UKBouldering.com

Dan’s book (Read 11931 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#100 Re: Dan’s book
October 17, 2023, 08:49:33 am
conspiracy nuts are perfectly able to dress their inane believes in something akin to rational arguments, but if you challenge one argument they never change their mind but quickly change to another line of argument to spout whatever ignorance their father/the pope/elon musk or whomever taught them. Their belief in authority is much stronger than their willingness to learn about the world from rational discourse.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#101 Re: Dan’s book
October 17, 2023, 09:55:49 am
conspiracy nuts are perfectly able to dress their inane believes in something akin to rational arguments, but if you challenge one argument they never change their mind but quickly change to another line of argument to spout whatever ignorance their father/the pope/elon musk or whomever taught them. Their belief in authority is much stronger than their willingness to learn about the world from rational discourse.

This is painful for everyone. I don’t see a huge difference between conspiracy nuts, religious extremists and, frankly, quite ordinary people who have their tea leaves read or believe in astrology.
Comfort in the thought that someone or something in in control (even if that control is malicious).
I’m feeling a bit adrift myself right now.
There’s been so much chatter around the idea that Hamas is attempting to lure Israel in to Gaza and that a “surprise” awaits them there. The Iranian “warning “ today giving those rumours meat. How bad might that surprise be? Is it real at all?
Even if you think you are a “rational thinker “ it can be tough to know when you’re just being paranoid or legitimately concerned. After all, bad shit actually does happen, there really are conspiracies and sometimes “they” really don’t tell you everything.
(Two carrier groups. That’s a lot. One has enough firepower to eclipse WW2).
I’m exaggerating for effect here, I guess what I’m trying to say is, I haven’t a clue how it should be dealt with. I see it more as an illness and yet, also,  feel that the perpetrators of such shit should be punished. 🤷🏻‍♂️

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#102 Re: Dan’s book
October 17, 2023, 10:17:25 am
Dan Cheetham asked me to flag up that he has been working on a website for an upcoming book:

https://www.modernclimber.co.uk

There are some (short) sample pages on the website.

Response = positive

Dan has produced a fanzine. If anyone wants a copy get in touch with him via Instagram
https://instagram.com/mod3rn_climb3r?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

Response = shitstorm

I can’t say I gave a lot of thought to linking Dan’s fanzine. I did it because Dan asked and I thought some members would be interested particularly as he was active as a member before.

My personal view was that it was largely incomprehensible and Redhead like but could relate to the theme of railing against modern climbing media although it became repetitive. I quickly gave up on the rest as it was perplexing and I couldn’t untangle what’s was or wasn’t a joke. I thought most would similarly look at it find it diverting and on the whole shrug it off.

Given the response I’m sorry I posted the link. I didn’t anticipate doing so would upset and anger people.

I’ll happily take this thread down if that’s what is generally wanted. I think most know I’m personally only really interested in climbing threads and would be happy to do away altogether with political ones.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 11:08:59 am by shark »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#103 Re: Dan’s book
October 17, 2023, 11:04:45 am
Log pile?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#104 Re: Dan’s book
October 17, 2023, 11:07:10 am
Long overdue. IMO Dan played you and the rest UKB just how he wanted, as webbo pointed out earlier.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#105 Re: Dan’s book
October 17, 2023, 11:16:54 am
Long overdue. IMO Dan played you and the rest UKB just how he wanted, as webbo pointed out earlier.

Thanks Chris. Done

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#106 Re: Dan’s book
October 17, 2023, 01:28:20 pm

I might be completely wrong but I don’t believe Dan’s primary motivation is hate. I’m not denying there’s some stuff in there that’s pretty distasteful, but my reading of much of his output is to deliberately be provocative and at times inappropriate as a kind of satire on where he thinks society is going and to get people to think about that… as Adam quite eloquently put it, some of his stuff is interesting and it’s a shame it’s mired down in a lot of bullshit. I think everyone should be careful before branding him as quite the evil unsavoury character it seems he’s being painted as….

I've spent a lot of time online on climbing forums (especially since my retirement in 2020) debunking covid, vaccination and lockdown conspiracies, highlighting racism (especially Islamophobia and Anti-Semitism), calling out gender hatred and arguing against the really stupid idea of absolute freedom of speech. Dan was the only person I didn't already know, who, when challenged (on covid/vaccination), made an effort to engage offline in a genuine human way, even admitting he was probably wrong in various communications, after I respectfully explained what was definitely incorrect with the conspiracy links he posted.

The bad actors who spread covid/vaccination conspiracies play a really dirty game that have plausibility that is hard to argue against without significant understanding of the detailed faulty nature of the 'snake oil' sales arguments. It's still ongoing now in major news outlets...  just read the full on anti-lockdown spin in the Telegraph on what Prof Woolhouse actually said to the covid inquiry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67125230

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal