UKBouldering.com

Hold tight, it's the holds thread (Read 58896 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
I'm not sure if it's the angle, or small size of the board, but I found the feet on the floor method really awkward (and even more boring than using feet!) but I can maybe try it again once our board is uncovered (had to move lots under it for an attic conversion.

I went for these:
https://coreclimbing.co.uk/product/core-mini-jugs/
and these:
https://coreclimbing.co.uk/product/font-screw-on-micro-jugs/

The board they're on goes from 30-45 degrees across it and has a few carefully placed volumes on the steeper bit so you can get nice and twisted in plus a few of the better holds on the less steep part so you can hang out and shake. I'd always intended to put something in on the steep bit to stick a knee in.

How much deeper would you say they mini's are vs. the micros, Paul? I've got the same Font Screw on Micro Jugs on our board so it would be interesting to get your views on just how much better they are. It's hard to tell from the photos on their website.

The mediums look massive, but I can't quite tell on the mini's.

I was thinking of going for the mini's, but maybe the limestone ones so they are a bit smoother on the skin...

Paul B

• forum hero
I'll nip out to the garage and email you some photos.

One thing I do like about the Core range vs. the Font range is that it doesn't seem to carve off your skin in the same way when you're doing volume.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 11:48:07 am by Paul B »

James Malloch

• forum hero
I'll nip out to the garage and email you some photos.

One thing I do like about the Core range vs. the Font range is that it doesn't seem to carve off your skin in the same way when you're doing volume.

That's brilliant, thank you! They look like they would be perfect - once the board is uncovered again I'll probably get a set on order.

Good to know that they are better on the skin. I'll go for the core range, rather than the limestone.

I like your use of volumes too. Are they one's that you have made? I've definitely got space to add a few of them.

Paul B

• forum hero
Yes, the volumes were made by myself. Initially I used my track saw which took a bit of time lining everything up for each cut, but I later worked out that with a small enough piece of plywood I could manage with a sliding mitre saw (AKA Fergus). This was much quicker.

The board wasn't just for me and we're at different abilities (although I hadn't made much improvement for years and the same couldn't be said for my wife!), especially on steeper things, so the board was 'designed' with that in mind.

James Malloch

• forum hero
Cheers, Paul. I just realised that our board is free-standing and has some 4"x2" uprights which I could probably put a foothold on to bridge off and rest. If that doesn't work then I'll try and make a few small volumes which can go on the side.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal