UKBouldering.com

Dharma, dukes quarry (Read 1482 times)

remus

• forum hero
Dharma, dukes quarry
September 10, 2022, 11:46:55 am
Any views on whether this will ha e survived the recent rain? I know it had a few ascents during the dry spell so I assume it would have been relatively clean/dry up to a couple of weeks ago.

bolehillbilly

• stalker
#1 Re: Dharma, dukes quarry
September 10, 2022, 12:02:33 pm
Like most places we've had some heavy downpours this week. Not sure I'd travel specifically to check it out this weekend, it stopped raining this morning about 10.30,  humid, bit of a breeze but nothing that would rustle the ferns in Dukes. The forecast for the coming week does look more promising though.
 Upping the Ante in Robin Hood has had a few ascents and the top peg replaced recently. This would dry more quickly and might be worth checking as a handy back up plan.

T_B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Dharma, dukes quarry
September 10, 2022, 03:43:44 pm
I cleaned it last year but I don’t think it ever dried. Missed the sendage window a few weeks ago. It’s like a jungle in there and the bottom of the route is a stream. At the moment I’d go on the 4th day following three days no rain, so possibly Friday next wk? Not sure I’d risk it on less than that even with its recent cleaning and ascents. Obvs the optimum would be a dry spell after the leaves start to fall, but you might wait 10 years for that! It’s surprisingly quick to drive to from Sheffield Amber Valley way and 3 mins walk in so worth a punt if you’re psyched. It’s not quite the quality of Master’s Edge, but it ain’t far off.

remus

• forum hero
#3 Re: Dharma, dukes quarry
September 11, 2022, 10:20:06 pm
Thanks for the knowledge. I can only do tues or weds this week so looks like something else is on the cards instead.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Re: Dharma, dukes quarry
September 12, 2022, 09:13:27 am
Get Rich Quick is a much faster drying option if you still have a Duke's Quarry itch to scratch. I thought it was very good. I remember Tom Randall saying it was the second best thin crack in the Peak after London Wall. The comment on UKC about the rock quality is a bit misleading I think. There is a crust of surface iron ore on this face, but the rock is bomber beneath. The crustiness does affect some moves but is not a major factor IMO and would be mostly sorted with a abb clean given it probably hasn't had a recent ascent. The gear is good and there's plenty of it, the potential E6ness derives from the difficulty of the climbing and placing gear on lead (as opposed to clipping pegs as per FA).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal