UKBouldering.com

Scarpa Instinct S heel (Read 1530 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 10:23:30 am
Hi all

I've worn through my Drago LVs and need a new shoe, same or similar. The one thing I dislike about them is the lack of support on small holds; if a problem generally is suited to them but has a small edge or point they get painful and it's hard to keep tension.

I'm told the Instinct S is very similar to the Drago but with a bit more support, which sounds great. My only question is that I wear Drago LVs cos I have slimmer heels and regular Dragos were a bit too broad, will Instinct Slippers in the same size have wider heels that are a little baggy? Or are they more like the LV? Also even if they are baggier should I just drop a size?

I'd go and try some on but nobody seems to have any in my size (I wear a street 8, Drago LVs in a 7, but could go down to 6.66 or 6.5) and would rather ask before I buy some online and have to arse around returning them if they are wrong.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#1 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 10:47:03 am
The regular Drago is too narrow in the toe box for me but the Instinct range all fit quite well. They seem to be broader in the toe box but have a relatively slim heel. If you're in Drago LV's, I don't think the Instincts would fit you well. Same goes for most Sportiva.

If you like the Drago but just need a bit more support the new Mago might be worth a try, it's allegedly a lot more sensitive than the old model but should still have more support than the Drago. The Boostic is a stiffer model too. Unparallel are generally on the narrower side and seem to have a lot of supportive options.

T_B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 11:29:58 am
Instinct S fit including the heel is very similar to regular Instinct. It has a pointier toe but the heel is like the other Instincts. Put it this way, I can’t get a Chimera or a Boostic on because the heel is too narrow. I don’t imagine the Instinct S will fit you if you’re in a LV Drago.

abarro81

• forum hero
#3 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 12:06:56 pm
I use Drago LV indoors and velcro/slipper Instincts tend not to fit me, though the laces are fine.

I'd recommend the Booster S but they don't make them any more  :wall:

Chimera might work, though they feel more aggressively downturned, but I've snapped a fair few eyelets on them. Not something I've seen others do, but may be an issue if you also have low volume feet...

sdm

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 01:51:48 pm
I haven't snapped any eyelets, but I snapped the laces on my chimeras and instinct laces before the rubber was showing any signs of wear.

I've got high volume feet and didn't think I was doing the laces up tightly unless I am expecting to do a particularly tenuous heel hook, I mainly just do them up to get the laces it of the way.

The build quality in general on the instinct laces is disappointing.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#5 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 02:00:29 pm
Good knowledge all, it leaves me thinking maybe the Mago

The Boostics I have and like, they fit well with the single exception of a somewhat baggy heel. Basically it's just a case of ensuring the heel is tight which is the issue with me in terms of finding a shoe!

Maybe I should just stick with the Drago LVs, they do fit just right, they're just very soft is all

Dolly

• forum hero
#6 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 06:41:32 pm
Regular means occurring at uniform intervals

Dolly

• forum hero
#7 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 06:48:23 pm
I meant to add a  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 19, 2022, 06:49:03 pm
Regular means occurring at uniform intervals

Standard response 😁

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Scarpa Instinct S heel
October 24, 2022, 09:49:20 am
Just order a dozen pairs from Bananafingers and return most of them. What i have to do, all local shops are shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal