UKBouldering.com

UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches (Read 4468 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
#25 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 08:26:40 pm
I think you are right Ed. It probably is too soft underfoot at Earl in winter for crutches. Shame, the problems at the pinnacle end are brilliant.

Bradders

• forum hero
#26 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 08:27:46 pm
Yorkshire
- Almscliff
- Brimham
- Ilkley Cow & Calf area
- Earl Crag (parking at the top opposite the Buckstone - I think it'd be fine on crutches)
- Eavestone (although I think to get up to the buttress with Sky Diamond it's quite steep for the last 15metres)
- Widdop
- Woodhouse Scar
- Mytholm Steeps
- Caley main crag (roadside is a but steep, muddy and slippery so despite being very short may not fit the bill)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#27 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 08:36:24 pm
Would Newstones work? Buckstones Edge and Longridge are both super short (but not pan flat). Buckstones is right by an A road but faces away so feels quieter. Near Newbiggin is Great Stones of Fourstones, small but fun and v short walk.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#28 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 08:45:20 pm
Earl would be fine with crutches. Might be fucking freezing if not climbing though, it's sometimes cold enough when you are!

edshakey

• forum abuser
#29 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 09:22:08 pm
Shame, the problems at the pinnacle end are brilliant.
Agreed, not been much but will be aiming to get back soon.
Might be fucking freezing if not climbing though, it's sometimes cold enough when you are!
That's my main memory of the crag - beautiful views on a clear sunny winters day, but so horrendously cold that I couldn't feel a thing! Not sure i'd want to be there just sitting and watching

Bradders

• forum hero
#30 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 09:43:25 pm
I've really never understood the whole "Earl is always freezing" rep. It's no more so than anywhere else that gets less sun in winter, and very often the predominant westerlies can be blowing right over the top meaning below the edge it's nice and sheltered. I've had some absolutely magic days there in really cold conditions.

andy_e

• forum hero
#31 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 09:47:23 pm
Plus it's dry when it rains...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#32 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 09:59:44 pm
I'm intrigued by some of these suggestions - how doable is soft ground in crutches? Do you need wide bases on the crutches like snow shoes?  :-\

Depends if you’re weight-bearing on your bad leg or not.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#33 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 10:20:45 pm
I've really never understood the whole "Earl is always freezing" rep. It's no more so than anywhere else that gets less sun in winter, and very often the predominant westerlies can be blowing right over the top meaning below the edge it's nice and sheltered. I've had some absolutely magic days there in really cold conditions.

So have I tbf but absolutely critical to get the wind right!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 05, 2022, 10:27:46 pm
Bowden/Back Bowden?

Back Bowden is always longer than you remember, and can be soft slippery mud, both kids went over if that's any yardstick (although one falls over her own feet a lot). Main part of Bowden has a fairly long approach with dry stone wall walls and stiles. Can't remember far end, recall it's a bit bouldery. Raven's by Bowden? Once bracken has died off. Not much out the 6es though. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 01:43:01 pm
Earl would be fine with crutches.

Disagree with this (as someone who has spent a considerable amount of time on crutches). I'm sure it's possible but I wouldn't say it's a good choice.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#36 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 02:09:49 pm
Sorry to seem contrarian but I think some of the Yorkshire suggestions have missed this:

even places with a short walk-in are terrible if there are any jumbly rocky bits, scree, rough terrain, or a muddy slope between the car and the rock

Earl: Getting to the top of the crag is fine but there's a squeeze to get down to the boulders isn't there? And you might only be able to access the top tier of boulders, albeit there are good problems there. Same might apply to Woodhouse but can't remember.

Eavestone: Getting to the Sky Diamond buttress is difficult without crutches... Is there any other bouldering that would be recommended to visitors to travel for that meets the criteria? Probably not.

Almscliff: Approach is really slippy for a lot of the winter. There's also the one stile to climb over from the road and a squeeze stile at the top. Not sure how manageable these are with Ms Droyd's mobility.

Caley Main: you might struggle to get off the path to the boulders?

Brimham is a good suggestion. Flattest approach to things would be to go to Castle Rock then down to Cleft Buttress, exploring the edge north and south as much as you're able from there.

Ilkley Calf is in vogue and works perfectly.

Widdop is a good shout. It might be pushing the length of walk-in but it's a flat track and the boulders are all neatly arranged on a smooth grassy slope. I think I've had a pram there.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#37 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 02:20:27 pm
Peak, in vague order of decreasing accessibility but ascending aesthetically:
Sean's roof
Raven's tor
Rheinstor
Rubicon
Burbage North
Curbar Trackside
Stanage App North
Windgather
Froggatt Top (long but flat, I've taken a pram)
Roaches Lower tier (uphill but again pram access)
Not convinced by Widdop or Wimberry if you want to actually get to the boulders rather than just sit by the reservoir.

andy_e

• forum hero
#38 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 02:46:05 pm
roadside stuff in the Scottish mountains

Torridon is good, except for one steep step up a terrace. Ardmair Beach might work but I've no idea how crutches perform on flat pebbles. Ruthven is a sustained pitch, not so steep, quite short, but on good path. Farr might be suitable but gets a bit rooty on the final section. The pathside stuff at Duntelchaig is about 10 mins on a good track. Cummingston could work, although the final bank down to the beach is steep. Dumby would probably be OK.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#39 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 03:08:09 pm
You can get down the steep part of the approach to East part of Cummingston using the slide in the playground. Not great getting back up though.

T_B

• forum hero
#40 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 03:12:09 pm
Bowden/Back Bowden?

Back Bowden is always longer than you remember, and can be soft slippery mud, both kids went over if that's any yardstick (although one falls over her own feet a lot). 

I’ve hopped out of Back Bowden without crutches ;). It’s fine!

Better than the Gouther suggestion which is bad enough on two feet (wet, spread out, steep, moss covered and rocky in places). 90% of Carrock would be a nightmare as well. Steep, slippery talus with crutches  :-\

Has anyone mentioned Anston? Not everyone’s cup of tea, but we used to go a lot back in pram pushing days and it’s pleasant enough to hang out.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#41 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 03:33:27 pm
I'm scratching my head for Scottish options! Wolfcrag Quarry near Stirling has a pavement that goes right into the quarry itself, and options of lowball traverses. It is a quarry though...

Having never been a shouldn't comment but... Hmmn....

I've been and feel qulified to say... Hmmmm

SA Chris

• forum hero
#42 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 03:37:56 pm

His Eminence? richieb did the same!

andy_e

• forum hero
#43 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 03:40:29 pm
Sorry Fiend I totally missed that you'd made the same suggestions on the previous page.

re. Wolfcrag, I love it, but I wouldn't travel from anywhere further than about Bridge of Allan to climb there. On a similar tip, what's the access to Cambusbarron like? Spank the Monkey/Monkey Spanking supposed to be classics. And who doesn't like hanging around in a quarry?!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#44 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 03:53:13 pm
[quote author=andy_e link=topic=33270.msg667252#msg667252 date=16

Torridon is good, except for one steep step up a terrace. Ardmair Beach might work but I've no idea how crutches perform on flat pebbles. Ruthven is a sustained pitch, not so steep, quite short, but on good path. Farr might be suitable but gets a bit rooty on the final section. The pathside stuff at Duntelchaig is about 10 mins on a good track. Cummingston could work, although the final bank down to the beach is steep. Dumby would probably be OK.
[/quote]

The muddy bank at Torridon can be avoided by traversing rightwards from the base of the muddy trench which is level but boggy and brings you out by Celtic Knot area.
Ardmair Beach has a short but steep eroded bank to access the pebble beach  and not sure I'd fancy the pebbles and seaweed on crutches.
Ruthven might be a bit of a stretch.
You're right about the Jamie/Farr Boulder though unless it's been engulfed by the new plantation by now.
I think generally people are underestiming/forgetting what a pita getting around on crutches can be.

Bradders

• forum hero
#45 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 03:57:15 pm
Trowbarrow would be perfect. Loads to work your way through and a generally pleasant spot.

andy_e

• forum hero
#46 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 03:58:51 pm
You're right about the Jamie/Farr Boulder though unless it's been engulfed by the new plantation by now.
yes it has...

I think generally people are underestiming/forgetting what a pita getting around on crutches can be.
sorry, i have no idea how dififcult it is! trying to think of the best options. maybe the shelterstone boulders would be one to avoid for sure.

T_B

• forum hero
#47 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 04:03:27 pm

His Eminence? richieb did the same!

No. County Ethics.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#48 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 04:04:12 pm
You might get there but you wouldn't be getting back!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#49 Re: UK 7A-7C with short, easy approaches
October 06, 2022, 04:07:21 pm
[maybe the shelterstone boulders would be one to avoid for sure.
[/quote]

You might get there but you wouldn't be getting back!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal