UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 437132 times)

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#650 Re: How to build a woodie
March 17, 2020, 10:00:49 am
One thing to be aware of with painting the board is the gluing effect of the paint. Despite leaving my board for 7 days after painting before mounting holds (supposedly the max. cure time), I've found the holds are pretty much welded to the ply - I can take the bolts out and hang off the holds. I've got a symmetrical setup that I haven't changed much, only swapped out ~5 holds that were too small/nasty for the angle. Had to give the holds a good whack with a mallet to get them off - usually only leaving minor paint damage but one took a bit of the top layer of ply with it. Something to bear in mind if you change holds about. Having some aggregate/texture in the paint supposedly helps with this, or you could use a longer cure time before mounting holds.

Durbs

• forum hero
#651 Re: How to build a woodie
March 17, 2020, 12:22:51 pm
Agree - mine's nearly 2 years old but still whenever I strip it there's holds which are stuck to the paint requiring a stern hit with a rubber mallet to get off, usually taking the paint, and occasionally a thin ply, with it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#652 Re: How to build a woodie
March 17, 2020, 12:32:02 pm
BuK seem to re-paint their wall (white?  :wall:  :devil-smiley:) for fun and although there's a short period where they keep it empty, I haven't noticed massive patches of paint missing or ply being pulled off. It must be specific to the paint being used?

Is there not some kind of sealer that can be applied? Again, I think the Depot's lightly varnished boards hold up well to abuse. I've climbed on some more heavily varnished specimens and feel like they rob you of chalk every time you snatch a new hold.

Trail

#653 Re: How to build a woodie
March 20, 2020, 04:37:40 pm
I used 2 coats of wood primer and 2 coats of blue chalkboard paint on mine - has held up well a year in, handy for ticking holds for problems (and seeing how innacurate you are hitting holds with chalky hands or what holds aren't getting usage and could do with tweaking :shrug:)
plus the blue brightens up my garage :)
Can stick up a picture when i'm not on the work PC later if you want a look

PlainCroi$$ant

• regular
#654 Re: How to build a woodie
March 22, 2020, 04:05:15 pm
Hi all,

V basic question for corona-enforced woodie building. Would 3 panels of this (link below) do the job for the actual board or should I be looking at something thicker?

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/18mm-hardwood-external-grade-wbp-plywood-b-bb-2440mm-x-1220mm-8ft-x-4ft

Thanks!

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#655 Re: How to build a woodie
March 22, 2020, 04:37:59 pm
Definitely not thicker. However, 12mm is also okay if well supported. I have built one of each - they are not noticeably different in use.

PlainCroi$$ant

• regular
#656 Re: How to build a woodie
March 22, 2020, 04:43:46 pm
Ace, thanks!

UnkArl

• player
#657 Re: How to build a woodie
March 29, 2020, 08:54:56 am
Considering adding a crack training section to my woody, do you guys think melamine would be too slippy to jam (it would be at approximately 35° overhanging and about 8ft long)?

tomtom

• forum hero
#658 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2020, 06:59:39 pm
YYfY. After watching me watch Dan Turners ‘watch me build a roof section’ YouTube clip last night, MrsTT suggested (after commenting that Dan flicked his hair quite a lot) why don’t you build one of those upstairs”

Hallelujah \o/

So. A couple of dumbass questions.

I can get away with it being one 8 x 4 bit of ply. I’ve figured out the mounts/frame.

This will be a 6-9 month board only. No longevity required. Q1. If I just screw holds direct to the ply (no point in T nuts? Or availability) then would 12mm ply be Ok? Or best 18mm? Though 18 min will be heavier which could be a mounting issue (to joists).

Q2. Are wood deliveries still ongoing - or should I just get off my ass and call people in S Manc tomorrow? One sheet of ply and a couple of lengths of wood aren’t much so we’ll see.

Q3. Make my own holds? Or buy some cheapy plastic ones. If latter or both any recommendations for value?

It’ll be 2.1m high. 2.44’m diagonal. A cickboatd and 46 degrees. Was thinking half wooden balls for feet. Evil.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#659 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2020, 07:27:11 pm
I'd prefer 18 for taking screws.

8 x 4 is a fine size for an old school systems board

Making holds is fine if you have the time

JamieG

• forum hero
#660 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2020, 07:35:31 pm
You might struggle to get timber delivered at the moment. I put an order in with Travis Perkins before lock down and doubt it is going to be delivered any time soon. Looking on most timber merchants are offering services to trade customers only. B&Q offer a click and collect service (i think Wickes do too) but the quality of their plywood is not rated highly, but maybe for a temporary board that isn't a problem. I've been debating cancelling my Travis Perkins order and taking a chance with B&Q but can't decided what to do.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#661 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2020, 07:57:29 pm
Also...
If you are taking it up to the attic or down to a cellar, will the full sheet fit up/down the stairs?

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#662 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2020, 07:58:08 pm
Don't worry about t nutting especially if it is only a short term board. I have screwed all the holds on my board without a problem. For larger plastic holds just go full euro and try and get 2/3 screws in the central hole (or buy some washers if you are posh!).

Worst case is on my board I'm 3 feet off the floor so if a hold did come off it wouldn't be the end of the world.

As for holds probably making them would be best as everywhere seems to be out of stock (I was considering topping up my own board).

Finally don't make the holds too small. I was overly optimistic on how strong I was initially and everything was way too hard, this just gets depressing and it is worth having a few larger jugs and mini jugs for warm ups and easier problem's.

Also did you say it is upstairs? If it is in a loft and you are repeatedly falling onto the floor you might want to double check the joists are strong enough. Damaging the ceilings probably wouldn't be ideal in the long run...

tomtom

• forum hero
#663 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2020, 08:28:26 pm
Thanks all.

Attic room (well inhabited already). Lagers - I’ve got a double mattress up and down the stairs before so hopefully. Otherwise it may require some surgery. To the banisters obvs 🙄

PaulB has been WhatsApp ing me lots of plywood design specs - it’s basically got to go in this gap. Attaching via the two large beams and a kickboqtd at the bottom

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#664 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2020, 10:12:10 pm
Thanks all.

Attic room (well inhabited already). Lagers - I’ve got a double mattress up and down the stairs before so hopefully. Otherwise it may require some surgery. To the banisters obvs 🙄

PaulB has been WhatsApp ing me lots of plywood design specs - it’s basically got to go in this gap. Attaching via the two large beams and a kickboqtd at the bottom

Glad I inspired something.

Tom, one thing I would say, seal the bottom of your door, chalk goes everywhere..... so much so, my neighbours garage has to covers his Porsche in a sheet  :oops:

B&Q plywood will be fine, it completely rubbish stuff, but it is inside and you are essentially just drilling screws all over it.

Good luck, looks like a fun set up.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#665 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 01:02:01 am

Q2. Are wood deliveries still ongoing - or should I just get off my ass and call people in S Manc tomorrow? One sheet of ply and a couple of lengths of wood aren’t much so we’ll see.

I got some delivered on Thursday, from Holdex in Darwen.

tomtom

• forum hero
#666 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 08:15:51 am
Cheers Dan. Good chalk advices. The rest of the room is our home office . So might have to be very careful (fan/window open etc..) or get some dust sheets.

B&Q are doing click and collect - but a big lump of ply wobbling about on the roof of my car looks a bit non essential.. I’ll chase delivery round here. Lots of places looking online are just doing trade only though. Time to get on the blower. :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#667 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 08:19:01 am
(Ps - I think MrsTT was either quite interested in climbing in garage videos (unlikely) or you - as she wanted to watch another 😃)

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#668 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 08:28:34 am
To stop getting chalk everywhere you could use liquid chalk. This is what I have to do when fingerboarding as I have it setup in the living room doorway so i can watch TV whilst hanging.

Bradders

• forum hero
#669 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 08:55:39 am
(Ps - I think MrsTT was either quite interested in climbing in garage videos (unlikely) or you - as she wanted to watch another )

Maybe she likes how he flicks his hair  ;)

https://giphy.com/gifs/zendaya-mVYIvybdGCqJy

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#670 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 10:29:41 am
You might struggle to get timber delivered at the moment.

Ron Currie & Sons in Sutton In Ashfield, Nottinghamshire are still offering order online and collect service. You can arrange delivery by emailing them, their webform is broken
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:50:22 am by CrimpyMcCrimpface »

tomtom

• forum hero
#671 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 10:40:40 am
Well I can get the narrow 1.8m sheets in the car - so I've ordered some from B&Q click and collect. Its bizaarely let me order despite the store being closed (I have no idea whats happening) so see what gives...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#672 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 10:50:39 am
Shame I'm so far away, got 3 sheets of ply i don't need after a mate donated his pre T-nutted boards to me when he moved.

tomtom

• forum hero
#673 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 11:04:05 am
Shame I'm so far away, got 3 sheets of ply i don't need after a mate donated his pre T-nutted boards to me when he moved.

Bugger. Thanks anyway Chris.

JamieG

• forum hero
#674 Re: How to build a woodie
March 31, 2020, 02:04:06 pm
Well I can get the narrow 1.8m sheets in the car - so I've ordered some from B&Q click and collect. Its bizaarely let me order despite the store being closed (I have no idea whats happening) so see what gives...

Did you actually get click and collect to work. They don't seem to let me actually collect plywood. You can put it in your basket, it says its in stock, but every time I go to checkout they say its unavailable. I've tried a few combinations of sizes and stores, but nothing seems to work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal