UKBouldering.com

cragx Dale (Read 9629 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#25 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 08:26:17 am
Anyone know how much they paid, could the BMC have afforded some or all of it?

I would guess that it would have been in the region of £500-700k. The BMC has a reserve of £1.1m. This is an emergency rainy day fund that needs to be preserved so I would say that they couldn’t afford it. IIRC the CC reserve is bigger.

Even if they could afford it would they want to? All crags acquired so far have been for nominal sums or gifted where owners wanted to despatch responsibility / liability and the BMC wouldn't want to create a market where they are seen as a soft touch for crag landowners.

Also how important is the land to climbers and hillwalkers and therefore the BMC? Even I wouldn’t argue that the crag x is of national importance and similarly couldn’t see crowdfunding (which could support a BMC purchase) coming anywhere near that amount.

Obviously this is all academic as the crag has been bought.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 09:00:24 am
We need someone more local, I’m gonna throw Harry Styles in the ring.

Can we throw him in a pit instead

Carliios

#27 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 10:32:03 am
Anyone know how much they paid, could the BMC have afforded some or all of it?
Also how important is the land to climbers and hillwalkers and therefore the BMC? Even I wouldn’t argue that the crag x is of national importance and similarly couldn’t see crowdfunding (which could support a BMC purchase) coming anywhere near that amount.

Agreed. I can’t see people wanting to chip in to save a crag that’s essentially kept secret and off the books, if it was a stanage plantation type deal then yeah I imagine people would race to put money in to save it but crag x is a tiny hardcore venue that people outside of a small subset don’t really know about.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#28 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 10:59:20 am
I don't know much about Peak Lime but surely it has historical value? Isn't this the venue with Superman, Sean's Roof etc?lf it is this crag then I would maybe disagree that only a "small subset" of people know about.
I've never been though😊.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#29 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 11:08:15 am
I don't know much about Peak Lime but surely it has historical value? Isn't this the venue with Superman, Sean's Roof etc?lf it is this crag then I would maybe disagree that only a "small subset" of people know about.
I've never been though😊.

It's where Superman is. Sean's Roof is in Blackwell Dale. I love X but for me the biggest issue with this is for the locals of cragx and Ravensdale cottages plus everyone who walks through this valley. It's a truly beautiful and peaceful spot, I don't want to see people's caravans or tents around the place.

I'm speaking to a friend who lives in cragx tomorrow too find out more from a locals perspective.

Carliios

#30 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 11:15:57 am
I've never been though😊.

What I meant from small subset is that to have enough people to cover the purchase would require A LOT of climbers pitching in. Even though X is historic it’s still a hardcore venue that’s kept “secret” - you can’t expect enough people to put money in to cover the purchase of the land. It’s not like a major venue.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 11:23:31 am
[quote author=sherlock link=topic=32034.msg663753#msg663753 date=1659434

It's where Superman is. Sean's Roof is in Blackwell Dale. I love X but for me the biggest issue with this is for the locals of cragx and Ravensdale cottages plus everyone who walks through this valley. It's a truly beautiful and peaceful spot, I don't want to see people's caravans or tents around the place.

I'm speaking to a friend who lives in cragx tomorrow too find out more from a locals perspective.
Ah, right.Totally get this.
I've never been though😊.

What I meant from small subset is that to have enough people to cover the purchase would require A LOT of climbers pitching in. Even though X is historic it’s still a hardcore venue that’s kept “secret” - you can’t expect enough people to put money in to cover the purchase of the land. It’s not like a major venue.
Yep, can't disagree with that.
Just realized that I did a load of trad at Ravensdale in the 70s. Really lovely spot.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:33:19 am by sherlock »

Eddies

• forum hero
#33 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 12:22:54 pm
Good luck with growing enough food to feed a commune all year round in cragx dale!

At that altitude the growing season is very short and this far north its very late, plus the steep sides of the valley will cast much of the valley in shadow during the winter months.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#34 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 12:27:59 pm
Even though X is historic it’s still a hardcore venue that’s kept “secret”

The reason for the 'secrecy' is that it is part of the access agreement negotiated between the BMC and Natural England. The lower part of the dale, has on paper no public access to protect a rare moss which at the time was thought to grow nowhere else in the world (though I believe it has since been found at a site in Cumbria). Access for climbing was agreed on two conditions - only Crag X is visited and not the river below or crags opposite, and the climbing has not been detailed in guidebooks post Stoney '87. Unfortunately in the internet era such control over information has somewhat evaporated, but for the avoidance of doubt climbing photos or videos here should not be posted online. Of course not having the crag in guidebooks does limit the ability to get this message out.

Ravensdale crag is not affected, being the other side of the valley.

Carliios

#35 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 12:36:40 pm

The reason for the 'secrecy' is that it is part of the access agreement negotiated between the BMC and Natural England. The lower part of the dale, has on paper no public access to protect a rare moss which at the time was thought to grow nowhere else in the world (though I believe it has since been found at a site in Cumbria). Access for climbing was agreed on two conditions - only Crag X is visited and not the river below or crags opposite, and the climbing has not been detailed in guidebooks post Stoney '87. Unfortunately in the internet era such control over information has somewhat evaporated, but for the avoidance of doubt climbing photos or videos here should not be posted online. Of course not having the crag in guidebooks does limit the ability to get this message out.

Ravensdale crag is not affected, being the other side of the valley.

This is going a bit off topic mate, I wasn’t saying that it being secret is a bad thing, just that it means it’s less well known and thus less likely to bring in the number of donations necessary to purchase the land and save it!

galpinos

• forum hero
#36 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 12:39:21 pm
Had a brief look at that website... What I really want to know is who on earth is paying her £250 a pop for 'business mentoring'?

Assuming her Dragon's Den/Red Letter Days legacy?

petejh

• forum hero
#37 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 12:41:20 pm
Good luck with growing enough food to feed a commune all year round in cragx dale!

At that altitude the growing season is very short and this far north its very late, plus the steep sides of the valley will cast much of the valley in shadow during the winter months.

They'll have plenty of bullshit for fertiliser.

Carliios

#38 Re: cragx Dale
August 02, 2022, 12:42:13 pm
for the avoidance of doubt climbing photos or videos here should not be posted online.

Doesn’t seem to stop all the wads posting videos of their sends of superman  :worms:

Eddies

• forum hero
#39 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 12:29:04 pm
Turns out they’ve been chopping trees down in the wood so much so that the councils put TPO’s on the rest of them!

Notice that she's selling her house in Bakewell:
https://assets.savills.com/properties/GBNTRSCLI204804/CLI204804_NTS20004828.PDF

She lived in Thornbridge hall for a time with her husband and children. They setup some kind of commune there, with other families staying there in other rooms. Her husband and her were all part of a big government fiddle where they setup a back-to-work training scheme and claimed millions of government money for trainees that didn't exist! It all got swept under the carpet under Camerons government and Rachel let the country to stay in Goa for a year until it all blew over.

Their Thornbridge hall have upset the Peak Park by building a big car park and a path off the Monsal Trail to drawn tourists to their cafe, all without planning permission. But the Peak Park seem fairly powerless to stand up to them.
It certainly doesn't bode well for Cress'brook Dale :(

SA Chris

• forum hero
#40 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 01:16:37 pm
all looks like a bit of a horrorshow.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#41 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 01:36:52 pm
all looks like a bit of a horrorshow.

I know, right? They keep a decent cellar but that bathroom looks like it's been designed by Llewellyn-Bowen during a Sangria binge. There's an animal skin in front of the log burner and not a single healing crystal in the place; the chakras in the gaff must be all over the show.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#42 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 02:06:41 pm
The Feng is a shambles, nice wee hoose mind.

I mean the situation and the people obv. But I guess you knew that. 

gme

• forum hero
#43 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 02:51:12 pm
[quote author=Eddies link=topic=32034.msg663834#msg663834 date=165961254

She lived in Thornbridge hall for a time with her husband and children. They setup some kind of commune there, with other families staying there in other rooms. Her husband and her were all part of a big government fiddle where they setup a back-to-work training scheme and claimed millions of government money for trainees that didn't exist! It all got swept under the carpet under Camerons government and Rachel let the country to stay in Goa for a year until it all blew over.

Their Thornbridge hall have upset the Peak Park by building a big car park and a path off the Monsal Trail to drawn tourists to their cafe, all without planning permission. But the Peak Park seem fairly powerless to stand up to them.
It certainly doesn't bode well for Cress'brook Dale :(
[/quote]

Was that not Emma harrison A4e

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#44 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 04:24:36 pm
Yes - that was Emma Harrison

Rachel Elnaigh’s Wikipedia bio

galpinos

• forum hero
#45 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 05:38:08 pm
Yes - that was Emma Harrison

Rachel Elnaigh’s Wikipedia bio

The link in there to her website is a nice little treat......  ;D

JamieG

• forum hero
#46 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 05:49:38 pm
Wow, her webpage is something to behold. The number of different font, colours, sizes, random pictures is amazing. It reminds of my early days on the internet when people first started putting up their own unique homepages and they all had crazy garish backgrounds and word art galore! Kind of sad the modern internet is so polished and streamlined, but at least it looks nicer.

The original space jam website is a classic example that is still up https://www.spacejam.com/1996/

Carliios

#47 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 05:58:31 pm
Wow, her webpage is something to behold. The number of different font, colours, sizes, random pictures is amazing. It reminds of my early days on the internet when people first started putting up their own unique homepages and they all had crazy garish backgrounds and word art galore! Kind of sad the modern internet is so polished and streamlined, but at least it looks nicer.

The original space jam website is a classic example that is still up https://www.spacejam.com/1996/

Reminds me of this
http://www.homerswebpage.com/

SA Chris

• forum hero
#48 Re: cragx Dale
August 04, 2022, 06:58:38 pm
or this, that i found trying to remember the name of the pub next to Castlerigg Camping

http://www.theheightshotel.co.uk/

Hydraulic Man

• player

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal