UKBouldering.com

Flaws in existing outdoor products/Products you wish existed (Read 4603 times)

edshakey

• forum abuser
They're definitely rubber and definitely cheaty in the sense that they're by far the best crack glove I've ever used. The only one on the market I haven't tried so far is the wideboyz and G7 ones because they've been so hard to get hold of but I've tried all the rest and the BD gloves easily piss all over them. Very good sensitivity, very thin, no friction blisters, no noticeable slippage... The thumb coverage is also totally ace which really helps in baggy ringlocks.

Well now I'm torn... might just lean into the cheaty-ness and get them! Maybe i'll be able to just keep living in denial and pretend the atypical rubber colour automatically makes them ethically superior

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Products I wish still existed:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I bought a pair of new design Guides recently, and even though I was told to go up a half size more than usual, they are still visibly smaller than my old pair.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
A pair of approach shoes that is good for scrambling around on rocks, reasonably lightweight (not like a clumpy walking trainer/mini-walking boot thing), AND waterproof. Must have strong heel loops for clipping to back of harness.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
They're definitely rubber and definitely cheaty in the sense that they're by far the best crack glove I've ever used. The only one on the market I haven't tried so far is the wideboyz and G7 ones because they've been so hard to get hold of but I've tried all the rest and the BD gloves easily piss all over them. Very good sensitivity, very thin, no friction blisters, no noticeable slippage... The thumb coverage is also totally ace which really helps in baggy ringlocks.

I also like them a lot. BD's first rock climbing product for about 20 years that is markedly better than the competition. They were a tight fit using the palm girth/palm length measure per the size guide, chunky finger joints don't help, but do stretch a tiny bit.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

I also like them a lot. BD's first rock climbing product for about 20 years that is markedly better than the competition. They were a tight fit using the palm girth/palm length measure per the size guide, chunky finger joints don't help, but do stretch a tiny bit.

I tried all sizes of BD on in the shop and they all felt more restrictive than the G7 - maybe fat fingers doesn't help?  My mate James had the BDs, and found the velcro regularly came loose when doing thin hands as it faces the wrong way.

Downsides to the G7 are that they take a bit of bedding in to get the finger loops to soften up, and the thumb loop can get baggy with age and have a slight chance of hooking carabiners if you clip with your thumb in the "grab crab" stle, rather than the "place index finger" style (if you know what I mean...).  Also, no thumb pro at the knuckle for fists, but even after a solid 30m pitch on sunshine, it was my shins (long story) that were suffering, not my fists (to be fair I found most of it easier at cupped hands than proper fists, but that's my big hands!.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
a slight chance of hooking carabiners

I’ve done this. Not with BD gloves, with Ocun ones. I think it was more a freak accident than a flaw in the design though. I don’t recommend it.

I feel like a right punter wearing jamming gloves, they make most sizes feel harder to me, I feel like they encourage me to thrash my hands around in the crack in a way I never do without and they also seem to sometimes create a weird pump that I’ve never had without them, like the strap on the wrists has trapped the blood in my hands or something  :sick: .

They’re brilliant for wide fist jams though so I still take them out just in case  :lol: .

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I tried all sizes of BD on in the shop and they all felt more restrictive than the G7 - maybe fat fingers doesn't help?  My mate James had the BDs, and found the velcro regularly came loose when doing thin hands as it faces the wrong way.

Downsides to the G7 are that they take a bit of bedding in to get the finger loops to soften up, and the thumb loop can get baggy with age and have a slight chance of hooking carabiners if you clip with your thumb in the "grab crab" stle, rather than the "place index finger" style (if you know what I mean...).  Also, no thumb pro at the knuckle for fists, but even after a solid 30m pitch on sunshine, it was my shins (long story) that were suffering, not my fists (to be fair I found most of it easier at cupped hands than proper fists, but that's my big hands!.

I've not tried the G7s as they are mail order only here and at $80 + $45 postage + import duty I'd want them to fit like a Saville Row suit and take at least a grade off jamming cracks!

I thought the BD thumb protector was a game-changer; the wrist closure looks fragile but has held up so far. The finger loops were tight at the start for me but have given a bit. Like shoes, try before you buy if you can.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Yeah, I was lucky to be able to try both on in Squamish. No way I would have bought them online here without trying on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal