sign up for stackoverflow.com. 99% of the time any problem I ever have has already been asked and answered by someone else. In the other 1%, as long as you provide a minimal reproducible example, people respond very fast.
Things I've learnt so far: 1) Being good at googling the right question is more important than being able to remember everything.
2) Lots has changed since I did this in college in 2012.
3) Visual systems are like toprope aid climbing and should be avoided.
4) An almost ridiculous amount of education is available for free!? Curious to hear about good free/cheap resources.
I'd suggest that fairly early on you decide whether your main focus will be front-end or back-end. Generally you need a bit of graphic design talent for front-end work. You can spend a huge amount of time learning different languages and development environments so it's worth thinking what your general direction might be. I moved from Windows based development to web stuff about 25 years ago and decided to invest in learning PHP/MySQL. This worked out well as they're really stable, well supported languages. Also a lot of other frameworks are built on top of them. For front-end I wouldn't worry too much about details of HTML and CSS. Most people use some framework or templates that you can tweak to your own uses. I would use jQuery rather than any raw js and get your head around using this to manipulate the HTML DOM.I've used a number of PHP based development frameworks/CMSs. Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla and Expression Engine. Whilst they can be excellent and deliver an awful lot of functionality very quickly there tends to be a trade off that they straightjacket you into working a certain way and limit flexibility. Drupal for example is brilliant for sites aimed at shared authoring, but you struggle to adapt it to other uses. Hope this helps.
The main thing for me is that I want to turn this around into something I can work with in a relatively short-term time frame so I'm going to concentrate initially on what I think will offer the chance to do that and than hopefully expand from there.
Quote from: MischaHY on July 08, 2022, 07:29:01 amThe main thing for me is that I want to turn this around into something I can work with in a relatively short-term time frame so I'm going to concentrate initially on what I think will offer the chance to do that and than hopefully expand from there.Thinking about languages etc is obviously useful, but also worth shaping that by thinking about what you want this work to look like...Do you mean that you want to build small websites as a freelancer/one man band - so you can be flexible with how much time you spend working? Or do you mean that you want to get a full-time job in a software company (perhaps remote) - or something else entirely?Depending on that, you'd probably want to take a different route into learning and getting work.
Bad Behavior has blocked 2787 access attempts in the last 7 days.