UKBouldering.com

Qatar World Cup (Read 19993 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#200 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 15, 2022, 01:23:11 pm
I've seen it many times, but still impressed by how ridiculously quick he is.

Hopefully a belter of a final.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#201 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 18, 2022, 08:22:41 pm
Well that didn't disappoint. What a game.

I was also thinking again about the sport washing aspect and the legacy of this tournament. I still don't think Qatar have gained much other than the world's attention on their human rights abuses and a lot of money wasted on unnecessary stadia. Are there good examples where sport washing has 'worked'? It's not like the 2018 world cup in Russia has improved their international reputation is it?

gme

• forum hero
#202 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 19, 2022, 02:51:27 pm
Well that was incredible. One of the best games i have ever seen and in terms of entertainment i cant think of one better.

I often think finals of knock out events can end up being disappointing and don't live up to expectation but this one delivered in spades to the point where if you had written it it would have been told to reign it in a bit.

Thought France were terrible for most of the game and was starting to loose interest in it with 15 to go as it seemed a forgone conclusion but how that changed.

Unfortunately for the opponents of it being in Qatar (i include myself among them) that was the best world cup i have ever watched and i suspect FIFA will already be taking to other similar countries. If i was someone who believed in conspiracy theories this one would be at the top of them. Messi winning with Argentina becoming the GOAT, playing against France with Mbappe getting a hattrick, 1st and 2nd in golden boot, both players employed by a club that Qatar owns. Must be a fix.

Sports washing at its finest.

One thing that really did piss me off though is presidents/prime ministers or celebrities/ex players going on the pitch at the end, that can fuck right off. Imagine having just lost the final and having Sunak/Macron/ insert any politician you wish, coming up to hug and console you. I think i would deck them.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#203 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 19, 2022, 03:10:14 pm
Unfortunately for the opponents of it being in Qatar (i include myself among them) that was the best world cup i have ever watched and i suspect FIFA will already be taking to other similar countries.

Would the football not have been as good elsewhere though? All other considerations aside, I'd have said the football was highly entertaining, regardless of the fact it was held in Qatar.

One thing that really did piss me off though is presidents/prime ministers or celebrities/ex players going on the pitch at the end, that can fuck right off. Imagine having just lost the final and having Sunak/Macron/ insert any politician you wish, coming up to hug and console you. I think i would deck them.

Agreed. I have no idea about Macron and Mbappe's relationship but Mbappe didn't seem overly happy about being talked to like that at the end. Sunak would be the last person I'd want to see in that situation!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#204 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 19, 2022, 07:33:05 pm
I believe Macron was quite influential in persuading Mbappe to stay at PSG instead of going to Madrid. They clearly know each other at least.

I have a foot in both camps here. On one hand I think the world cup is stained, as Keane said on ITV the other day. It always will be. On the other I think the way holding it in the Arab world rather than Australia where it would likely have ended up otherwise, made it much more of a global spectacle with loads more fans from Africa, Arab nations and SAmerica than was normal. It challenged the domination of the West and Europe in football which is its biggest plus point. But...it will be forever stained because of how many died to put it on.

Putting the bisht on Messi was a bit on the nose as well!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#205 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 20, 2022, 07:44:30 am
If i was someone who believed in conspiracy theories this one would be at the top of them. Messi winning with Argentina becoming the GOAT, playing against France with Mbappe getting a hattrick, 1st and 2nd in golden boot, both players employed by a club that Qatar owns. Must be a fix.

Easy to see how people believe conspiracy theories isn't it, especially if it confirms your world view or opinion. I very much doubt any big plots exist, wealthy country, expensive players.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#206 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 20, 2022, 02:06:45 pm
Well that was incredible. One of the best games i have ever seen and in terms of entertainment i cant think of one better.

Gav, nowhere near as gripping as this

And the added bonus for you that we lost!

I was there with my brother, biggest rollercoaster that I have ever been on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal