Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: November 02, 2004, 02:20:18 pm

Winter is here (Read 9871 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#25 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 05:45:39 pm
[Pantontino, do you see yourself swinging an axe this winter, given some decent conditions?]

I live in hope, but I usually don't bother thinking about it (too much) until the New Year. Right now there is just one piece of rock dominating my waking thoughts, and it ain't covered in rime.[/quote]

AndyR

• forum hero
#26 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 06:12:45 pm
Turning back the clock always brings on an unpleasant sense of melancholy in me - I like the idea of nice conditions, but the unremitting dark and drizzle gets me down     :alco:

But saying that, I'm off to font for a long weekend this thursday, so it's not all bad  :clap:

OZ

#27 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 06:48:15 pm
I get dejected at the thought of spending evenings indoors at the chalk & child infested wall. However, I fully intend firing up the gas lamps and getting some evening sessions in again. Last year spent most of my evenings at Frodsham until about 7 or 8pm. Very cold but dry and top conditions all round. No Kids and definately no queing!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#28 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 06:49:41 pm
I would be physched if I didn't split my index tip in three places yesterday. Broughton power for me & worm tonight. Gonna spend most of it on the campus board. It the way forward I recon

squeek

• junky
#29 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 07:14:15 pm
I'm pysched for getting on something really hard, but reckon I'm actually going to try and not climb as much for a few weeks  :? .  Reason being I think I've been doing quite of hard (for me) climbing both indoors and outdoors, and I could do with a little breather.  Otherwise I might end up just another boulderer who talks about codfinger a lot.   :P
Although I don't fancy my chances once they open upstairs at B-UK and it's dark after work.

Quote from: "Stubbs"
came within a gnat's whisker of Dolphin Belly Slap and Demon Wall Roof on sunday - two problems that were sat firmly in the long term projects drawer.

I ticked DBS on Sunday (just, using hardly any technique), and ticked DWR the week before, I've never seen Almscliff so busy.   Although busy-ness  does have it's advantages, eg having 6 mats under Syrett's Roof for repeated lobs off the top.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#30 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 07:19:45 pm
I'm psyched for a bit of the old winter sun Uber cold and dry, I am also really obsessive at the moment about steffan grossman on the langdale boulders. I'm only talking about the standing start here not the V11 sitting, but i got my hand over the top on monday so with a bit of luck it'll go next time.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#31 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 07:26:25 pm
1.Psyched for a month of one-handed climbing! Injuries can piss off, I'm still climbing.
2.Psyched to clean up the lancs quarries and find some cool projects.
3.Psyched to work on them as soon as my left arm is better.
4.Psyched to climb, climb, climb.
5.Ahh...not very psyched to find a job. Unless it involves getting paid for being creative. Anyone need any articles/novels/etc. writing? ;)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#32 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 08:19:24 pm
out of my tiny mind

dave

#33 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 09:34:34 pm
Quote from: "Jim"
I would be physched if I didn't split my index tip in three places yesterday.

why didn't you just go home after the first crag? :roll:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#34 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 11:45:33 pm
Its the first time I've been able to climb in the last year without a fucked shoulder.

I'm ready to squeeze those rocks until they yield their fruits

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#35 Winter is here
November 02, 2004, 11:54:55 pm
Completely PSYCHED for winter ause out here it means almost 6 months with little or no rain, cool temperatures, and low hunidity - given the hellish heat of summer we've just endured i'm well up for it.

Add in the fact that i've already beasted my way up most of the problems i was working on at the end of last winter and its shaping up to be a good season.................

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#36 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 09:26:41 am
I'm well psyched to get rid of the cold / general illness I've had for the last 3 weeks and actually do a bit of climbing....oh yeah and for something that actually pretends to be dry weather too, I've forgotten what that's like...

Stubbs

#37 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 09:37:21 am
Quote from: "squeek"

I've never seen Almscliff so busy.

It was absolutely ridiculous - there was contunuous matting from demon wall roof all the way to the wall. Another couple of weeks though and the cold will put most off - thankfully :twisted:

Although busy-ness  does have it's advantages, eg having 6 mats under Syrett's Roof for repeated lobs off the top.

DWS and DBS but no Syrett's? i hope you sent it before you left?

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#38 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 02:18:05 pm
totally psyched for a great winter of pulling down. Back in first year of uni so got loads of time off too

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#39 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 04:54:46 pm
The bird just totally dumped my ass, so I've got nothing better to do than go climbing.  Time to start applying what I've learnt on the campus board to some real rock. :roll:   See you at the crag, I'll be the one falling off and complaining that "it's not like climbing indoors".

Graeme

• menacing presence
#40 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 05:05:06 pm
Totally psyched for the winter, but I'm sure it'll all go to shit when I put my back out in a few weeks. :roll:

Still should have a few things done by then the nose, New Jerusalem.

I've never seen Almscliff so busy
It was absolutely ridiculous - there was contunuous matting from demon wall roof all the way to the wall. Another couple of weeks though and the cold will put most off - thankfully  

Seen it busier, when the masses from Leeds wall come out on a damp Sunday afternoon. The rest of winter they go places where no one else does.

squeek

• junky
#41 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 06:27:41 pm
Quote from: "Stubbs"
Although busy-ness  does have it's advantages, eg having 6 mats under Syrett's Roof for repeated lobs off the top.

DWS and DBS but no Syrett's? i hope you sent it before you left?

Certainly didn't!   :oops:  Skin was a bit wrecked from pulling on wet crimps at Widdop on Saturday, but I can't use that as too much of an excuse becuase I did DBS after failing on Syrett's.  So.. erm, erm,    :idea:   I left it as something to look forward to next time   :8) .

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#42 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 06:30:26 pm
Quote from: "dave"
Quote from: "Jim"
I would be physched if I didn't split my index tip in three places yesterday.

why didn't you just go home after the first crag? :roll:

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Cool hand luke

#43 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 08:35:20 pm
I'm always psyched. But i'm super psyched about this winter for some reason. :)

RT

#44 Winter is here
November 03, 2004, 10:05:57 pm
psyched but drinking my way through a cold grrrrrr!!!!!

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#45 Winter is here
November 04, 2004, 01:02:48 am
Psyched for winter? Yeah, I am (but I've got another 6 months to wait) 'cos we're not for off summer here and its hard as fuck to climb in the heat.  Man, my skin is trashed.

I'm off to by a gas-lamp and boulder at night........... :roll:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#46 Winter is here
November 04, 2004, 08:10:22 am
Carnage, the surf would get me through a summer in Sydney. You having a go? :8)

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#47 Winter is here
November 04, 2004, 09:34:39 am
Me? Surf?  :lol:  I've got the balance of a one-legged spastic.

Just gotta get used to having red-raw weeping fingers for quite a while.  :evil:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#48 Winter is here
November 04, 2004, 01:47:08 pm
Then learn to body-board then. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. :lol:

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#49 Winter is here
November 08, 2004, 11:18:04 pm
trying resist a crappy forboding feeling myself - seem to have spent all summer falling off the same old problems and now find it difficult to imagine doing anything else.  Anyone else had this - is it best to take a break from projects or just to keep on plugging away?

Ah well - fairly new to this bouldering lark so perhaps the magic of "conditions" will surprise me.... Regardless of its effects on friction though - this winter thing of waking up for work in the dark, and going home in the dark, seriously fucking sucks... I'm going to get rickets at this rate.

I'd suggest giving the old projects a break. Nothing improves psyche better than sending new problems. Go somewhere else for a few sessions, do some new things, then come back and get on those projects in good conditions--you'll be well pleased!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal