UKBouldering.com

Re: Quality chuffing podcasts (Read 2792 times)

andybfreeman

• menacing presence

petejh

• forum hero
#1 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
May 19, 2013, 11:56:57 pm
Didn't know where the best place to post this was (blogs maybe?) but anyway, I thought this would interest quite a few folk on here, and it's helping me keep psyched through a layoff from climbing.

If you haven't already, check out The Enomocast, it's so brilliant  - Chris Kalous seems to have a great thing going there and manages to keep it funny and at a grass roots level despite the 'message from our sponsors'; kind of an audio version of UKB if it were in N.America.

Particularly gold dust are:
- The interview with Randy Leavitt, which I thought was awesome (what a ledge, driving 10 hours each way in a day to proj new routes, discovering and developing Clark Mountain - home of Jumbo Love etc, Yosemite wad, big wave surfing),
- Hayden Kennedy on alpine epics and chopping the Compressor Route,
-  from mid-way through with Jonathan Siegrist talking about attempting the Dawn Wall proj with Tommy Caldwell (the whole interview's good),

Loads more good material on there, haven't listened to the Alex Honnold one yet.

I long ago lost all interest in listening to 95% of sponsored climbers talking vanilla zombie shit via the usual channels - most of what they have to say comes across to me as being predictable to the point that it's like listening to paint dry.  Definitely the Enormocast is something missing from the UK scene although I can't think who here would have the charisma and enthusiasm to pull off something similar? Hearing Kalous interview some of the top British climbers from the 80's would be pretty interesting.

Here: http://enormocast.com/   Enjoy!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:24:42 am by petejh »

grimer

• forum hero
#2 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
December 17, 2013, 05:53:44 pm
Yeah, love the enormocast.

Also check out some good Climb talk Radio. At first I didn't like it because of the guy who talks in the slow, Bouldery accesnt, then I loved it all of a sudden, because of the guy with the slow, Bouldery accent. I expect your experience will be clouded with the same thing:

Jim Erickson on the Naked Edge etc:
https://archive.org/details/climbtalk-8-17-2012

Huntley Ingalls on Layton Kor and desert towers:
https://archive.org/details/climbtalk-6-22-2012

https://archive.org/details/climbtalk-7-20-2012

Loads more if you like it, but just google Climb Talk radio

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
December 19, 2013, 12:47:15 am
pre-pubescent, tiny hands... you know: "Pad Sniffers, they smell of skittles"

;D

blamo

• addict

petejh

• forum hero
#5 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
February 23, 2015, 06:23:06 pm
Typical of the man that this will be overlooked by being placed in the wrong thread!

Well worth a listen.

blamo

• addict
#6 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
February 23, 2015, 06:30:04 pm
Opps!  Where would one put this?  :sorry:

petejh

• forum hero
#7 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
February 23, 2015, 06:39:28 pm
I guess either 'Chuffing' or 'News'

andy popp

• forum hero
#8 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
February 23, 2015, 06:46:18 pm
Warning: the interview doesn't start until just over seven minutes of complete inanity have passed. I'd given up the will to live by that point.

mindfull

• menacing presence
    • Blog
#9 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
April 08, 2015, 03:09:32 pm
The Enormocast has had a run of lame interviews recently, but IMO the very latest with Sonnie Trotter is a return to form:
http://enormocast.com/episode-78-sonnie-trotter-nicer-than-you-are/

You'll have to look into them individually, but there's some cool content in there. Pity is that every time, also with the good ones (Hindlay/Honnold/...), the presenter Chris is more relating to himselves than to the interviewed.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#10 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
April 08, 2015, 04:10:27 pm
I've been listening to quite a few of these in recent weeks on my walk to work. Have to agree that Kalous' self referencing becomes quite annoying and being a tradman it's hard to not feel the animosity when he's speaking to sport climbers. I do think he gets some good content out of the interviewees though, it has that good conversational style to them so it's natural he'll throw in his own experience I suppose. 

This last Trotter one was good, as was Ethan Pringle's for it's honesty in being a disillusioned rich kid. I Found Hazel's one not great due to the overbearing grit theme running through the questioning which you can tell is basically foreign to her. That said, glad he does them. I just skip the adverts.

To echo Pete above, it would be great to have something like this for UK/Ireland. Doesn't seem like much hard work to produce beyond getting sat down with someone. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
April 08, 2015, 05:27:57 pm
The Lynn Hill Enormocast has been my favourite by far, she just seems a class above the rest in her level of comfort during the interview.

I'll have to add Trotter and Pringle to the list although I still don't have an AUX plug in the car.

To echo Pete above, it would be great to have something like this for UK/Ireland. Doesn't seem like much hard work to produce beyond getting sat down with someone. 

Well volunteered?  :tumble: or Shark perhpas. Moon, Godskins, Steve Mc?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#12 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
April 08, 2015, 06:07:34 pm
Not for me, I'm from hull. Be great if Simon has the time and inclination

grimer

• forum hero
#14 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
April 15, 2015, 09:56:42 am
With the Enormocast, I quite like your man's rambling. For one, it's his show so he can do what he likes, but also it gives the show a personality and a point of view, which I think is essential and that other podcasts I have heard lack.

I can see why you wouldn't like it, but I think I have listened to every episode and don't mind it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
May 13, 2015, 02:08:22 pm
Johnny Dawes on BBC Radio Sheffield's "Life so Far"

Interview starts at 2h 09min 20secs and runs for about 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:33:52 pm by slackline »

TheTwig

• stalker
#16 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
May 14, 2015, 08:32:54 am
Thumbs up for the Enormocast. Listened to every episode so far. Just skip the adverts at the front. I actually sent the guy £10 to buy himself a few beers and send me some stickers. (They are awesome btw)

Hard to say which are my favourite ones, I like getting into the heads of the 'pros' etc, but equally some of the absolutely insane stories they tell really crack me up. One of my favourite episodes barely mentions climbing at all http://enormocast.com/epsiode-66-angela-van-wiemeersch-the-ice-gypsy/ - She sounds like the coolest most hot female on the planet tbh  :2thumbsup:

Also, new episode just out with Nina Caprez !!!!  :wub: :wub: :wub:

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
May 14, 2015, 12:39:51 pm
Also, new episode just out with Nina Caprez !!!!  :wub: :wub: :wub:

:wub: - and it doesn't crush the illusion?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#18 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
May 29, 2015, 12:29:43 pm
Listening to the Caprez enourmocast now. Really interesting- cool to hear her views on the sort of films she wants to be involved in making especially.

Going to start listening to these regularly now.

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#19 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
May 29, 2015, 02:03:44 pm
It has been mentioned already elsewhere but definitely deserves inclusion in this thread. Alex Barrows interviewed at Training Beta.
https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/alex-barrows/?portfolioID=3838

Bill Ramsay up next on that site too ... should be good hopefully.

Great podcast, he seemed a lot more comfortable than some of the others. Good content also

kelvin

• forum hero
#20 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
June 28, 2015, 12:19:22 pm
Nalle, talking for an hour or so about the Lapnor project amongst other things.

http://theledge.podbean.com/e/nalle-hukkataival/

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#21 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
September 01, 2015, 11:05:34 am
Those Training beta podcasts are spoilt by the presenter I find- she's fun and cheerful and the beginning and end but when the interview's taking place she sounds so tetchy and bored.

In the Barrows one she mentions that she's writing what he's saying down, so maybe that's the reason. Got knows why you'd do that when the interview's being recorded though.  :shrug:

I still listen to them of course but I much prefer the Enormocast guy's relaxed style.

Schnell

• menacing presence
#22 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
September 01, 2015, 11:32:38 am
Those Training beta podcasts are spoilt by the presenter I find- she's fun and cheerful and the beginning and end but when the interview's taking place she sounds so tetchy and bored.

In the Barrows one she mentions that she's writing what he's saying down, so maybe that's the reason. Got knows why you'd do that when the interview's being recorded though.  :shrug:

I still listen to them of course but I much prefer the Enormocast guy's relaxed style.

Being a "pad-sniffing euro-weenie" myself I find Kalous a bit annoying (and apparently he spends most of his climbing time clipping bolts in Rifle anyway), but yeah I'd much rather listen to him than TrainingBeta. She's done the 'hang on I'm writing this down' thing in various interviews.

I've also listened to a few episodes of the 'chalktalk' podcast: http://mantlepressmedia.com/. Despite being labelled a 'climbing industry' podcast, it's pretty interesting. The presenter has a engaging style and covers some interesting topics like the route-setting episode with Tonde Katiyo (ep34) and some good coverage of the comps.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#23 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
September 01, 2015, 11:43:55 am
I've been spending far too much time in the car in recent weeks and have thereby become an enormocast fan. Find it better than music for staying awake on long stretches of midnight autobahn. The one with Stevie was fantastic.

Neely and the Chalk Talk guy have some worthwhile stuff too.

Paul B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Re: Quality chuffing podcasts
November 10, 2015, 06:43:38 pm
I was highly disappointed (perhaps wrongly so) in a recent TrainingBeta Podcast I listened to featuring Steve Masich even though members of this Parish had recommended it highly.

Perhaps it's me that's wrong on this (and I'll have to re-read the article to see) but SM makes a very strong statement that adding weight whilst fingerboarding is better than using a small edge, citing the Lopez study as some of the only available research on training for climbing, proving that result.

My understanding was that EL compared MAW (Max. added weight) followed by MED (Min. edge depth) and the reverse i.e. MED followed by MAW, and compared the two. I didn't think she'd done MAW vs. MED (am I remembering this correctly?).

If this is the case then I think it needs correcting. It gave me little confidence in what followed if I'm honest.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal