football, as I said it is deeply awash with dodgy money and yes the Blades are no exception. There aren't protests outside Bramall Lane; maybe there should be. I dunno if I'd say I find either it or F1 more objectionable although F1 is probably inherently more egregiously so as it has a truly diabolical environmental impact and has no real grassroots elements to connect to (unlike football where local communities can and do hugely benefit).

I don't think F1 is anywhere near as bad as football but its down to the number of people who travel to games. Think the premiership alone has 14 million people travelling to games each season i guess using more fuel and tyres than they do at Silverstone, so world wide it will be a very high number.

Flights to European matches from UK usually have 4-6k per away match x 6 teams x 4-8 matches. 200k from UK maybe which is about the attendance of an F1 event. Sure you can find the figures but my guess is Football has a much bigger environmental impact than F1.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#43 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 02:47:16 pm
we are only gonna get there by actually taking action.

What action should we be taking exactly?  And do you think it will make a difference?

gme

• forum hero
#44 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 03:45:15 pm

You don't but a hell of a lot of people do, so your in a minority. If it has a positive effect on many peoples lives we should support it even if we are not interested. It brings a lot of joy to a lot of people where as i suspect it being on doesn't affect your life at all.

If we want to make a point Surely its better to stay in to the end and then make a big statement on the human rights thing once people are listening. The longer your in the more eyes on you.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#45 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 03:55:42 pm

You don't but a hell of a lot of people do, so your in a minority. If it has a positive effect on many peoples lives we should support it even if we are not interested. It brings a lot of joy to a lot of people where as i suspect it being on doesn't affect your life at all.

If we want to make a point Surely its better to stay in to the end and then make a big statement on the human rights thing once people are listening. The longer your in the more eyes on you.

I'm pretty much with you on this gme. I agree with all the criticism and that Qatar is an awful choice to be the host, on many levels. However I'll be watching the England games and am looking forward to the football side of it.

Personally I don't know that Qatar has all that much to gain - their human rights issues are under global scrutiny like never before, they have spent a vast sum of money (£100bn+) on largely useless infrastructure that won't have a function after the tournament, and they only really benefit if they increase tourism afterwards as a result. I doubt lots of people from western countries will now be keen to go to Qatar - many will be more put off than they would have been before.

I am viewing this as watching a football tournament which is being held at Qatar's expense, and more fool them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#46 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 04:10:54 pm
I do wonder what Qatar had hoped to benefit? Increased tourism? No longer being the pariah state of the Middle East?

Durbs

• forum hero
#47 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 04:15:14 pm
I do wonder what Qatar had hoped to benefit? Increased tourism? No longer being the pariah state of the Middle East?

This - I keep wondering why they even wanted it?

If this was a PR exercise it's gone horribly wrong

gme

• forum hero
#48 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 04:21:22 pm

Personally I don't know that Qatar has all that much to gain - their human rights issues are under global scrutiny like never before, they have spent a vast sum of money (£100bn+) on largely useless infrastructure that won't have a function after the tournament, and they only really benefit if they increase tourism afterwards as a result. I doubt lots of people from western countries will now be keen to go to Qatar - many will be more put off than they would have been before.

I agree. I don't really know what they are trying to gain. Historically the middle east used to be pretty private places allowing them to operate without to many eyes looking in but now as they are opening up to the west they are getting heavily scrutinised but for what gain. I may turn out that this event starts the movement for them to be a bit more liberal if they want the west to accept them. not convinced though.

Re the tourist thing i think loads already go to Qatar on holiday as they do Dubai, Saudi and abu dhabi all places with similar human rights issues. Dubai is ranked near the top in world holiday destinations and i suspect Qatar will move up the list after the WC.

Give people nice weather, proper 5* luxury, cheap drinks (you can buy alcohol in Qatar in the hotels) and a level of service you cant get in Europe unless you spend a fortune, and they will ignore the fact there is a public beheading happening round the corner.

Ged

• junky
#49 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 22, 2022, 04:48:15 pm

Out of curiosity, why do you hope that? Assuming it's not to do with human rights or any other Qatar based issues, as how long England stay in the tournament won't make the slightest bit of difference. Is it just because you don't like football? Surely just ignoring it is the way to go?

Are we allowed to talk about football on this thread, or is it only rants about middle East nations with shoddy equality, and rants about how rubbish football is in general?

Personally, I'm going to be enjoying watching the football. I think that any publicity that Qatar get from this is only going to encourage a more Liberal change. But maybe I'm just saying that because I like football. I see the reasons for upset, and I absolutely agree that it shouldn't have been given to Qatar, butvthe host nation is very rarely the lasting memory from these tournaments. Its the football that is remembered.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal