UKBouldering.com

Glassy Skin (Read 2006 times)

surfziggy

Glassy Skin
July 07, 2022, 03:55:25 am
I 'suffer' from dry skin, I also live in a warm humid place (Queensland). Recently I've been having a lot of trouble with pinging off holds due to my slippery skin. I seem to have developed a very tough layer of glassy skin on my fingertips. Does anyone else have this issue? What's been your strategy for dealing with it?

Previously I climbed a lot on very rough sandstone and never had this issue, up here there is a lot of polished volcanic rock and so it's much more of an issue.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Glassy Skin
July 07, 2022, 06:49:35 am
Sandpaper your tips! If the sandstone does the trick when climbing - sandpaper should work! :)

haydn jones

• forum hero
#2 Re: Glassy Skin
July 07, 2022, 07:23:59 am
Use rhino skin spit before climbing... Or just spit on them to get some moisture into the tips.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Glassy Skin
April 28, 2023, 12:38:11 pm
My sink is on the dry side, this is mostly an advantage but I occasionally ping off small holds if I'm trying hard. The Careless Talk advertorial for Rhino Skin had the odd nugget and suggested I might benefit from moisturising (no shit...). Any suggestions for a product that is cheaper than £15 for a tiny bottle? I cultivated a huge Aloe Vera (the active ingredient of 'spit' as far as I can tell) in my old office, don't have access to this now, but interested in 'growing my own' if this is a reasonable option.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Glassy Skin
April 28, 2023, 01:02:26 pm
Where in QLD? I recently bouldered a bit on Magnetic Island, and the rock did a good job of removing any skin (glassy or otherwise) from my tips. Amazing place though.

jwills

#5 Re: Glassy Skin
April 28, 2023, 02:57:08 pm
another plug from me for rhino spit. i only actually started using this (over actual spit) because i climb on my home board with a few friends and during the peak of covid was getting a few sideways glances for the poor infection control practice that was spitting and then climbing.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#6 Re: Glassy Skin
April 28, 2023, 03:38:33 pm
My sink is on the dry side, this is mostly an advantage but I occasionally ping off small holds if I'm trying hard. The Careless Talk advertorial for Rhino Skin had the odd nugget and suggested I might benefit from moisturising (no shit...). Any suggestions for a product that is cheaper than £15 for a tiny bottle? I cultivated a huge Aloe Vera (the active ingredient of 'spit' as far as I can tell) in my old office, don't have access to this now, but interested in 'growing my own' if this is a reasonable option.

I found that those water aerosol sprays, for cooling your face work well. Plus the water is from the Alps  ;)

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Glassy Skin
April 28, 2023, 07:18:56 pm

CeraVe Reparative Hand Balm - it’s 6 quid for a small bottle haha but works wonders for my dry skin and then yeah rhino spit for climbing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal