UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 437576 times)

dpb

• addict
#250 Re: How to build a woodie
August 31, 2011, 07:47:05 pm
As soon as the shed arrives (and the garage is emptied into it) I shall be building a board, Wo Hoo.

I'm thinking of building a free standing scaffold affair and have seen a few pics recently of walls being built with the scaffold boxed in with timber to then attach the ply to.

http://www.tca-glasgow.com/glasgow-climbing-blog/ there is an example of it here part way down the page.

Does anybody know exactly how the timber box is constructed/attached to the scaffold?  Are they actually attached or just resting on the horizontal scaffold pole?  Thickness of timber etc?  Do the ends have a piece of timber with a circle cut in them?

Cheers

Dave

Lewis.

#251 Re: How to build a woodie
September 01, 2011, 09:38:51 am
I'm building a flat vertical traverse wall in our garage at the moment.....wanted to do some mad overhangs and a steep wall but it's rented and the wife was dead against it!  SO, just having a traverse wall...better than nothing I guess  :-\

What I want to do is screw some big ass volumes and shapes on to make it more difficult - does anyone have any good pics for inspiration or advice on building volumes?  Was going to buy screw on fibreglass ones for ease like these (that rhymes) but they're not cheap!

http://www.ep-uk.com/store/browse/50

Thanks

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#252 Re: How to build a woodie
September 01, 2011, 09:46:52 am
nearly twenty years into climbing, and finally I started building my wall. as you know it's a consequence (a consequence, not the reason, mind...  ;)) of moving back to Siena. I've almost finished the frame, managed to build it without touching the walls, because they are hollow. have a few pics, will post them.
I'm so psyched it's almost scary. almost.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#253 Re: How to build a woodie
September 16, 2011, 01:25:11 pm
Lots of folk mentioning scaffold as a cheap/easy option vs wood but been looking into it and the only prices I can find seem quite high.  Anyone got any pointers of where to check Sheffield way?

I'm looking at about 20-25metres of timber or maybe 3x10ft & 7x6ft and 2x8ft scaffold poles.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#254 Re: How to build a woodie
September 16, 2011, 07:28:19 pm
I would of thought making it out of rough sawn timber far cheaper than scaffold

Topher

• regular
#255 Re: How to build a woodie
January 08, 2012, 10:55:44 pm
Yo,

Been thinking about building a board. The only problem i have is the height i have to play with  7'. So Ive done some rough calculations and came up with this 400mm kickboard, board length 2200mm at an angle of 40 degrees.

So what do you think. Will it work or will it be to short?

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#256 Re: How to build a woodie
April 30, 2012, 09:45:41 pm
I am in the process of renovating a house and it has a decent sized basement split by structural walls. I am considering building a climbing cave, but am not sure how much use it would see. For those of you with a home wall, how much use does it see and is it worth the expense and time required to build it? Or would I be better with a finger board?

clm

• forum hero
#257 Re: How to build a woodie
April 30, 2012, 11:19:43 pm
I am in the process of renovating a house and it has a decent sized basement split by structural walls. I am considering building a climbing cave, but am not sure how much use it would see. For those of you with a home wall, how much use does it see and is it worth the expense and time required to build it? Or would I be better with a finger board?

Why hasn't this post got girls in it? In fact why is it even in this thread?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#258 Re: How to build a woodie
May 01, 2012, 08:35:02 am

My board cost me roughly 1000 euros, half of which for the wood and half for the holds, many holds. It's 4x3,6 meters.
I use it almost everyday and it has changed my life.
Do it.
And put up a fingerboard.

ianv

• forum abuser
#259 Re: How to build a woodie
May 01, 2012, 09:31:49 am
If anyone is using scaffolding to build a wall, I think I have still have some fittings for attaching the board to the scaffold. PM if anyone is interested and I will dig them out.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#260 Re: How to build a woodie
May 01, 2012, 01:24:59 pm
Why hasn't this post got girls in it? In fact why is it even in this thread?

Please accept my apologies. I hope the recent additions to said thread make up for it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#261 Re: How to build a woodie
May 01, 2012, 01:45:30 pm
For those of you with a home wall, how much use does it see and is it worth the expense and time required to build it? Or would I be better with a finger board?

I think only you can answer that. A mate built a great cellar board, but I used to use it more than he did, but then there are people like Nibile who live on theirs.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#262 Re: How to build a woodie
May 01, 2012, 04:59:03 pm
I use my small attic board a couple of times a week, but before I had kids and didn't have to stay in 3 nights a week to look after them I hardly used the one I had..
Depends if you crave novelty and friends during training sessions or prefer ease of access and customisability.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#263 Re: How to build a woodie
May 02, 2012, 12:17:01 pm
I built one in my cellar, about 12x12 at 60 deg, lashed it with randomly with holds. It got used for a bit then the novelty wore off. This year i changed it into a mirrored system ish board.. now i use it twice a week and have done for 6 months.. routines and structured sessions help massively for me to get motivated down there. Oh yeah get a fingerboard as well  ;) and a big stereo and some  :punk: tunes.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#264 Re: How to build a woodie
May 02, 2012, 12:53:49 pm
A good quality and variety of holds is crucial. On my board I also have some symmetric holds, so that I can use it for system training. It helps you to put in a session when you're a bit tired or doesn't feel like climbing. Plus, with system training, to me it's easier to control volume and intensity.

webbo

• forum hero
#265 Re: How to build a woodie
July 24, 2012, 02:02:00 pm
I've just got hold of some boards 3 x 4ft by 8ft plus a 12inch kick board. So I can have a board 12 ft wide by 8ft. However it needs to be freestanding as its going in an annex which just has plasterboard walls attached to a timber frame and although the floor is concrete it has underfloor heating pipes under it.Thinking of around 40 degree angle.
Any suggestions for a frame to attach it to.

Jack.G

• regular
#266 Re: How to build a woodie
August 03, 2012, 04:21:44 pm
Started plans for building a woodie in the garage, due to stairs and doors I am really restriced by layout but can get 2.4m x 2.4m @ 25 deg with a 25cm kicker which I am quite happy about.

Would it be worth doing away with the kicker, is it really need @ 25 deg? It would make construction far easier.

If I went straight from roof to floor I would have to reduce the angle to 22.5 deg.

Graham

honroid

• addict
#267 Re: How to build a woodie
August 23, 2012, 06:05:04 pm

Did you read this: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,16281.msg284010.html#msg284010 ?

Just finishing up the plans for my board now and looking at the details of the kick board. Fun times.

mikester

• regular
#268 Re: How to build a woodie
October 20, 2012, 06:50:19 pm
Whilst I'm injured, I figured I'd take the opportunity to overhaul/redesign my board and make it a bit more versatile, so could do with some UKB advice. I currently have a stepped board (steep roof, shallow headwall + Beastmaker) which has done me proud for years and I think makes good use of low height (2.5 m), but I'm thinking about replacing it with a flat board. Question is: what angle to go for? 30 to 45 degrees seems common, but wondering what would be best for both bouldering and circuits. I'm erring towards shallower since nearly every indoor wall as steep stuff to play on if I want it. And I won't be making some adjustable thing with chains and all that. Maybe I should just stick with what I've got and change all the holds. Shit, I don't know.
Cheers.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#269 Re: How to build a woodie
October 20, 2012, 10:29:19 pm
My board is only 1.8m high or something and is good as a flat board at approx 48 degrees. If you are keen for a project then replace your board with a flat steep board, if not then keep it the same as it is now. Simples.

mikester

• regular
#270 Re: How to build a woodie
October 21, 2012, 08:03:44 am
48 degrees!? Now you're just making me feel like a wuss!

Dr T

• forum hero
#271 Re: How to build a woodie
October 21, 2012, 10:00:52 am
My board is only 1.8m high or something and is good as a flat board at approx 48 degrees.
Similar board in my shed - I was getting a little tired of it so I ordered a symmetrical set from the beastmaker boys
Interesting how doing the same problems in two different directions alters the "grade" - certainly shows up imbalances...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#272 Re: How to build a woodie
November 18, 2013, 09:13:12 am
A dilemma;

24 deg board, might hit freezer if I fall off near top vs 30 deg will definitely land on freezer. Got quite a lot of padding available if needed, but would like to avoid freezer related landings if possible. Can't move freezer, can't really move board without eating into space set aside for phase 2 (45 deg board).

Also hardwood ply or softwood ply? Or are either OK?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#273 Re: How to build a woodie
November 18, 2013, 09:18:55 am
Less steep and smaller or worse holds??

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#274 Re: How to build a woodie
November 18, 2013, 10:07:33 am

Also hardwood ply or softwood ply? Or are either OK?

Pine should be fine Chris, Birch is superior, but far more expensive .......Thing to check on is the number of plies  laminated together, the more the  better ..........   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:13:59 am by grumpycrumpy »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal