UKBouldering.com

Strength gains in mid 40s (Read 13569 times)

Eddies

• forum hero
#100 Re: Strength gains in mid 40s
August 25, 2022, 08:17:53 pm
If you purely want to exercise to burn fat, unless you have a lot of time for very long rides or runs, go for short high intensity sessions; speed intervals or hill intervals. They will hurt (by that i don't mean injuring yourself) but they will work.
Because I'd blow chunks!!
Does feet-on campusing qualify as cardio!?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#101 Re: Strength gains in mid 40s
August 25, 2022, 09:51:13 pm
Depends if you keep it up for half an hour or more.

Wanting to blow chunks is a crucial part of hill reps. Once you reach that point only a few more to go.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#102 Re: Strength gains in mid 40s
August 26, 2022, 08:37:30 am
Thank you for the supportive comments above everyone.  Paul B, re pandemic motivation loss, probably the most influential factor is that its more difficult to find climbing partners,  unless,  like you,  your partner also climbs. Motivation is easily lost when you have to hunt down someone who wants to go to the same crag. Of course,  I could just boulder instead...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#103 Re: Strength gains in mid 40s
August 26, 2022, 10:17:52 am
I could just boulder instead...

As per earlier, that's what happened when my partner  / climbing partner and I had to start sharing parental responsibilites.

I know what you mean though, I can remember the frustration, but also having one of my best days soloing ever at Rylstone when my planned partner didn't pitch.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#104 Re: Strength gains in mid 40s
August 26, 2022, 01:48:42 pm
I found the pandemic was great for having climbing partners available because no-one was going off on holiday and lots of people were working from home so could get out earlier in the evenings.

I only really do lowish-grade ground-up trad these days though which makes me and the people I climb with a lot more flexible on venue.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#105 Re: Strength gains in mid 40s
August 26, 2022, 08:13:16 pm
Thank you for the supportive comments above everyone.  Paul B, re pandemic motivation loss, probably the most influential factor is that its more difficult to find climbing partners,  unless,  like you,  your partner also climbs. Motivation is easily lost when you have to hunt down someone who wants to go to the same crag. Of course,  I could just boulder instead...
An interesting alternative is to get injured enough that you can't go to any of the usual, reliable "easy to meet people" sport crags in the Peak / Yorkshire. And of course can't just boulder instead... Definitely adds a bit of flavour to the situation.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#106 Re: Strength gains in mid 40s
August 27, 2022, 05:33:56 pm
An interesting alternative is to get injured enough that you can't go to any of the usual, reliable "easy to meet people" sport crags in the Peak / Yorkshire. And of course can't just boulder instead... Definitely adds a bit of flavour to the situation.

Is this where you are? I'm far too weak to make it worth going to the Yorkshire crags or most of the decent peak venues. Easy trad on the other hand...

mark s

• junky
#107 Re: Strength gains in mid 40s
September 11, 2022, 07:03:57 pm
i just mirror what tom briggs said early on , fingers are still strong .im still relatively strong from 10 years of lifting weights even though i havent for 3 years. what is very noticable is explosive power. if i was bothered and wanted to sort the issue id just target those moves. find problems at the wall or outdoors that trigger those muscles.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal