technical > photography

Compact camera recs

<< < (4/4)

YorkshireTea:
I've been using a Lumix lx-15 for the past couple years but the lens has been making progressively worse cracking noises when extending and retracting and now won't zoom past 40mm. I also had it replaced under warranty due to a lens issue in the first 6 months, although I do what I can to keep it clean I think retractable lens and outdoor environments don't mix well.

Even before the current issues I found myself wanting a larger range more regularly and willing to take a slightly larger camera (but not back to DSLR) as it has become more of my business. Any mirrorless recommendations?

galpinos:

--- Quote from: cheque on October 19, 2022, 05:13:00 pm --- and partly inspired by this book I “invested” in a smaller version of my camera and swore that in 2022 I’d take it out every single time I went climbing.

--- End quote ---

Intersting Cheque. So....

* What was it about the book that made you change approach (worth getting the book?)
* What camera did you get?P.S. I've got that image you took of me on Daydreamer on the wall, not sure the phone version would be there!

lagerstarfish:

--- Quote from: shark on October 18, 2022, 05:14:21 pm ---I just use my iPhone for pics and vids but get fed up with the battery running out particularly in cold weather.

Just been looking at my partners SonyWX220 and impressed with zoom, image quality, size and the fact he got it off eBay for £30.

Unfortunately none at that price currently. Are there any similar models I should be looking out for?

--- End quote ---

I've had a couple (3?) of Canon sx220 hs cameras. Decent zoom, optical stabilization and video quality.
Easily available second hand.
Cheap enough so that I don't mind when I drop it, scratch the lens or get dust inside it.
One downside is that I can't power it directly off a USB battery charger/pack for longer filming.
Another is that the batteries drain quickly when using below 0⁰C. Obviously the batteries are all pretty old now.

cheque:

--- Quote from: galpinos on October 20, 2022, 08:36:17 am ---Intersting Cheque. So....

* What was it about the book that made you change approach (worth getting the book?)
* What camera did you get?
--- End quote ---

1. He talks about how he has a fancy camera he uses for most stuff (the book’s from 2000 so it’s a Nikon film SLR) but also a plastic-bodied cheaper version he uses with a kit lens “this Nikon looks so chintzy that I seem to purposely abuse it”  ;D when he needs to save weight.

There are photos of him hanging on belays with his camera in a kind of bumbag and shots he’s got of neighbouring teams on big walls and I just had a lightbulb moment reading it.

2. My main camera is a Panasonic S1. A big camera by anybody’s reckoning… my streamlined camera is an S5 which has the same sensor and mount but is much smaller and lighter.

I got the 24-105 f4 to go with it and I keep the two permanently in a toploader-type bag that fits like a glove. That goes in my climbing rucksack now matter what. It’s still a fairly big combo though (I took it to the States this summer and my mate referred to it as “your huge camera” the whole time) and I’m going to get the 20-60mm kit lens and a smaller bag next week with a view to going full Jeff Achey with it.

--- Quote from: galpinos on October 20, 2022, 08:36:17 am ---I've got that image you took of me on Daydreamer on the wall

--- End quote ---

:hug:

SA Chris:

--- Quote from: Johnny Brown on October 19, 2022, 12:02:55 pm ---I've never taken one on a multi pitch for fear of dropping it.

--- End quote ---

I got a Punkcasetm for mine and it took ages to arrive but it's great, waterproof, has coped with drops from about 12 ft (can allegedly deal with higher, but not tested) and with a bit of poking and prodding I replaced the crappy bit of string that goes through the corner of the case with a bit of old 2mm Dyneema to clip into or cinch round wrist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version