UKBouldering.com

More accurate power-to-weight handicap calculation. (Read 9230 times)

User deactivated.

• forum hero
I've found strong legs to be extremely beneficial for steep bouldering. As a former weightlifter and heavy squatter, I'm never going to have small legs, in fact they are still my largest muscle group (relative to where they should be), but the only time I find them a disadvantage is when cutting loose. Perhaps crucially, good mobility is needed in combination with the beef so that the power can be put to use in weird positions. Just gain a couple of kg's on your max hangs to make up for the muscle weight  :thumbsup:
Yeah nice one thunder-thighs...

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Okay so it's not exactly Megos REDS sparrow legs but that's hardly beef there and quite clearly you've got a body well athletically honed and balanced for climbing, so you can wheesht with all this "heavy legs are good for climbing" shite.

That's a bit uncalled for isn't it!? OK, so you've cherrypicked a few stills where my legs aren't flexed in order to call me skinny, but here are the facts of the matter:

I've lost 5kg since I made the post you quoted from last year (I don't know why, i've been the same weight for years and have rapidly started loosing weight this year having changed nothing. The photo on Before the Rain is the lightest i've ever been as an adult).
I just measured my thighs and right now they are 24 inches diameter when flexed at the widest point. They were probably an inch or so bigger when I made the post.
I'm 6'2, so I'm never going to look bulky in a photo.
I can still squat 150kg+ ATG and deadlift ~200kg.

Strong legs are good for climbing.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 11:21:36 am by Liamhutch89 »

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
I've found strong legs to be extremely beneficial for steep bouldering. As a former weightlifter and heavy squatter, I'm never going to have small legs, in fact they are still my largest muscle group (relative to where they should be), but the only time I find them a disadvantage is when cutting loose. Perhaps crucially, good mobility is needed in combination with the beef so that the power can be put to use in weird positions. Just gain a couple of kg's on your max hangs to make up for the muscle weight  :thumbsup:

Okay so it's not exactly Megos REDS sparrow legs but that's hardly beef there and quite clearly you've got a body well athletically honed and balanced for climbing, so you can wheesht with all this "heavy legs are good for climbing" shite.

That's a bit uncalled for isn't it!? OK, so you've cherrypicked a few stills where my legs aren't flexed in order to call me skinny, but here are the facts of the matter:

I've lost 5kg since I made the post you quoted from last year (I don't know why, i've been the same weight for years and have rapidly started loosing weight this year having changed nothing. The photo on Before the Rain is the lightest i've ever been as an adult).
I just measured my thighs and right now they are 24 inches diameter when flexed at the widest point. They were probably an inch or so bigger when I made the post.

Off topic but I hope you've spoken with your doctor about this. Sudden weight loss after years of weight stability is a massive red flag for things like cancer. Don't want to be dramatic but definitely something to be careful about.

User deactivated.

• forum hero

Off topic but I hope you've spoken with your doctor about this. Sudden weight loss after years of weight stability is a massive red flag for things like cancer. Don't want to be dramatic but definitely something to be careful about.

Thank you for the concern. I'm not actually registered to a Doctor/GP  :oops:

I will monitor, but haven't been too worried yet as I haven't lost any strength and in the last couple of weeks I've managed to regain a kilo, but i'm having to force feed a bit for it.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Liam what was your max squat? Pretty cool that you can still bang out 150

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Liam what was your max squat? Pretty cool that you can still bang out 150

I never maxed out on squats in my peak weightlifting form, but I remember doing 180kg for 5 with pauses at the bottom. I was a lot bigger and heavier than I am now though.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Must have been well over 200kgs then

I started squatting a lot and oly lifting a bit this year. 120kgs PB only so far but hoping to push that past 130kgs this year. Pause squats seemingly very good for it from what I hear!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
That's a bit uncalled for isn't it!? OK, so you've cherrypicked a few stills where my legs aren't flexed in order to call me skinny,
I never called you skinny. I'm just crushingly disappointed because I excepted this:

And instead got a climbing beast  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal