UKBouldering.com

Shoulder consultant recommendations - Sheffield (Read 1482 times)

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Sadly(!), I'm sure there will be some experience / knowledge of the best shoulder surgeons amongst the UKB collective.

Looking for names of top shoulder consultants, ideally practising at the Northern General (or privately - eg. Claremont).  Even better if they are climber friendly, or have extensive experience of successfully re-building broken climbers...

Anyone got any recommendations (or even consultants to definitely avoid!)?

Ta.  Neil

battery

• obsessive maniac
No Sheffield recommendations I'm afraid as I'm Manchester way on but just wanted to say welcome to the f****d shoulder club. Hoping you get sorted soon and recovered quickly.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Not me - a friend.  But I’ll pass your welcome on  :)

Hope yours is on the mend…

Neil

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Any suggestions, anyone…?

webbo

• forum hero
I don’t know of any Sheffield shoulder consultants but Len Funk in Manchester is supposed to be one of the best. I had my shoulder repaired by Simon Boyle who is Leeds,York based who did a great job on mine.

SamT

• forum hero
I know Seb Greive has had a couple of ops in sheffield over the last couple of years.  He's active on Facebook, and might be lurk on here, I'll mention it if see him this weekend.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Thanks both.

Neil

T_B

• forum hero
Val Jones is a recommended shoulder and elbow physio in Sheffield. I guess she’s not going to recommend a specific surgeon, but she may give you some names?

https://cityphysio-sheffield.co.uk/the-team/val-jones.html

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Thanks Tom.

Anyone else...?

crzylgs

• stalker
I'm not a surgeon or physio and as you're looking for a surgeon it seems your friends shoulder is in a bad way :/ I've had my fair share of iffy shoulder / rotator cuff injuries but never had surgery. Just wanted to share the rehab exercise that I identify as helping out the most through my various injuries and flare ups:

Incline (30 degrees) bench I/Y/Ts.

Over the years I've done all sorts of prehab / rehab on my shitty shoulder. For a long period felt like I was a permanent injury risk and would avoid any move remotely dynamic even when I was feeling relatively strong. Had done the usual standing I/Y/Ts (along with a host of other exercises) with dumbbells or using bands but it wasn't until I started doing them religiously on an incline bench (initially very low weight dumbbells or even with no added weight, then slowly building up) that I really noticed a positive change.

Highly recommend people work it into their warm up or shoulder care sessions.

All the best to your friend sorting out their damaged shoulder.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Thanks crzy - that's good advice  :)

ChrisC

• menacing presence
Hi Neil.  David Potter did my shoulder, plus 2 mates as well.  Nothing bad to say and all with good outcomes a few years on.

http://www.sheffieldorthopaedics.com/home/orthopaedic_specialties/shoulder_and_elbow/surgeon/?sid=77&surgeon=David_Potter

He's not a climber, but being Sheffield based then he said he sees plenty of climbers shoulders.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Thanks Chris - that's great to hear.

Neil

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal