UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 430994 times)

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#1375 Re: How to build a woodie
May 26, 2021, 05:20:38 pm
Imagine being so tuned out of your surroundings that you just carry on walking idly by... staggering

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1376 Re: How to build a woodie
May 26, 2021, 05:31:32 pm
For all of you lot that like chopping holes in your roof joists etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-dorset-57253965

:o

Keatonesque

(Andy Popp appears to have been building a board in his attic)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#1377 Re: How to build a woodie
September 28, 2021, 08:37:14 am
Hello.

Does anyone have any advice on hardwood Vs softwood ply for a home wall. Ideally I would use 18mm birch ply, but this costs around €600 for the amount I need I my area. Alternatively I could use softwood ply which would cost around €380.

Any advice on longevity, sturdiness, voids, flex much appreciated.

Here are the exact boards I am considering. Sorry it is in German:

Birch: https://www.hornbach.at/shop/Multiplexplatte-Birke-18x1250x2500-mm/5084835/artikel.html

Maritime Pine: https://www.hornbach.at/shop/Sperrholz-Seekiefer-II-III-2500x1250x18-mm-Zuschnitt-online-reservierbar/5194467/artikel.html

Advice on other options also appreciated. Thanks!

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#1378 Re: How to build a woodie
September 28, 2021, 10:25:27 am
Hello.

Does anyone have any advice on hardwood Vs softwood ply for a home wall. Ideally I would use 18mm birch ply, but this costs around €600 for the amount I need I my area. Alternatively I could use softwood ply which would cost around €380.

Birch: https://www.hornbach.at/shop/Multiplexplatte-Birke-18x1250x2500-mm/5084835/artikel.html

Maritime Pine: https://www.hornbach.at/shop/Sperrholz-Seekiefer-II-III-2500x1250x18-mm-Zuschnitt-online-reservierbar/5194467/artikel.html

My board is built from the exact softwood ply you're looking at, also bought from Hornbach. It's excellent and no flex with the 18mm. Passt scho'  :2thumbsup:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1379 Re: How to build a woodie
September 28, 2021, 10:30:15 am
Hello.

I used pine structural ply - had not much choice in lockdown. It's a bit shit for screwons. Needs painted, but flex is fine.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#1380 Re: How to build a woodie
September 28, 2021, 12:25:59 pm
Hello.

My board is built from the exact softwood ply you're looking at, also bought from Hornbach. It's excellent and no flex with the 18mm. Passt scho'  :2thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies. Have you had any problems with screw ons Mischa?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1381 Re: How to build a woodie
September 28, 2021, 12:33:37 pm
When I say " a bit shit" I've had a few screws rips threads, but most have been fine especially with longer screws.

Helge

#1382 Re: How to build a woodie
September 28, 2021, 04:35:55 pm
I've had the same thing happen in 15mm hardwood ply. I'm attributing it to the screws being too short in length and too small in diameter. Go with 5mm diameter screws (or at least 4.5) and you'll be fine. I had to order 5mm full thread spax, because the hardware store only had partial thread ones in the lengths above 4cm.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1383 Re: How to build a woodie
September 29, 2021, 04:25:28 pm
The biggest thing that's going to influence 'flex' (deflection) in this instance is going to be the C/C of the supporting members. The difference in stiffness between 18mm thk. ply X or Y will be fairly minimal.

For screws I use Screwfix's Turbo gold without issue (posi). I don't see the need for ktx or torx for the home user (plus stabbing yourself with a ktx bit seems to do some serious damage in my experience).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1384 Re: How to build a woodie
September 29, 2021, 05:43:18 pm
The biggest thing that's going to influence 'flex' (deflection) in this instance is going to be the C/C of the supporting members. The difference in stiffness between 18mm thk. ply X or Y will be fairly minimal.

For screws I use Screwfix's Turbo gold without issue (posi). I don't see the need for ktx or torx for the home user (plus stabbing yourself with a ktx bit seems to do some serious damage in my experience).

Due to a fuck up, our first set on the wall, got fixed with Pozi’s instead of the (much more expensive) Torx I had neatly lined up, ready to go.

We never switched back and have never had an issue.

Used the Torx for wall expansion later. Using Torx for structural work and Pozi for setting, helps (helps, there are some idiots out there) to ensure structural screws don’t get taken out during setting.

Can confirm, using an impact driver, it’s entirely possible to set a 5 or even 6 mm screw spinning in hardwood ply; always assuming the head doesn’t come off first.

On that point: Reisser Cutters from Toolstation, are my choice. Shankless, or you’ll have trouble getting them out again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 05:49:10 pm by Oldmanmatt »

Paul B

• forum hero
#1385 Re: How to build a woodie
September 29, 2021, 06:31:31 pm
I also have those as my pinning screws of choice although the lift off lid has left this idiot looking a bit foolish once or twice before!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1386 Re: How to build a woodie
September 29, 2021, 08:35:06 pm
I also have those as my pinning screws of choice although the lift off lid has left this idiot looking a bit foolish once or twice before!

Ah, yeah.

Try picking 500 up from the carpet on the mats.

Tool belt for me, these days.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#1387 Re: How to build a woodie
September 29, 2021, 08:52:19 pm
Thanks for all the replies. Very useful.

One more thing. Anything I should consider regarding painting the boards? I read somewhere that you should paint both sides to prevent warping, but dont think I have ever seen this on any other painted walls. Advice on best type of paint also welcome!

Thanks

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1388 Re: How to build a woodie
September 29, 2021, 09:08:16 pm
Do you want to paint or think you need to paint? Might not have to which will save you some faff!

remus

• forum hero
#1389 Re: How to build a woodie
September 29, 2021, 09:10:41 pm
Thanks for all the replies. Very useful.

One more thing. Anything I should consider regarding painting the boards? I read somewhere that you should paint both sides to prevent warping, but dont think I have ever seen this on any other painted walls. Advice on best type of paint also welcome!

Thanks

Unless it's for weather proofing or something like that there's no point imo. I've never known a problem with warping on unpainted boards, I assume if you have a sensible number of supporting members that'll be more than enough.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1390 Re: How to build a woodie
October 01, 2021, 05:20:51 pm
My garage board is pretty dry but I'm still getting the odd mold spore developing on the surface of the plywood (and some of the wooden holds). I used Ronseal Exterior Crystal Clear (matte?) varnish but probably should've done several coats.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#1391 Re: How to build a woodie
October 01, 2021, 09:53:42 pm
Hello.

Thanks for the replies. Have you had any problems with screw ons Mischa?

I only use screw ons (no t-nuts) and it's fine 👍

Paul B

• forum hero
#1392 Re: How to build a woodie
December 27, 2021, 03:09:00 pm
For those of you with condensation problems, I was wondering whether I need to try and find a way of heating the space (very high roof double garage) or whether an air mover is a better bet? The roof isn't insulated and two of the walls are actually retaining earth. However, generally it's a very dry space. Prior to building none of the walls or the slab had any signs of ingress or dampness.

I'm finding the top of the board seems very prone to condensation when the humidity is high (like right now) and it's getting a bit annoying to have to treat a board like a conditions dependant crag!

Bradders

• forum hero
#1393 Re: How to build a woodie
December 27, 2021, 03:52:05 pm
In my experience heating is MUCH more effective than air movement (presumably you're thinking of a fan here) for condensation.

I totally share your frustration around conditions, although since I started using a little space heater it's been easily managed; just stick it on before a session and half an hour later you're good to go. My next step is going to be getting a proper electric supply out to my shed so I can put in a greenhouse heater, which will hopefully keep it dry all the time.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1394 Re: How to build a woodie
December 27, 2021, 04:36:17 pm
Rather than a fan I was thinking of a Vacmaster air mover as I've got other uses for it (sticking it in front of the turbo trainer). It's what they use for drying out flooded houses (we've had cause to use them like this previously).

It's a big space so I wasn't sure if a space heater would actually do much (although we need something just to make it a bit more comfortable when it's totally freezing outside anyway).

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#1395 Re: How to build a woodie
December 28, 2021, 08:58:35 am
For those of you with condensation problems, I was wondering whether I need to try and find a way of heating the space (very high roof double garage) or whether an air mover is a better bet? The roof isn't insulated and two of the walls are actually retaining earth. However, generally it's a very dry space. Prior to building none of the walls or the slab had any signs of ingress or dampness.

I'm finding the top of the board seems very prone to condensation when the humidity is high (like right now) and it's getting a bit annoying to have to treat a board like a conditions dependant crag!

Have you thought about throwing a few slabs of insulation up? Can often pick up old stuff free/cheap and would make a vast difference. But yes as mentioned previously heat is the solution IMO.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#1396 Re: How to build a woodie
December 28, 2021, 09:11:40 am
Well after having my board up for a while now I've done some improvements - mainly moving all the big holds over to the 30 degree side, installing a load of crack volumes I'd knocked together from offcuts and resetting the 45 to be 'symmetrical' (the holds aren't actually all symmetrical but are close enough).

I realised after a couple of months using it that each board was a bit unspecific i.e. the 30 had too many small holds considering it was meant for endurance and the 45 had too many big holds and there were generally a lot of holds at weird angles which made it feel quite tweaky. With this in mind I went ahead and reset it purely for 3-5 move max effort boulders with a lot more thought going into hold angle, placement and distancing. I'm yet to have the first proper session because I'm rehabbing a TFCC injury but it's looking far better and the 30 is now graced with enough jugs to do aerocap without feet on the floor.

Very pleased with how it's turned out so far, will see how it actually climbs but looks are vastly improved!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1397 Re: How to build a woodie
December 28, 2021, 11:43:52 am
Nice looking board!

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1398 Re: How to build a woodie
December 28, 2021, 01:17:16 pm
Rather than a fan I was thinking of a Vacmaster air mover as I've got other uses for it (sticking it in front of the turbo trainer). It's what they use for drying out flooded houses (we've had cause to use them like this previously).

It's a big space so I wasn't sure if a space heater would actually do much (although we need something just to make it a bit more comfortable when it's totally freezing outside anyway).

Hi Paul, I can't remember how air tight your garage is but if it is/can be made so, a big dehumidifier could be a way to go/try. Especially as the walls are retaining earth! Will always be drawing moisture through obviously. I've one of these
 https://www.meacodehumidifiers.co.uk/products/meaco-20l-low-energy-platinum-dehumidifier-3-year-warranty-meaco20le?variant=14283987451971&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAiKuOBhBQEiwAId_sKyQbSwhANR25BT08QXSeNiRzuGCupoLNXh0RdOeY2m9K7cnJOl2UWhoCXYQQAvD_BwE
running at 200w, so super cheap, and it really shifts some air on fast setting. For the size of your garage I think it would be man enough to move enough air about. And it will suck 20l in a day if its damp enough. And you get the 'magic' dehumidifying heating benefit.

Edit... its actually one of these I have, not the above
https://www.meacodehumidifiers.co.uk/products/meaco-25l-low-energy-dehumidifier-mea25le

Paul B

• forum hero
#1399 Re: How to build a woodie
December 28, 2021, 01:45:29 pm
Mischa I had thought about insulation but I thought in the current climate it building materials being a bit inflated it might end up being relatively expensive. The board is about 16ft x 16ft and takes up about 3/4 of the width.

Probes - when you were last in it there was a substantial draft underneath the wooden barn style doors but I was finding a lot of crap got blown in when the winds are high so I fitted those rubber garage door seals. Condensation seems worse since then I'm sure! The walls are very dry, I've not seen any staining even since painting them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal