UKBouldering.com

St Leger in late Nov? (Read 1491 times)

Duma

• forum hero
St Leger in late Nov?
September 21, 2022, 02:06:00 pm
How's the weather likely to be?
Looking at going for two weeks late Nov to early Dec - it looks amazing (I have been for a day 20 years ago, but barely remember anything TBH) and some mates will likely be out there anyway, but given it will be a quickish hit I really don't want to be watching the rain. Not freezing my arse off would be nice too. The lack of ticks on UKC in Nov/Dec is making me nervous...

haydn jones

• forum hero
#1 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 21, 2022, 02:34:22 pm
I was there for a month in march and I had to shelter from the sun in the big cave as it was too hot. It looks like the average temp in November is a touch less so might start getting a bit cold if out of the sun. Luckily 80% of the crag is in the sun all day. If it's cloudy/rainy could be a bit cold.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#2 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 21, 2022, 02:40:12 pm
I've been before in March and it was way too hot in the sun. If I went again I would go in the winter and take a punt. I reckon you'll be fine. Its really good and as Haydn says most of it gets a lot of sun.

abarro81

• forum hero
#3 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 21, 2022, 02:41:36 pm
From my experience of Europe in late autumn it could be anything from hot and dry to freezing and wet. Hope that helps  :lol:
Not sure if the sun stays below Mt Ventoux at all when days are shorter? That may impact hotness/coldness...

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 21, 2022, 03:32:25 pm
Not sure if the sun stays below Mt Ventoux at all when days are shorter? That may impact hotness/coldness...

Yeah, that could be a worry - end of Nov is a lot closer to the solstice than March...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#5 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 21, 2022, 03:38:20 pm
Anytime between November and February is a good time to go there imho.

Duma

• forum hero
#6 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 21, 2022, 03:50:19 pm
but what's the weather like?...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#7 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 21, 2022, 04:08:01 pm
Between 5 and 20 degrees during day, between -5 and 10 during night. It might rain a few days per week or not. Climbing on south facing, east facing, west-facing or north facing sectors depending on the temps and if it is overcast or not ....

I think November is the wettest month of the year in Provence, but Provence is pretty dry.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#8 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 22, 2022, 06:58:24 am
FWIW I went in January.

There were about 5-6 hours of sun above Ventoux and you really needed it, some days the frost in the shade didn't melt. The crag was very quiet, a few things were wet but it was lovely.

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 22, 2022, 08:24:04 am
Nice one, cheers all

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#10 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 22, 2022, 09:42:10 am
How's the weather likely to be?
Looking at going for two weeks late Nov to early Dec - it looks amazing (I have been for a day 20 years ago, but barely remember anything TBH) and some mates will likely be out there anyway, but given it will be a quickish hit I really don't want to be watching the rain. Not freezing my arse off would be nice too. The lack of ticks on UKC in Nov/Dec is making me nervous...

I spent a January and February there, it was very cold but the conditions were very good at the crag. It was often completely frozen in the valley with considerable amounts of snow on the Ventoux, but t shirt weather at the crag in the sun. Some parts of it were soaked a lot of the time,  but you could always find dry sectors and climb in decent conditions.  If St leger is too cold some days,  hundreds of other crags are close enough to get to for a day.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#11 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 22, 2022, 10:41:31 am
Yeah, Mollans is higher up in the valley, just some 10 km from St Leger and pure south facing in my memory. Topo on greenspits

Otherwise there are crags in Malaucène as well. My memory of those crags is very vague unfortunately.

I cannot imagine that the nearby Dentelles of Montmirail are ever seeping or too cold. Not that I particularly like the climbing there

andy moles

• forum abuser
#12 Re: St Leger in late Nov?
September 22, 2022, 11:05:41 am
I cannot imagine that the nearby Dentelles of Montmirail are ever seeping or too cold. Not that I particularly like the climbing there

Quite nice for a walk and scramble around on a rest day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal