UKBouldering.com

How many of the old Peak "B" grades still stand up. (Read 1724 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Fondly reminiscing with Reeve the other day about B grades in the old Peak Bouldering Rockfax....

Are there any / many, errr, umm, benchmark problems that have maintained their grade when translated from the B grades (which as far as I can recall were V grades plus one? So B7 would be V6 would be 7A....)

Answers on a postcard or indeed in this thread....

Wellsy

• forum hero
I'm assuming that's different from the old John Gill B grades?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
There's a clue in

which as far as I can recall were V grades plus one?
;) :P

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
https://flic.kr/p/2nZZYdo

EDIT. Sorry, forgotten how to embed pics.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
https://flic.kr/p/2nZZYdo

EDIT. Sorry, forgotten how to embed pics.

Not evident for that one, however

ferret

• forum abuser
Off the top of my head I'd say B10 and above mostly stayed +/- 1 grade. B9 and below there's quite a few that changed 2 grades or more from the comparison chart.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Call me a worthless gym rat if you will but I will never understand why English Tech Grades are used for bouldering. Like 6c goes from top end font 6C to the bottom of font 7C? Eh?

webbo

• forum hero
Call me a worthless gym rat if you will but I will never understand why English Tech Grades are used for bouldering. Like 6c goes from top end font 6C to the bottom of font 7C? Eh?
They aren’t.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Well good! It's just their inclusion on that table under "bouldering grades" just highlights their bizarre nature for that purpose

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
They’re on that table so people who only/ mainly climb trad can get some sort of idea of how the bouldering grades relate I think. That feels pretty outdated though because 99+% of climbers become familiar with bouldering or sport grades first nowadays.

British tech grades are basically useless for grading entire boulder problems because they describe the difficulty of single moves (a route or problem with a single 6b crux move gets 6b, as does one where every move is 6b, this is partly why you’ve got the adjective grade before it for trad routes and why the grades overlap so much in that table) and also because, as you say, the harder the moves get the wider the boundaries between the grades become.

The single-move style does make it easy to give people an idea of what a crux move is like “it’s 7A but really it’s just one British 6b move” or “it gets 6C but really there’s nothing harder than British 5c on it” but again that only really works if you’re describing a boulder problem to your fellow grizzled trad mates.

British tech grades have been used for boulder problems in guides in the past but only in the small period between bouldering first being written up in books and B/ Font/ V grades being adopted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal