UKBouldering.com

Topic split - Bohemian, Saxon and Czechia sandstone bolting (Read 3466 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
You’d have to get a guidebook Duncan but my memory of Labske was it was sportingly bolted but not crazy. This photo of K is on an immaculate 6c+.

We definitely found some stuff to do and since then I've probably grown more accustomed to sportingly bolted stuff in a similar style.

Likewise, we stopped really consulting the bird's-eye view topo in Labske and relied on watching the locals climb things that looked acceptably bolted.

webbo

• forum hero
Could you not have asked the locals to recommend routes for wimpy Brits. They would have to be pretty sociopathic to suggest routes on which you might get hurt.

Paul B

• forum hero
Ha! Perhaps?

This was around 2007 so my memory isn't that great but from recollection, the first bolt was usually the initial hurdle with it being uncomfortably high. I was definitely less accustomed to that style of climbing back then though so there's the definite possibility that I was just totally soft.

Looking at the photo of Katherine, it looks like new bolts between the old school meaty rings. Again, ropey memory time but the stuff with newer kit was less terrifying than stuff purely on the ring type bolts.

If I was going to recommend old school sparsely bolted stuff I'd say Meteora was more enjoyable.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Thanks everyone. I have a highly romantic view of Elbe sandstone climbing, growing up with pictures of carpet-slipper shod nutters running it out above tiny slings. And I really like the Mitteleuropean ambience from the various non-climbing trips I've had to Czech and south eastern Germany. It'd be great to experience it even if I didn't climb anything harder than  Severe.

Bear in mind that when we were in Labske K was not really into it (she did lead some bold stuff mind) and when I was in Ardspach one E9 leader in our team refused Point Blank (hint) to lead anything!
;D

Not that I'd be much different myself.

The picture of K is great and I'd have been well up for it in 1997, not so much now.

If I was going to recommend old school sparsely bolted stuff I'd say Meteora was more enjoyable.

I'd also love to go there.

jamesturnbull97

• addict
Bumping this thread as I am planning to that area shortly on my way through Europe. Sounds pretty nuts and somewhere that needs to be experienced.
Does anyone have any recommendations of the best areas to start to not end up straight on a death route? Also any good places to stay/meet people, I know a couple of people that are from the area but wouldn't be able climb everyday so might need to go in search of some partners.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The easier routes all felt like soloing. Anything under French 6c and with cracks on it was probably done before human life was regarded as valuable

In Teplice there were quite a few routes that were basically safe. In Adrspach there wasn't a lot of safe routes, at least not that I found. Apparently there are some really hard routes there that are safe.

I've heard that Labske is pretty safe but I didn't climb there.

We climbed just a little bit on the German side and it was all pretty freaky.

There's a lot of bouldering apparently.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 02:45:04 pm by jwi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal