UKBouldering.com

Hangboarding in the full crimp position (Read 4891 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 12:32:06 pm
OK, so I am trying a route that has two moves on crimpers, my weakest grip type, both on right hand, my weaker hand. The first move is on a small, very incut edge, that absolutely must be taken in the full crimp position to make the move possible. The second move is on a flat pretty ok edge (about 10 mm deep) that I can take open handed: in fact I have only succeeded to do the move off it when holding it drag, but this cut the skin in two-three tries unless the conditions are amazing.

Thus, I would like to get better at crimping, both on small incut edges and on flat medium edges (on which I am at least 25% stronger in open). My regular bouldering gym currently set sufficiently hard boulders on crimps regularly and failing that there is another nearby gym that has a big spraywall with plenty of small edges, so I think I am set for the majority of the training.

However, I have never trained crimp on the hangboard. I have access to a flat slippery wooden edge with adjustable depth and to one smallish incut plastic hold at home. I find it very uncomfortable to do one arm work in the full crimp position. I could possibly take holds one handed with hyperextended joints, without wrapping the thumb over the index finger, but this feels very unstable.

I was thinking that asking how you people train the full crimp on a hangboard could spare me a few sessions of experimentation.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#1 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 01:01:34 pm
Full crimp is by far my strongest and most natural grip. I say that because it could mean that what I have to say won't be relevant to you.

I've experimented with full crimping on finger boards before and it just doesn't feel the same as doing it on the wall. Having said that it feels a bit more natural to me on really small edges - I don't mind full crimping the micros, but hate full crimping a big 20mm edge with added weight. One thing to be wary of is splitting at the joint between your skin and the sides of your fingernail due to the thumb pulling the skin away. I've had this happen a few times from full crimping on a fingerboard. Generally, board climbing on small positive edges feels better for full crimp development.

Also, having strong rear deltoids and external rotation of the shoulder feels beneficial to me for full crimping. It allows for more outwards pull on the holds. Face pulls closely resemble what my shoulder does when locking off on a crimp to the side. I seem to recall you're generally not a fan of non climbing exercises to get better at climbing, but have you considered this?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#2 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 01:46:27 pm
Thanks! I will implement some training for the rear delts — it is highly likely that I am weak in the typical positions where I pull in using a crimp as I rarely crimp holds.

I am pretty willing to do auxiliary strength work like pullups, hangboard and different form of holds for the lower trunk. I do however prefer to do any auxiliary exercise agains fixed implements at approximately the same speed as climbing moves, because of the specificity principle.

yetix

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 02:38:32 pm
Maybe you could try the in vogue 4 finger half crimp on an edge, I know alot are trying this ATM.
I can just about hang bodyweight on a 14mm edge doing it now, have noticed when I full crimp my pinky is adding alot more support going into that half crimped position, where as before my pinky would drag even in full crimp in most cases. Seems like it would have alot of carry over for full crimp, which I believe is the desired effect

I've mostly been doing it whilst warming up at the crag, (after doing a decent number of normal half crimp hangs) doing a bodyweight 4 finger half crimp pull on my portable fingerboard feels alot harder than doing a weighted max hangs session in half crimp for me...

Just to note I used to basically only open hand stuff when climbing (which is maybe true for you?) and deploy full and half crimp (unless I can find a pinch) almost never on rock, but am looking to have more grips available which it looks like you're looking to do to? 

Something I remember hearing a while ago from someone with more experience than me was the phrase full crimp brings stability but not strength, when compared to half crimp... Maybe someone with more knowledge could expand, but I guess on a fb that would be true for anyone?

Bradders

• forum hero
#4 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 04:03:58 pm
Maybe you could try the in vogue 4 finger half crimp on an edge, I know alot are trying this ATM.
I can just about hang bodyweight on a 14mm edge doing it now, have noticed when I full crimp my pinky is adding alot more support going into that half crimped position, where as before my pinky would drag even in full crimp in most cases. Seems like it would have alot of carry over for full crimp, which I believe is the desired effect

I've mostly been doing it whilst warming up at the crag, (after doing a decent number of normal half crimp hangs) doing a bodyweight 4 finger half crimp pull on my portable fingerboard feels alot harder than doing a weighted max hangs session in half crimp for me...

I've been doing this a bit, during warm ups etc. It's utterly nails! So much harder than a half crimp hang for me, and I do feel like it's made a difference in conditioning my fingers to be prepared for full crimping smaller holds.

I've also been doing pick ups like this as well, which is probably a good way of easing into it if you can't hang bodyweight (seriously...I could add 40kg on my half crimp but really struggled to finally get to a 10s bodyweight hang with pinky bent). Just have to make sure your fingers are at a sufficiently high angle bend at the PIP joint.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 04:27:21 pm
Sorry If I've missed it, what's the difference between 4 finger half crimp and half crimp?

edit. I presume this is just making sure pinky is half crimped as opposed to dragging?

yetix

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 05:14:52 pm
Pretty much, it feels for me like alot more weight is going through the back two and the wrist is working much much harder

Bradders

• forum hero
#7 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 05:27:37 pm
Yeah, pinky bent at roughly 90' at the PIP joint, which for me means my other fingers have a more acute angle than normal half crimp.

Interestingly thinking about the Tyler Nelson thread, it feels much more active for me, much more like I'm having to pull as opposed to just passively hanging. Could just be because I'm so shit at it though.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#8 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 06:18:39 pm
I literally can't get my pinky bent 90 degrees at the PIP joint and on the same edge as my other fingers. Huh.

yetix

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 09:21:59 pm
I couldn't for a while at 1 point either

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#10 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 09:46:40 pm
It took me ages of steady build up and being very disciplined with hand posture to get comfortable with the pinky bent up thing.

It felt quite painful at first but you’ll definitely see benefits in the long run if you’re at a stage where it’s worth doing.

I’d probably advise against people who are just getting into the swing of fingerboarding and board climbing bothering with it, I reckon there’s bigger fish to fry when you’re just starting out.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#11 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 09:48:39 pm
I literally can't get my pinky bent 90 degrees at the PIP joint and on the same edge as my other fingers. Huh.

You have to cock your wrist quite a bit compared to the half crimp position, feels quite unnatural to me in comparison.

YorkshireTea

• regular
#12 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 09:56:12 pm
Another person who can't get their pinky to crimp here

What point were people starting at that have managed to get it to work for them?
I have to push my DIP joint down with my other hand and it wants to pop back to bent and often will, its less likely to under more load but feels uncomfortable

Wellsy

• forum hero
#13 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 08, 2022, 10:09:04 pm
I pissed around on a fingerboard for a while trying to find any position where my pinkie bent like that and no chance. I think it might be due to the size and shape of my hands.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#14 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 07:24:44 am
I pissed around on a fingerboard for a while trying to find any position where my pinkie bent like that and no chance. I think it might be due to the size and shape of my hands.

What position is your little finger in when full crimping? This grip should essentially be the same position for the fingers as that just without the thumb over!

Bradders

• forum hero
#15 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 07:36:08 am
It's certainly an unnatural feeling when you get started, and even now whilst warming into it tbh. But it gets so much better.

My hypothesis for why this is a helpful thing to train is that when full crimping, whilst mechanically it is an extremely strong / locked grip type your thumb is doing a lot of work, taking the strain off the rest of your fingers. This means your other fingers, and especially your pinky, aren't being stressed as much as they could be and therefore strength gains are limited. Removing the thumb from the equation forces a greater degree of adaptation potential in the fingers, as well as ensuring that you train the pinky in the position it's going to be used in when actually climbing.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 07:41:32 am
I've spent the last 9 months training exactly this for exactly the same reasons and can confirm it's very trainable and the gains are quite impressive.

Firstly I spent around 8 weeks doing twice a week sessions of long hangs in full crimp (with thumb) at bodyweight on the BM2K small crimps. I was doing 4-6 20s hangs. These felt very intense at the time and took a lot of recovering from.

Once I started to notice it was feeling a lot more casual I started consciously employing full crimp on the board and whilst bouldering as much as possible even on bigger edges. This is where the real gainz started because suddenly I realised as mentioned by several above how fecking hard it is to keep the pinky engaged and also how intensely full crimp loads the knuckle of the index finger.

Basically over the course of about 4-5 months I went from barely being able to hang a decent full crimp with bodyweight and never using it on the wall, to being able to comfortably one arm the BM2K middle slot in full crimp for a few seconds and got much stronger on small edges that I'd always struggled with. I can't recommend it enough.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#17 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 08:59:52 am

What position is your little finger in when full crimping? This grip should essentially be the same position for the fingers as that just without the thumb over!

When full crimping both the joints in my little finger are at around 45 degrees

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#18 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 09:28:47 am
If both your joints were at 45 then your fingernail would be digging into your hand 😂

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#19 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 09:37:06 am
someone needs a trig lesson.

Eddies

• forum hero
#20 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 09:37:49 am
There’s no harm in finger-boarding full crimp if you’re used to crimping.

Fifteen years of finger-boarding and training on a board had ‘trained’ me to prefer half-crimp over full crimp; and I found that outside on limestone I was subconsciously half crimping everything instead of utilising the full power of the full crimp that I used a lot before I stared finger-boarding.
So in recent years I always perform a few hangs at full crimp at the end of my warmup during every f-board session, to remind myself how to full crimp!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#21 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 09:58:10 am
I full crimp reluctantly too, but working on a problem at the moment where you have to full crump a hold to hang it, so have included some full crimping in training for the first time in a while.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#22 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 10:10:27 am
There’s truth in the saying: don’t use it, you lose it.
I know Buster did a few posts about training full crimp on his Instagram some time back.
Ned’s book, beastmaking also covers full crimp training too.

I’ve never been competent at full crimping. But started using full crimp on easier boulder problems  once warmed up (Especially on the Moonboard) help my confidence and competence with the full crimp.
Over time, I increased to intensity of problems using the full crimp. A simple principle of increasing intensity to create gains.

IMO: The mental aspect of full crimping with confidence shouldn’t be over looked.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#23 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 10:27:46 am
If both your joints were at 45 then your fingernail would be digging into your hand 😂

Lol yeah sorry they are both 135 degrees

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#24 Re: Hangboarding in the full crimp position
September 09, 2022, 11:18:22 am
It's quite funny to see that most people don't like crimping. When I'm climbing something fairly hard, I will look to crimp everything, to utilize my best grip. In this video I take a second on moves 2 and 3 to find the correct part of the hold - they are slopers, but I'm searching for a slight ripple on each hold to full crimp. As soon as I learnt to grip the holds this way, I was locked in and the problem was dispatched shortly afterwards (great Bonjoy boulder by the way!).

There are downsides to crimping everything. Achy fingers aside, I find it can sometimes limit the mobility of my shoulders in certain positions, and it tends to reduce how hard I can pull with the biceps in comparison with an open grip.  Clearly, being well rounded is the best approach. It seems most of you have to consciously add crimping into board sessions, whereas I generally ban myself from crimping on the board!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal