UKBouldering.com

Famous examples of chipped routes/problems (Read 9166 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
The spike foothold on the moves left at the top of Zoolook looked chipped to me.

‘The Angel’s Share’ is the quantity of whisky which evaporates from the cask when it’s stored for aging btw

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
My mother-in-law's husband told me that in French, the angel's share refers to any alcohol lost when maturing a fermented beverage in a barel, so also for wine there is a part des anges. The term is supposedly from alchemy, where the volatile liquids where symbolised by angels (I found support for this statement in https://books.openedition.org/pup/2769?lang=fr paragraph 77)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
The spike foothold on the moves left at the top of Zoolook looked chipped to me.

‘The Angel’s Share’ is the quantity of whisky which evaporates from the cask when it’s stored for aging btw

Not a great film, but still pretty good, and worth a watch https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924394/

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
What's the deal with First round first minute by the way? From the ground it looks almost completely manufactured? It was also classified as such on Verhoeven's great/infamous post about possible 9b-projects in Spain that was up for a few hours before his sponsors took it down. Anyone's been up it?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures

Not a great film, but still pretty good, and worth a watch https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924394/
I thought it was pretty good, a sort of Whisky Galore for the Young Offenders generation.
Climbing connection: an old climbing friend sold his first flat to Loach's son way back.

As you were.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
To please Fiend, in these parts, namely Lancs quarries, Cheat is pretty infamous in Wilton... a blank wall with 3 or 4 perfectly chipped and placed crimps. Terrifying to set off up if you're at your limit, but the holds appear just when needed. That said I've seen a couple of heinous videos of lobs from the top, that are very close to disaster. Rumours of the villain of the crime still circulate.

Skip to ends...

SA Chris

• forum hero
Watching Shauna's new vid about Northumberland, made me think again, is that first right hand hold on the Nadser chipped? Feels and looks like it might be.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
To please Fiend, in these parts, namely Lancs quarries, Cheat is pretty infamous in Wilton... a blank wall with 3 or 4 perfectly chipped and placed crimps. Terrifying to set off up if you're at your limit, but the holds appear just when needed. That said I've seen a couple of heinous videos of lobs from the top, that are very close to disaster. Rumours of the villain of the crime still circulate.

Skip to ends...

An early guidebook says something along the lines 'difficult if you're not the same height as the chipper(n.b. Hank is 5'10").

stone

• forum abuser

Yorkshire grit is full of examples but the Derbyshire and Staffordshire equivalents much less so. Were the latter much less climbed - more vigorously wardened perhaps - during the era when chipping was more accepted?

I asked Dennis Gray about this a while ago (1993-ish I guess). He told me there was a prolific Yorkshire chipper in action when he started climbing. Apparently Dennis and other climbers used to steal equipment from the chipper to try and slow him down. He said some of the chip ladders the guy carved on Caley boulders went up established natural climbs. That conversation gave me the impression that the one guy was responsible for much of the Yorkshire Grit chipping and was hated for it by other climbers at the time..

36chambers

• forum hero

Yorkshire grit is full of examples but the Derbyshire and Staffordshire equivalents much less so. Were the latter much less climbed - more vigorously wardened perhaps - during the era when chipping was more accepted?

I asked Dennis Gray about this a while ago (1993-ish I guess). He told me there was a prolific Yorkshire chipper in action when he started climbing. Apparently Dennis and other climbers used to steal equipment from the chipper to try and slow him down. He said some of the chip ladders the guy carved on Caley boulders went up established natural climbs. That conversation gave me the impression that the one guy was responsible for much of the Yorkshire Grit chipping and was hated for it by other climbers at the time..

The chipped climbs around Caley make me sad. Pretty much all of them look like they could have made great natural climbs. Sucker's Wall in particular.

SA Chris

• forum hero
That conversation gave me the impression that the one guy was responsible for much of the Yorkshire Grit chipping and was hated for it by other climbers at the time..

From Caley all the way out to Widdop? Or was the action of one guy making it seem OK for others? Thin end of the wedge chisel?

Dingdong

• forum abuser
I actually had a couple questions for people regarding this thread:

1) would it be possible to fix a lot of the chips using resin mixed with broken rock and dirt to fill the chips? I’m guessing the fact it hasn’t been done means it wouldn’t work?

2) does anyone know if the right hand flat crimp on bens roof at tor is chipped? Always wondered as it’s essentially the perfect flatty

User deactivated.

• forum hero
I actually had a couple questions for people regarding this thread:

1) would it be possible to fix a lot of the chips using resin mixed with broken rock and dirt to fill the chips? I’m guessing the fact it hasn’t been done means it wouldn’t work?

It would work but you'd never get it to look perfect. There's also the issue that in many instances, the chipped hold was previously just a worse hold and/or the problem might not go with the chip filled in. However, on balance, i'd happily vote for all chipped holds (on grit at least) to be filled in. I'd even fill some myself if the community were for it.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Historically chipped routes are probably best left alone, you're essentially wiping the shared history of everyone that's done them. Flippant point, quarries are one massive chip, but you work with what you're given.

The classic Black Magic at Pex was fairly successfully repaired (some comments say too well). Years later it's hard to spot, done carefully with local sand was mixed in.

Similar thing happened at another sandstone venue, Harmers Wood where it looked like a router had been taken to the wall to create gear slots. Filled with glue/sand and texture matched to the surrounding rock. Can't fine an 'after' pic right now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10158780249097065&set=pcb.1023328484783756

Dingdong

• forum abuser
Yeah I think with careful work and consideration a good repair job is definitely possible. There’s so much stuff in the peak Bonjoy has fixed and you couldn’t even tell.

I repaired a foot this year that broke off and used sand and some grit from below the block and came out good as new!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal